• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Promodeler 1/48 Ju 52 FINISHED !

Promodeler 1/48 Ju 52 Episode 1, The innards !

Thanks again for your kind remarks gentlemen and now on with the show. Next up would be to attach the top and bottom sections to the fuselage. Even the top interior had detail, a radio set, a control panel and a winch not to mention cabin lights...

52-b14.jpg

I was a bit skeptical as to how well the top and bottom would fit considering how flexible the sides seemed to be but I was pleasantly surprised. I did do them as a progressive glue up doing a little at a time and flexing the sides where necessary for alignment but when all was said and done the fit was everything one could ask for and with the top and bottom in place the fuselage became really solid. The joins are on natural panel lines and no sanding or filling will be required...

52-b16.jpg

52-b17.jpg

I did need to use a bit of filler as there was a low spot near the seam on the lower nose but the seams where the bottom fit in are nearly invisible.

52-b18.jpg

I had a small step and a divot from a sprue attachment point on the nose

52-b19.jpg

And a bit of filler required just ahead of the tail. The surface detail on this kit blows me away, much better than the rivet divots seen on most new kits. The raised head rivets where the corrugated panels fit together look perfect and this on both the inside an outside of the fuselage walls, the dies for this kit must have been really expensive at the time.

52-b20.jpg

Of course I could have done without this...

52-b15.jpg

But I guess it's norm for Revell, I read somewhere that their new Stearman has it on it too.

Next the wings and tail were attached and it is beginning to look like an airplane...

52-b21.jpg

Wing fit was great both top and bottom, the port wing fit perfect, the starboard one required a bit of pressure during gluing but when set was fine...

52-b22.jpg

52-b24.jpg

and the tail planes while a a bit fiddly initially came out fine in the end both top and bottom...

52-b23.jpg

52-b25.jpg

Got a little glue squeeze out to fix. The support struts are just setting in place to get the tail alignment, they will be popped out to make painting easier.

Next it was on to the engines, I added spark plugs and wires. The pushrods were short and I filled the gap with super glue. When I got to the exhausts I hit the first annoying part of the build, they really didn't fit well and I had for the most part to glue the attachment points one at a time and let them dry before going to the next. I though they might be more visible as the back of the cowling is open but they disappear in the shadows so all the grief was mostly wasted...

52-b26.jpg

52-b27.jpg

I still need to attach the exhausts to the center engine and those will definitely be visible but the engines are ready to be mounted in their cowlings.

52-b28.jpg

I still need to clean up all the fiddly bits that get painted exterior colors and prime some spots to make sure they will look OK under paint. That may begin as early as this weekend. I did find that I had no sand color paint but it's on order and should arrive before I finish doing the standard splinter colors. In the mean time thanks for looking and stay tuned !

Outstanding progress Gary. I wish more would use natural panel lines for joints, it just makes sense.

:popcorn

The detail on that puts my Italeri Ju-52 to shame! They even got the offset on the vertical tail correct!

This is what I am thinking of for mine:

hc9b05a6.jpg

ZG-26, France, 1940.
57661d1299779321t-captured-ju87d-used-raf-112-sqn-ju-52b.jpg

Regards,

That should be a cool scheme Saul, I'm not familiar with the Italeri Ju-52, is it a new tool or a repop ?

Quick update, primary colors on, these are WEM's 70 and 71, I like the 71 as it seems darker than the MM 71, The 70 on the other hand seems a bit too green to me. Fortunately a large portion of both colors will be covered by the sand color. Both went on like silk, the WEM paints dry slower and I think that helps. Because of that I will be waiting about a week to make certain they are fully cured. At this point my intent is to use a Floquil railroad color for the sand and I find Floquil paints to be a bit hotter than most solvent based paints and I don't want any reactions between them if I can help it.

52-b29.jpg

Still working out the best way to go about applying the sand color, I may need to do some testing on my paint mule.

Promodeler 1/48 Ju 52 Episode 3, Paint part 1 !

...and I was missing this build :bang head ... Fantastic plane :frantic

Luiz

Promodeler 1/48 Ju 52 Episode 3, Paint part 1 !

Another quick update as the clock is running down on this campaign. I did have one glitch following the last update, in the process of moving it around I made the mistake of picking it up by the center of the fuselage sides and popped loose two of the window sections. Fortunately they didn't come clear out and I was able to push them back into position with a a wooden skewer and shoot in some more clear plastic cement in a few critical areas using an insulin syringe. This worked well but in the process I also knocked off one of the cockpit doors which also required regluing.

I know that some of the paint artists here would have no doubt free handed the sand color but between my shaky hands and and my poor hand/eye coordination I knew that wasn't gonna happen for me so I ended up masking. I basically covered the entire upper surface with tape then drew the pattern on with a marker and cut it using a very sharp blade. I tried at first to match the photo and profile I had and soon gave that up choosing instead to do the best I could. The profile was only someone's best guess anyway. In the process I managed to break off about half of the control surface mounting points so another thing that needs fixed. I still need to match the pattern to the control surfaces and cowlings. And no I didn't forget to paint the one horizontal stabilizer. Neither the profile or one other build I found in this scheme had any sand color on it so I assumed they knew more than me and did it the same way. Still have a few touch ups to do but here it is as of now...

52-b30.jpg

52-b31.jpg

52-b32.jpg

Getting harder to photograph these larger planes. Next step beyond what I mentioned above will be to paint on the national markings. I have an old Eduard set for this and am hoping it's still good. :idonno Also need to find or make the radio codes. Nine days and counting, wish me luck ! :zen

Promodeler 1/48 Ju 52 Episode 4, Paint part 2 !

Good luck Gary Sure you will make it Yhats one funky looking cammo I love it. :popcorn

:good: Love the symmetry of the camouflage on the wings, the whole thing looks just 'right'.

Ian

OK, it be done, another photo finish. This one gave me fits during the final finishing stages. To start with when I went to glue on the center engine I found that I had installed the intake manifold 180º out. The part has the keying part to mate to the fuselage. I managed to get it off but not without damaging several of the intake tubes, I tried fixing these but in the end I cut them all off and replaced them with solder. Had it been one of the outboard engines it wouldn’t have mattered but the intake manifold on the center engine is quite visible.

Next when I went to install the tail plane struts, which I had used early on to make sure the tail was glued on OK, they were no where to be found. Fortunately the landing gear parts for the landing gear with pants had a couple of airfoil struts that didn’t get used and I was able to modify them for replacements.

The exhaust stacks for the center engine also prove to be real fussy to install, I recommend drilling out the mounting holes before gluing the engine on. Also the cross over pipes and the manifold on the bottom of the fuselage didn’t meet right and I needed to extend them with some styrene round stock.

I made the center engine oil spray guard from an annealed aluminum beverage can. Some of these appear to have been factory fitted and others look like they were a field modification. The one on the aircraft I did appeared to be a field mod so making it was quite easy.

The bottom antenna support struts from the kit were broken so I replaced them with some fine brass wire. One of the actuator rods for the ailerons went ping and got eaten by the carpet monster. I also had to replace seven of the aileron mounting hinges that got broken off during masking and painting. Had it not been for all of these issues I would have finished almost a day earlier, But in spite of all these last minute aggravations I still really enjoyed this kit, Revell gets kudos’ from me for a well engineered and fitting kit and if I had the room would build another in heartbeat !

All of the markings were painted on. I had an old Eduard mask set for the national markings that worked pretty well. I found out as I went along that the cutting on them was not in perfect register and that wouldn’t have been an issue if I had paid attention and applied them exactly as they came on the sheet but a few of them got switched around so the crosses aren’t perfect but the photo and caption below shows they were hand painted anyway and I doubt if all the painters were artists ! I hand cut my own stencil for the radio codes. All in all I think painting beat trying to get decals to settle over all those corrugations.

52painting.jpg

Anyway, here she be, man I really need to get a better photo set up for these big planes !

52-b33.jpg

52-b34.jpg

52-b35.jpg

52-b36.jpg

52-b37.jpg

52-b38.jpg

Thanks for looking in !

Back