• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Need Airbrush Help...for reals this time

TomN

Hi Guys

I was reading that my Iwata HP-B has a 0.19mm needle, but actually the needle
measures 0.047" [1.19mm] in diameter. Are they talking about the nozzle opening diameter?

Anyways, I'm finding this brush is good for detail work, but I'm having trouble
doing base coats and am thinking about the Iwata Eclipse HP-CS w/ 0.35mm needle. I need
more paint flow I think.

Any thoughts?
Thanks, Tom

I don't have those brands but I can see how the little nozzle would slow you down on primer coat.

I really can't answer Tom but...:popcorn

I bought an old fashioned Badger 200 recently for primer and block colours. Works great. Now my finer tipped brushes are for detail work. I know it doesnt answer your question per se, but it is an alternative.
James

Thanks Guys

Well, I pulled the trigger (so to speak) on the HP-CS...wife told me too, seems I was pouting or something..

Still curious as to what the needle dia. is in referance too...?

I'll let you know what I think of the new brush when it gets here...got some repainting to do :(

Tom

I think that generally applies to the nozzle Tom.

checking out the site,
http://www.iwata-medea.com/products/iwata-airbrushes/high-performance-plus/hp-b-plus/hp-b-plus-specifications/

So yes sir, the way I read this is the nozzle opening is .2mm with an optional .3mm tip. By comparison, my Sotar has a .2mm tip and it's very painful to cover something with it. I don't even try anymore.

Tom I don't know your brand of airbrush but this site, I know its been posted here before, If you have seen it then maybe it could help someone else reading this thread for help. CR

https://sites.google.com/site/donsairbrushtips/

Do let us know how you solve this. :popcorn

I have several Iwata airbrushes including a HP-B Plus and never had any problems spraying base coats with any of them.

It will take longer to spray a base coat with the smaller nozzle size airbrushes but thing the job gets done.

If you must have a dedicated airbrush for spraying base coats the Iwata Revolution CR has a larger spray nozzle and large paint color cup and would be ideal for spraying primer and base coats.

Matrixone

Shalom.

My basic airbrush has interchangeable tips. There's a narrow one, a medium one and a wide one. The one that came with it is the medium one.

Can you not get different tips for your airbrush?

Cheers

Tom, I have an iwata revolution with a .30mm tip and for stuff as small as 48 scale putting on a base coat is not that bad but for larger areas I use my Badger 200 and I set it to a pattern that gives me about a 2 to 2.5 inch coverage and this helps me fairly well.
I do have a badger 105 patriot but it sprays like a lawn sprinkler and not like an air brush.

You may try the NEO it has a larger tip and is about 60.00 at Hobby Lobby and a 40% coupon gets it in the 30.00 range.

Thanks Guys

I went ahead and ordered the Iwata HP-CS. It has a 0.35mm needle and spray pattern of 2", roughly twice what
the HP-B has. Should be here this coming week.

I need to work on my paint thinning/air pressure ratio too, as much as I am thinning the paint, I think it is
still too thick and coming out rough and dusty looking.

Tom

I need to work on my paint thinning/air pressure ratio too, as much as I am thinning the paint, I think it is

Tom

Yep, more thinner and move in closer, paint is drying before it hits the target.

Tom

Yep, more thinner and move in closer, paint is drying before it hits the target.

That's the bad thing about acrylics.

If you are airbrushing with Tamiya acrylics,..[they are not 100% acrylics,but more like lacquer paints btw],try to mix in some Tamiya X22-clear,it will give you a more smooth satin finish,after the weathering stage it will look OK.
If you like me,want to mess around with pigments,especially on the erea behind the wheels,leave those places without the X22-clear in the paint,pigments work best on flat finishes.

Good luck,Tom!

Greetings,Ron.

Here Tom, I guarantee you'll get good coverage with this one :D
IMG_0121.JPG

My 1970ish first airbrush
899.gif

I've found if you are covering a larger area having you paint a bit to thin is better then to thick, it just takes a few more passes to get the same opacity, but you end up with a much smoother finish.

Haha...did you used to hook it up to an inner tube?

I think my paints too thick and spraying at too high a pressure. I watched a youtube video
where the guy thinned his Tamiya paints 2:1...that's 2 parts thinner to one part paint, and
it still came out nice.

Hey Ron
I got Tamiya paints, Tamiya lacquer thinner, Tamiya clear gloss, Tamiya retarder...I got it all!
Hopefully can mix it all together and get decent results. Should be doing some experimenting this
weekend.

Thanks
Tom

About the diameter.
The given diameter is the nozzle size. When people say "0.2mm" needle, it is wrong.
The diameter of the needle vary between brands and models, and needles for one brand or models 0.2mm nozzles might even have a smaller diameter than another brand or models 0.35mm nozzle airbrush.
What usually is important is the taper. Wrong taper, and the needle might either not fit, or it will damage the nozzle.

Magnus
Thank you for the info! Makes sense to me...probably best not to mix and match brands.
Having good luck with Iwata, so I'll just stick with them.

Tom

Back