• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

PT Boat In-Progress = 1/32 scale Lindberg Kit

Tankbuilder

Hi there.

It says that this sub-forum is for things that don't get stuck in the mud. I guess it's okay to put my heavily modified 1/32 scale Lindberg PT boat in here because they usually got stuck on coral reefs and not in mud. VBG LOL

This is a very heavily modified 1/32 scale Lindberg PT-109 model. It has many scratch-built parts on it. Lindberg really blew it when they designed this kit. They give you a hull for a 78' boat instead of the 80' one that PT-109 was. The profile of the bow bow is different on the 103 Class of 80' Elco boats too but I didn't bother to change that. In addition to that, Lindberg gives you a *LATE WAR* rear deck with two air vent funnels instead of four and they give you a large engine room vent instead of the proper engine room hatch cover. I have correct those errors and many others as well on this model.

The main deck has not been cemented to the hull yet as I need to add the base for the radio-control gear first.

I have also scratch-built much of the bridge and cockpit area as well as adding the splinter shields aft of the rear cabin. These images are in-progress shots and the aft splinter shields and many other parts are not glued in place yet. The torpedo tubes mounts will also be heavily reworked with the turntables for moving the forward ends of the torpedoes outboard scratch-built as well. The Lindberg instructions have the assemble of the torpedo tubs *BACKWARDS* and if you build this kit you need to put the aft end of the tubes onto the front and the front onto the aft end so that you have the proper spacing of the bands around the tubes when they are mounted in the racks. I also moved the deck hatch in front of the fore cabin to its proper location. On the foredeck of my model you can see some of the parts that go in the bridge area and they are the armor plate and supports for the splinter shields and the door for the aft end of the forward cabin. The long plastic piece (with what looks like an 'N' on the bottom)with the wire in it is the lengthened radio antenna housing. It goes on the outside of the port splinter shield by the bridge. The antenna mount Lindberg gives you is far too short.

I hope you like the work I've done on it so far.

Cheers from Peter

pt_boat_under_construction_01_20100512_1055228905.jpg

pt_boat_under_construction_02_20100512_1314320425.jpg

pt_boat_under_construction_03_20100512_1914997569.jpg

pt_boat_under_construction_04_20100512_2006525246.jpg

pt_boat_under_construction_05_20100512_1394780340.jpg

pt_boat_under_construction_06_20100512_1903689422.jpg

pt_boat_under_construction_07_20100512_1751989820.jpg

pt_boat_under_construction_08_20100512_1998122582.jpg

Peter,
Looks great... How about next time you add a little detail :woohoo: :evil:
Just kidding you buddy. Love what you have done to breath new life
into that old kit.
Saul, Love the reference picture.
Shawn

sharkmouth wrote:
Good stuff! I have the Italeri kit on hold for this scheme:

p10-pt196-p.jpg

Regards,

Hi Saul and others.

Thanks for the kind comments.

This thing is barely started and yes Shawn there are a lot more details to be added to this one.

Saul, are you going to add that experimental auxiliary gas tank on the aft end of that sharkmouth PT boat? You'll have fun doing that camouflage painting too. I have the Italeri kit too and there are a lot of very fine styrene pieces in it. Be *EXTREMELY* careful when removing the .50 caliber support pieces from the support trees because those pieces are very delicate. One of mine broke and fixing it is not easy.

By the time this old Lindberg kit is done there won't be much of the original kit left.

Cheers from Peter

Peter,

Talk about taking an old bad kit and making it look like a gem, great job! Somehow, I always like to see the ugly ducklings turned into beautiful swans more than other builds! Keep on keepin' on!

Bob

Back