• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

P-38M Night Lightning

RichB

Using Harv's 1/32 P-38M for inspiration, I'm going one size smaller with the Academy/Minicraft 1/48 P-38M adding AeroMaster decals, True Details wheels and cockpit modified for the RO's office.

DSCF0067edited.jpg

DSCF0068edited.jpg

Let the adventure begin.

:drinks
Rich

Another that alludes me, something about twin booms I can't complete. Good luck Rich, looking forward to this :popcorn

Using Harv's 1/32 P-38M for inspiration, I'm going one size smaller with the Academy/Minicraft 1/48 P-38M adding AeroMaster decals, True Details wheels and cockpit modified for the RO's office.

DSCF0067edited.jpg

DSCF0068edited.jpg

Let the adventure begin.

:drinks
Rich

Good luck Rich . Been watching Harv all this time .

If you get tired of this one , a Javelin would be cool to :D

Cheers, Christian B)

A quick update of the last few days work. Pilot's cockpit is painted up, added some extra wiring, an O2 line and some levers.

DSCF0076edited.jpg

Starting from the standard aft radio compartment,

DSCF0070edited.jpg

I removed everything that didn't belong in the RO's cockpit, leaving me with a lovely resin block.

DSCF0071edited.jpg

Added some styrene stock to the sides to get a better fit in the RO hump and extended the floor a bit in the area behind the pilot's seat.

DSCF0077edited.jpg

Back to the bench,
(after I do dishes)
Rich

Been awhile for this one. Scratch built boxes and wiring for the RO's office, Eduard PE harness and the kit radar set with an add-on sun shield. Cut the canopy bow from another P-38M rear canopy. The Academy P-38J/L has the same clear sprue including the RO canopy. Will have to sand the same amount off the canopy.

cockpit7.jpg

cockpit6.jpg

cockpit5.jpg

cockpit2.jpg

Cheers,
Rich

Thanks guys.

I think I'll have to change the gun sight to a K-14 as they started showing up in P-38's late in the production run. Have to do some more reading on that. Then it will be onto the bane of all P-38 builds, the dreaded tail booms. :unsure:

Cheers,
Rich

Back