• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

panel shading

paddy

Pre shading is one of those things i need to get my head around...
I have had some failed attempts in the past because although my airbrush is capable of 1mm lines or less i simply cant do a straight line. Lines need to be ruler straight not just roughly straight :)

5qkm.jpg

How did this guy even begin to do this ?...anyone know the secret ?

I found my problem with drawing a straight line with an airbrush was I was moving my arm, try wrist action instead.

I wonder if a template, like a 1mm slot held off the surface so you dont get a sharp edge ? That would mean a straight line and remove the problem of line width variation with distance to the surface..

hold if off at a distance, I remember seeing the old school sign makers @Gator using a stick to steady their hand when free handing.

Also it helps to set your elbow on the table and them allow it to swing. If your arms are up in the air they will not move in a straight line at all.

Secret = speed ; the faster the pass the straighter the line. You just have to be lined up correctly. The places where they end at a right angle line like coming to a horizontal wing flap, just mask it so you can continue over it.
The stick method also works for your arm if positioned correctly. I have used this with painting straight lines on my art work using a brush.

I suppose the bottom line is its a nice artistic effect but probably not often found in real life. I mean when you look at the picture i posted above why would most of the wing structure bleed through aluminium sheet :) more likely i suppose on Fabric areas, flaps and fins etc, and panel lines ? would be invisible on1/48 scale i would think but a model might look odd without them ? I think pre shade is a compromise between drawn on panel lines, way over scale , and nothing at all because dirt around a panel line would be visible even though the line itself would not ?

Last edited:
My problem with preshading is I'm so heavy handed with the base coat it generally gets obliterate.

Back