• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Promodeler 1/48 Ju 52 FINISHED !

Old Dog

My original pick for this group build was the MPM He 177. Unfortunately I have frittered away half of the allotted time and the combination of knowing what MPM kits are like, the scope and size of the kit and the huge amount of PE I have for the kit makes it unlikely that I could complete it the remaining time especially since most of what is left it prime outdoor time when I don't see much bench time. So instead I have chosen the Ju 52, not exactly a small build but one that purportedly goes together reasonably well. I acquired my kit around the time it was released in 1999 and the rather flimsy end open box did not hold up well in my stash, the final straw for it came when one of my furry creatures decided there was something inside it wanted and shredded the end of the box. Fearing I would start losing parts I transferred it to a plastic storage box. This required chopping up some of the sprues as they were too big to fit. The original decal sheet is mostly trashed so I am in the process of looking for suitable markings. I do have masks for the national insignia as I didn't relish the idea of trying to get large decals to settle over the corrugated wing and fuselage surfaces. Except for markings I intend this to be mostly out of box. Anyway here are the obligatory time stamp photos, it will probably be a few days before I start this as I currently have a rather large 1/29 scale locomotive on my workbench for some detail work and weathering.

52-timestamp1.jpg

52-timestamp2.jpg

Promodeler 1/48 Ju 52

I have the newer release of that kit and it looks very nice in the box. You might be able to get the new decal sheet from Revell. I"ve done that with a few sheets in the past and it has always worked out just fine.

Promodeler 1/48 Ju 52

That's one possibility but I would like to do something a bit different. I have an aftermarket sheet from AIMS but I recently used part of one of the red crosses on the sheet to do the gun tapes on my Hurricane and found them to be quite thick and I definitely wouldn't want to put those over the corrugations, however the red may have been thicker to make them opaque, the other plane on the sheet is this one

52-paint1.jpg

Another one I found is this one from the Mediterranean theater

Ju52_ICR2.JPG

But still lots of time to decide, I have masks for the crosses and a code letter font that I can use to make the code letters so at this point I can go most anyway.

Promodeler 1/48 Ju 52

That 52 from the Mediterranean would be very cool with that camo scheme like that.

Promodeler 1/48 Ju 52

Excellent choice, I'm not a 100% sure, but I think that this JU-52 was transferred from the Balkans to Crete.

:popcorn

All the best!
Dusan.

Promodeler 1/48 Ju 52

Good looking scheme Gary, thought you might of considered this one too! :drinks

Where_eagles_dare.jpg~original

Promodeler 1/48 Ju 52

OK, on with the show. I said initially that this was going to mostly OOB but as usual I got sucked in. The PE set for this kit was one of the before color sets but the IP was still better than I could do with the kit panel. Then I found the Quick Boost seats and decided that they easily trumped the kit seats and the molded on belts looked way better than PE belts so I got them too.

52-AM1.jpg

52-AM2.jpg

I have also decided to go with this paint scheme...

52paintprofile.jpg

In addition to the profile I have found a color photo of the other side and between the two I think I have enough info to pull it off. Besides being different I like the fact it has no yellow on it and only a narrow white band.

Anyway over the past week I managed to get the interior put together and without further verbiage here is the result...

52-b01.jpg

52-b02.jpg

52-b03.jpg

52-b04.jpg

52-b05.jpg

I then attached the floor assembly to the port fuselage side, the sides are very flexible up to this point since the top and bottom are separate pieces.

52-b06.jpg

52-b07.jpg

52-b08.jpg

52-b09.jpg

Note in this photo the instructions have you only glue the floor to the side and not the bulkheads as they claim it will make the roof easier to install, that is why there is a gap between the side and front bulkhead, this will pull in later. I also decided to leave out the bench seats down both sides, The lap belt detail on them was real soft and after several attempts at painting them I gave up and the thought of installing a dozen sets of PE lap belts was not appealing. These were either removed or folded up when carrying freight anyway.

52-b10.jpg

Once the port side was set the starboard side was attached...

52-b11.jpg

52-b12.jpg

And as filler work while doing the interior I got the wings together. Amazing how much easier it is when there are no wheel wells to deal with.

52-b13.jpg

So far I really liking this kit, the fit is great and so is the level of detail. Thanks for looking and stay tuned for more.

Promodeler 1/48 Ju 52

man, that is the nicest JU 52 I have seen to date (y) (y) . Gonna save this as reference material . :D

Cheers, Christian B)

Promodeler 1/48 Ju 52

Great work Gary, shame to close up all that nice detail in there, nice big windows though. :good:

Promodeler 1/48 Ju 52 Episode 1, The innards !

Have to say that the choice of camo really has me hooked, Gary. Sand over 71/70 (always) looks great... Did a Ju87 in that scheme some time ago and it just looked 'right'. Great progress, going to be a 'head-turner' for sure !!

Ian

Thanks guys, Bob I just like doing the interiors even if they do disappear. I know they are there and I have the photos to prove it :laugh:

I agree Gary. There's always a small glimpse of something in there .

When that happens, it always looks more appropriate :D

Cheers, Christian B)

There is also the roof and starboard fuselage cargo hatches that can be opened to show off more of the cargo area. I know the roof hatch is mentioned in the instructions as an option.

Cheers,
Rich

Always a pleasure to view your builds Gary, that is one lovely interior there. (y)

Back