• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

P-51B 'The Deacon' * * F I N I S H E D * *

P-51B 'The Deacon'

Managed to get a couple of hours at the bench after my chores this morning. In no particular order, I got this lot done:

Dry-brushed the cockpit internals with a lightened mix of the original cockpit green.

Sprayed various items with Tamiya glossy black in preparation for Alclad lacquer later on, (undercarriage legs, inside of gear doors etc, etc.). Also sprayed prop blades.

Painted tray and radio – will detail the radio later with some wire.

Sprayed the seat – I wasn’t happy with the same cockpit green as the rest of the insides.

Doesn’t sound like much but it was surprising how much time all this ‘little stuff’ managed to eat-up. Not worth taking any photos, so will put the camera to one side until I’ve oil-washed the insides added the belts & seat etc.

AFN

Ian

P-51B 'The Deacon'

Been movin' this along over the last few days. First I shot some Alclad onto the 'metal' bits:

Then took a deep breath and weathered the insides of the pit - just a dirty oil wash into the recesses followed by a little dry-brushing of the highlights - 'old skool' I think it's called nowadays. I also added the Eduard pre-painted seat harness from the Zoom set:

More in a minute, stay tuned :v

Ian

P-51B 'The Deacon'

A little black oil wash into the radiators made the detail 'pop':

...followed by a little careful brush painting in the wheel bays:

Feeling pretty pleased with my little self I put it to one side ready for final assembly. Hang-on there, don't go, got a little more to show you !!

Ian

P-51B 'The Deacon'

Most folks here will know that these Tamiya P-51 are just about the best cure for AMS that anyone could wish for, they really do build themselves... (Editorial disclaimer - Tamiya models do not actually build themselves, some human intervention is required). Nevertheless the construction from here-on-in was/is so straightforward as to not require any comment.

When I got to the bench this morning I was at this point:

All built with the very minimum of filling and sanding needed. Once that was done and the plastic polished with nothing more than elbow grease and an old piece of t-shirt, I assaulted it with some Tamiya grey primer straight from the rattle-can:

And this is where it will stay until after the weekend. Next-up... Pre-shading !!

AFN

Ian

P-51B 'The Deacon'

Great progress Ian, You can't go wrong with the Mustang B)

All the best!
Dusan.

P-51B 'The Deacon'

Pre-Shading done:

On the topsides I've used Tamiya acrylic 'Panzer Grey' and 'Chromate Yellow' on the underside Tamiya acrylic 'Field Grey'. The control surfaces are all my 'dirty black' home brewed mix.

To get the nice neat lines that I was after I simply removed the diffuser tip from the brush... Great 'cheat' that I might have learned from Les (Matrixone) some time back.

Leaving this to dry for a day or so, then will mask/spray the white for the invasion stripes etc. Stay tuned.

Ian

P-51B 'The Deacon'

To get the nice neat lines that I was after I simply removed the diffuser tip from the brush... Great 'cheat' that I might have learned from Les (Matrixone) some time back.

Ian

Do what?? :blink you take that last part off and you get straight lines? Guess I haven't been watching Les's work as long as you have Ian, never heard of this before.

Gotta try it now. :drinks

P-51B 'The Deacon'

Ian

Do what?? :blink you take that last part off and you get straight lines? Guess I haven't been watching Les's work as long as you have Ian, never heard of this before.

Gotta try it now. :drinks

...erm, not quite, Bob. You still need to wind the pressure right down (typically I use 10-12psi) AND have good, consistant control on the trigger, AND have you paint nice and thin, AND have a steady hand. Other than that it's a doddle :rotf

Ian

P-51B 'The Deacon'

So following from the last update, next step was to spray all the white areas including the ID stripes on the stabilisers that (in-turn) would be over-painted with OD, and the nose & fin which would ultimately be over-painted in red.

Stay tuned, more in a min....

Ian

P-51B 'The Deacon'

I'd decided late-on, that I'd be using enamels for the OD/Neutral Grey instead of the Tamiya acrylics I’d used on my similar D-Day P-47 from a couple of months back.

This time I allowed the pre-shading to recede into the overall tone a little more than on the P-47. It's difficult to make-out, but you can see it in the close-ups. If you squint at the stabilisers, you'll see the overpainted ID stripes too and the 'faded' OD on the fabric covered control surfaces.

In these last couple of pics, I've also sealed everything with a coat of Klear/Future. The hardest part of this project so far has been trying to paint the invasion stripes so they look like they were applied in a hurry but NOT like this is a badly painted model. Not certain this has worked, so whatever comments you'd like to make, I'd be happy to hear.

Next I'll add some chipping and paint-wear as it appears in the photo I posted a couple of weeks ago, then decals and a little more weathering. Stay tuned.

Ian

Back