• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

P-40 E Dottie II

Okay I'd forgotten about this. For some reason Hasegawa have added a frame to the windscreen. So carefully scraped off with hobby knife and then sanded with 150 grit then 400 grit wet and dry. Then extra fine steel wool. Be really careful or you can get stress fractures. Here is what it looked like after.

can1.jpg

If I where smart I would have taken a pic of the frame.
Then I used toothpaste as the final sanding. It has to be a white toothpaste that is gritty. Gels dont work. An added bonus is you canopy smells minty fresh :laugh:

can2.jpg

This is what it looked like after the toothpaste.

can3.jpg

Then a dip in future. Let it sit a while as it seems to be stronger and clearer with a prolonged dip.

can4.jpg

I will let this sit in a dust free area for a few days because I found that sometimes the mask will remove the future if you mask it too soon. The canopy in front has dried for 2 days. The windscreen in back hopefully will look the same when dry. I might have to strip and do it again. I leave it on paper towel to wick off excess future and eliminate the drip pool at the bottom.

James

Nice! I remember my Polish friends eyes bulging when I intentionally (and lightly) scratched a canopy to show the technique.

Regards,

I've been lurking on this build up to now, James. The P-40 has always been a fav of mine, really enjoying your process!! (y)

Click me to go shopping...c'mon, you KNOW you want to!

Seen Eclipse Model Design's Propeller and Fishtail Exhausts? By July, they will have Diamond Treaded Main Gear Wheels.

Regards,

Thanks all. Saul, thats not fair. Now I have to find some more money and with all the snow the tree isnt sprouting yet :laugh:
Seriously I think I'll get those end month as they look light years better than the kits offerings.
James

Just to show I am making progress. Bottom painted. Need to do landing gear and touch ups and detailing, but man I love the Vallejo Air and how easy it went on.

bottom1.jpg

James

How will you handle the landing light? Though of foiling it with Mylar from a candy wrapper?

Regards,

Hey James are they not cool paints ! My only complaint is that they stay kind of soft for a longer period than the Tamiyas. Wish they were more readily available at the LHS.

Cheers,Christian B)

Hey James are they not cool paints ! My only complaint is that they stay kind of soft for a longer period than the Tamiyas. Wish they were more readily available at the LHS.

Cheers,Christian B)

I'm giving it a day before I mask. Might run the hair dryer over it in the morning just to be sure. I buy mine from Sprue Brothers and E Bay from the UK, Panther Models. Also bought some from a couple of other ebay shops.

James

Cheers,Christian B)

You find a LHS that has it, I'll drive!

That's my main complain. No one around here. Gastonia has the model colors but not the Air.
If you had not been eating crabs a while back I think they were in Atlanta. A bit far for everyday runs ! :sick: Primer is great also...
Cheers, Christian B)

Back