• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

My first Diorama (could be my last )

That looks pretty good, Paddy! I agree, the stucco is a bit too rough for the scale, but a little sanding should smooth it out.

(y) (y)

That house looks really neat but I'd reduce the prominance of the exterior stucco as in real lifr=e it looks pretty fine.

You and Shawn Gehling should correspond with each other as he's a master at making low cost but well detailed buildings using some sort of craft foam. Im sure Shawn has lots of tips you can use in future buildings.

Hey, I don't see Shawn in the member's list. Has something happened to him?

I'll be watching this build to see how you light proof your walls.

Cheers

the building is now plastered and has a dust coat of TAMIYA smoke ans light sand. I will leave any further weathering till its in position on its base so i can blend it in.
The thing about doing something like this for the first time is it throws up problems along the way which i suppose is the fun bit...it is for me anyway :)
The polystyrene shows light through so the wall glow where the plaster does not cover well so i need to paint the inside walls. also because you can now see in the building i will need to detail the inside.....this could turn into a little "dolls house " if i'm not careful :laugh:

DSC_7286.jpg

DSC_7285.jpg

The plaster is a bit coarse but i think i need to do that or it will look to smooth if you reduce the coarseness to scale.

BAm, love it Paddy :popcorn

Thanks guys :)
I made a door today out of just ordinary Balsa. I hinged it with a couple of bits of tube and a couple of pins as you will not see the hinges inside. I gave the wood a really light coat of Black water colour which gave it that silver look of aged dried wood. #I also gave the inside a coat of Old English White to stop the light shining through the polystyrene which has worked well. You can spray polystyrene with tamiya rattle cans without it melting :)

DSC_7288.jpg

DSC_7292.jpg

My next problem is if i do what i planned this is going to get too big. I spaced out a few trucks and some buildings (books) and i think i will need to condense it all a bit. I need a building that could be a workshop. I'm wondering about an open sided thing with a corrugated iron roof. these trucks must have needed constant repair given the terrain and conditions, i bet springs broke all the time but i cant find any reference to Army workshops in North Africa/lybia I hope they were not all tents...i dont fancy making a large tent :(

I will need to get some wooden cocktail stick for the bars at the windows. For some reason they all seemed to have bars.

I found this picture from 1943 of REME guys in North Africa at work. I like the building :)
REME = Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers.

large.jpg

Paddy, man....shoulderknock, shoulderknock...you've got the idea (y)

You can make everything yourself, no expensive PE or resin !
Just use your imagination, like your door, how does it look.
Try something, and it works ;)

Just one warning: dont go to far or you will end up like Bob Letterman :D

Samples of my inside hut, everything from scratch, with cheap materials.
Had a lot of fun with the swingable cooking pot: in and out the fireplace :cheer:

uranus_21.jpg

uranus_22.jpg

Lots of succes,

Willem

...X-mas time is coming up...your little building would look good beneath the tree,with the lights on. :laugh:

Like the way you are going with this one,Paddy. (y)

Greetings,Ron.

I know what you mean Ron :) it just needs a little donkey outside and a star overhead :laugh:

This is the start of my rough take on this building

large.jpg

DSC_7295-1.jpg

Obviously a long way to go and i would love to see the roof. I guess its a square tiled pyramid. the open sheds on the side are exactly what i was thinking of. I'm glad they really did exist :)

Hi there.

A few years ago I lucked out and bought at the blowout price of $2.99 each some 1/32 scale farmhouse buildings some of which were one story houses with half round tile peaked roofs. Each piece is a fairly good size but the front piece has a small dormer window in it. Therefore the two sections of useable tiles are 9.75" x 3.5" (24.5cm x 9.0cm) for one piece and 5.5" x 3.5" (14cm x 9.0cm) for the other piece. If you would like one of these pieces in your project let me know and I'll post one of them to you.

Cheers

Thanks for the offer but i am going to use a little artistic licence. I have ordered a couple of sheets or corrugated iron :). I was going to make some but its so cheap it wasn't really worth buying the dowls to make a jig. a large sheet was £3.00 and the dowels were going to be £6....lol
For tiles i will cut up some balsa sheet and make some wooden tiles. They use them over here on church roofs sometimes as well as bus stop shelters and they look quite rustic. the more i can make myself the better really after all thats the game here :)

Thanks for the offer but i am going to use a little artistic licence. I have ordered a couple of sheets or corrugated iron :). I was going to make some but its so cheap it wasn't really worth buying the dowls to make a jig. a large sheet was £3.00 and the dowels were going to be £6....lol
For tiles i will cut up some balsa sheet and make some wooden tiles. They use them over here on church roofs sometimes as well as bus stop shelters and they look quite rustic. the more i can make myself the better really after all thats the game here :)

No problemo Paddy.

Just thought the tile section might be a bit easier and faster for you. Being that you are quoting prices in pounds I'm assuming you are in the UK area somewhere. It'd probably take a while for my tiles to reach you this time of year. I'm very interested to see how you make your tiles. It is always nice if you can make stuff yoursel as then you can make more later if you want to.

Cheers

you get the idea :laugh:

DSC_7296.jpg

Looks like this building was actually in Sicily not Across the Med so will have to North africanise it a bit, flat roof etc.

Back