• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

ploesti raider finished

Re: ploesti raider update 3/10

many thanks all.

chris i am just using an omni that i bought ten or so years ago.

joe

Joe,
You are on the right track for adding the faded paint look, your model looks great!

Keep in mind that if you fade the paint job the markings you put on might look too fresh and bright, no problem though because you can use your airbrush to fade the decals after they are on the model. Try spraying on some thinner tinted with the uppersurface color, mist on very light coats only on the decals themselves until they look as faded as the paint job. Don't hold your airbrush as close to the models surface as you would if you were painting with regular paints and dial back the P.S.I. on the regulator so as not to flood the model, very little P.S.I. will be needed for doing this type of job.

Matrixone

many thanks for the kind words.

i havent forgotten about the decals. they will be dealt with appropriately when i get to that point.

john see this does work well for aircraft.

joe

well all an update is in order.

last night at our monthly club meeting i placed the decals.

decals-1_zpsbefdf8b6.jpg

decals-2_zpsad5e4d42.jpg

decals-3_zps3240e0a8.jpg

decals-4_zps9a653455.jpg

what a contrast.

today i faded them out just a touch. again using a highly thinned od/flat white mixture.

faded-1_zps09985271.jpg

faded-2_zps5ca6dd9c.jpg

faded-3_zps32a45d99.jpg

faded-4_zps657c9fe6.jpg

faded-5_zps82c6e273.jpg

like that. although i do see some silvering on the katie decal on the starboard side. (think i got that right)

comments, critiques, and criticisms are encouraged.

joe

Re: ploesti raider update 3/16

so by those responses i take it i am moving in the right direction.

thanks for tagging along.

joe

Re: ploesti raider update 3/16

Decals are looking good Joe!

I was going to say the effect was a wee bit too heavy but I remembered the bombers that made the raids on Ploesti operated in very dusty conditions and looked quite weathered.

Usually when I spray on tinted thinner to fade my decals after I start to notice them start to lighten I stop and look at the model in different lighting conditions to help prevent the fading effect from going too far, its difficult to undo the fading if you think its overdone.

Matrixone

matrix you are right. when done it is difficult to undo. i am pretty happy with it.

folks i am going to call this one done.

she went together pretty dang smooth, except for the last few steps. the clear parts just didnt want to play well. i had some fogging and some bleeding. other than that she is a pleasure to build. as you can see though she didnt have enough weight in the nose.

finished-5_zpsc9b7451a.jpg

finished-4_zpsb2559d2b.jpg

finished-3_zps056bbdce.jpg

finished-2_zps7c2931ac.jpg

finished-1_zpsdb266f80.jpg

as i finished this and pulled out the next project i heard something though. i cannot place the sound. i havent heard it in a very long time.

more to come.

joe

Back