• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

P-51B 'The Deacon' * * F I N I S H E D * *

ij001

Another delayed start:

You can just about see the Eduard 'Zoom' set at the edge of the photo. Other than that the only 'extra' will be a vac-form Malcolm hood. Decals aren't the freshest in the stash but hopefully won't turn to poo like the F-86 ones did a few months back:

OK that's all for now. More in a couple of weeks. Having said that, it's worth mentioning that if anyone has any questions, or comments and criticism of any of my projects, please let me know, happy to answer any and all.

AFN

Ian

P-51B 'The Deacon'

Looks like the Tamiya 48th scale kit to me Sherman.

Oh goodie goodie Ian! I'll be starting a B for this campaign soon too! (y)

P-51B 'The Deacon'

Indeed it is - the excellent Tamiya B/C which is why I need the vac-form Malcolm canopy. Cannot think why Tamiya didn't do it as a separate item !! :facepalm

Keep your powder dry folks, won't be cutting plastic on either of the 'Normandy Campaign' builds for a couple of weeks. F-86 & M4 first !!

Ian

P-51B 'The Deacon'

It's all Chef & Jeff's fault....

The P-51 is now on the bench. Insides will be sprayed this a'noon wings are already together, photos later today, maybe tomorrow.

Should be a quick build, but the 'colouring-in' will take a bit of thought !! - aiming for this at the end of the process. As ever, happy to take any questions, comments and criticism along the way.

Ian

P-51B 'The Deacon'

OK, with the Jag finished and sitting happily in the cabinet, time to get this and the Macchi to the bench. Having built a few of Tamiya's P-51 over the years I know that there isn't too much to see once the cockpit is done. As I'm using the Eduard Zoom set for the IP, sidewalls and belts, I'll be sanding and carving the details off before shooting some paint. I'll get some pics done once the 'etch' is all in place.

h4ecf7f0.jpg

Found this photo QP*J - interesting the care that's been taken masking and applying the stripes around the star and squadron codes.

AFN

Ian

P-51B 'The Deacon'

Interesting to see that on the color drawing the P has white backing of the invasion stripes but the picture shows that it has the dark green inside (Might even be black or freshly repainted dark green)) :S

P-51B 'The Deacon'

You know those paint jobs were ever evolving process. The Invasion Strip order did not last long and some of the pilots like them so they cleaned them up, filled in gaps and personalized them like removing the upper treatment but leaving the lower.

Looking forward to this Ian :popcorn

P-51B 'The Deacon'

Thanks for all the comments, chaps. So I grabbed a couple of hours at the bench this a'noon and this sort of 'happened'...

What you see here is simply base colours with the Eduard Zoom set in place (love these, jus' luvvem :blush: ). No weathering at this stage, will start that next week. Interesting tonal difference between the fuel cell (50/50 Tamiya Red Brown & Matt Black) and the cockpit floor (Tamiya Matt Black straight from the jar). I use the brown/black colour for tyres, invasion stripes etc... hardly ever use straight matt black.

AFN

Ian

P-51B 'The Deacon'

Thanks for the positive comments, chaps. Really looking forward to getting back at it tomorrow... well, once I get theDaddies Little Stormtroopers to school and SWMBO off-to-work :coolio

Ian

Back