• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

My first Diorama (could be my last )

I found this vac formed corrugated sheet on the web in 1/35 scale

DSC_7298.jpg

sheets are 14" x 7" and £3.50

http://www.form-u-lay.co.uk/Accessories.php

Lookin good so far Paddy (y) , Thanks for the link, looks like they have a few things I might be interested in as I want to start on dio's myself so I am watching with interest :D

:drinks

Thanks Art..:) I can assure you everything i do i do with fingers crossed it will work :laugh:

I have plastered the second building today and started work on the left workshop. I also cut up some of my vac formed corrugated sheet in to scale 6ft x 4 ft sheets and painted it. might need a bit more paint later. Just working on the arched door at the moment. I also added some detail inside the ground floor which you cant see here :)

DSC_7306.jpg

I'm going to have to stop and do something about Xmas soon......lol maybe send a card or two at least :laugh: I got this 1/48 special hobby Anson to do so i will take a break from this soon.
I also have three Ducati's to crate up and send to Australia!! that will be fun...not :)

Started making some tables and boxes and collecting other bits to put inside. Non of it has to be that good as you will only see it through the window.

DSC_7307.jpg

If i make a few bits now and then i will have enough by the time i need them to make the rooms look busy.

Another small part of the jigsaw

DSC_7311.jpg

I didn't do WIP for this because so many have done it before. Probably one of Tamiya's worst ever kits for detail and missing parts. It does however build into something acceptable but i would recommend the PE set from Eduard. the flash has illuminated under the wheel arches so i need to mess them up a bit :)

Hi there.

I have a number of those kits. Three are still in their boxes and are bot started yet. I bought Italeri Jerry Cans to replace the Tamiya ones with. I also lucked out and got a number of the Italeri Commando Car kits from which I swiped the Lewis guns and their ammo drums plus the ammo boxes. I think the Italeri weapons are finer with more detail than the Tamiya SAS Jeep kit ones.Whose .50 cal mg did you use? I used Italeri ones.

For the age of the Tamiya kit it's fairly good. The price is still pretty reasonable too. Until recently it was the ONLY source for SAS figures. I saved the upper torsos from a number of mine to combine them with Tamiya British 8th Army lower parts to make standing figures.

I'm watching this build to see how it turns out. You're doing great so far.

Cheers and Happy Holy Days

I used the kit guns but replaced the barrels on the lewis guns with brass tube. I figured the big gun was a Browning so i used 303 cal belt feed ammo i had left over. I have the Tamiya accessory set and that has great jerry cans so there is no excuse for the ones in this kit. I used the kit ones anyway but cut off the moulded in straps and used the PE ones as you can see.

DSC_7310_01.jpg

It looks really good. Did you put a line from the condenser or is it just not visible due to the angle?

Regarding Tamiya Jerry cans, all the early Tamiya US style Jerry cans gad only two handles. Even their early Jerry can accessories set had two handled cans. This kit is from the mid-1970s and shows its age but can still be built into a nice model as you have shown.

Is your dioram going to have just the on SAS jeep in it with the LRDG truck?

Cheers

It will have the Jeep and the LRDG truck leaving the scene, setting off on another mission. Other trucks will be in maintenance. I might add the Commando Jeep to those leaving. In the workshops will be the Ford tractor and a chevy truck. I also have some other bits and pieces but i dont want to crowd the scene so i will see how it goes. I got the base today. The local timber yard cut me a piece of 9mm ply 650 x 550mm. Its more like a model village than a diorama ..............lol. Its my first attempt ! I will learn :)
I need another building to balance the two i have so i need to do some thinking.
Today i have been making a tent !!

It will have the Jeep and the LRDG truck leaving the scene, setting off on another mission. Other trucks will be in maintenance. I might add the Commando Jeep to those leaving. In the workshops will be the Ford tractor and a chevy truck. I also have some other bits and pieces but i dont want to crowd the scene so i will see how it goes. I got the base today. The local timber yard cut me a piece of 9mm ply 650 x 550mm. Its more like a model village than a diorama ..............lol. Its my first attempt ! I will learn :)
I need another building to balance the two i have so i need to do some thinking.
Today i have been making a tent !!

The jeep and the truck can balance the scene if placed in a good position relative to the buildings.

Make sure you seal that plywood really well if you intend to apply something like Plaster of Paris or if you intend to wet down your ground cover to get it to stick.

People who build dioramas learn something new with each one they build. I bet even Bob Letterman learns something new with his.

Yours sounds like it will tell quite the story when it's done.

Cheers and Happy Holy Days.

I don't really do Christmas. I'm not religious, I don't have any family or friends near where i live so today i made the basics of another house. I don't know if i will use it yet. I will plaster it and have another look. Kept me busy for the day anyway :)

DSC_7313.jpg

Lack of forward planing is causing me problems now.

DSC_7315.jpg

I have two town houses and a village hut type house so i think i need to scrap my first effort hut and build something more in keeping with the other two.......which is a pain :)

I sort of have the idea that these buildings have been commandeered and are being used as a transport hub repair/HQ. The large building will have a canvas roofed lean too on the end with a workshop. some sort of lookout/radio/gun post on the roof. The middle size building will have a corrugated iron roof workshop

Its the small building that doesn't fit. It was going to be a sort of guard post with a road block and liftable pole and the whole area mostly walled in with the entrance at the guard post.
I need ideas and i need things to break up the bare walls, lamps, telephone wires or any ideas ??

Maybe the third building should be a tent ?

Ideas please (y)

Building position is obviously flexable

DSC_7318.jpg

Propaganda posters on the walls. A vine or two growing up one or the other, downspouts or some sort of pipes? What about a window garden that the lady of the house was attending to before the seizure?

Extra building? Guess you're in for another Dio afterall then. :popcorn

I dont know how to do flowers and vines. I need to do some web research. Roof drainage is a good idea :)

Back