• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

My first Diorama (could be my last )

paddy

I cant say I have an order or a plan here but as I'm making it up as i go along, so I might as well post it here.......as i go along :)
I plan a Diorama based round a long range desert patrol group, LRDP/SAS group about to leave the motor pool in a North African town.
I want a couple of buildings, i want a repair workshop, stores supply's, a LRDP consisting of a couple of jeeps and a Chev 30cwt working as desert raiders. I expect i will think of other details as i go along. I want this to be a busy scene but not filled up with models just for the sake of it so each addition has to be relevant.
Today i have been messing about with ideas for North African buildings. Fortunately these are pretty basic which suits me fine as this is my first attempt at anything like this. Of coarse you can just buy model buildings in kit form but i want to make this a little more individual. I need a challenge or i lose interest quite quickly.
I bought a couple of expanded polystyrene ceiling tiles from the hardware store, these are 50cm x 50cm x 8mm. i cut one up to make a basic 4 sided block and then cut a bit to fit inside for a roof. I will not be using this as its just a test to try out ideas. I wanted to check the white glue didn't melt the polystyrene and that it was strong enough. I coated one side in Ceramic tile grout/glue which gives a sort of plaster finish and again i needed to check this would not attack the polystyrene and that it would set and stay stuck. The ceiling tiles have a stippled finish so the grout sticks quite well. i need to perfect my surface finish but i think with some wooden frames for doors and windows this idea could work well for a building.

DSC_7273.jpg

DSC_7274.jpg

I think i have the scale about right. Obviously i am working at about 1/35 but not knowing the size of original buildings i am guessing door and window sizes based on a 54mm figure,
Hopefully the pictures and subject will get more interesting as i get going properly.
Thanks for looking (y)

Good start Paddy. Just in case you are interested Miniart makes a building also.

1649_rd.jpg

Maybe if someone has one they could give dimensions to help you out.
James

Good start Paddy. Just in case you are interested Miniart makes a building also.

1649_rd.jpg

Maybe if someone has one they could give dimensions to help you out.
James

MiniArt gives the dimensions of the buildings on their site.

This one is, 222 mm long 224 mm high and 125 mm wide.

Cheers

TBH i see that as a town house rather than a desert village house. I will use artistic licence and invent a house :laugh:
This is more what i had in mind

http://www.fieldsofglorymodels.co.uk/WebRoot/Store3/Shops/es112712_shop/4FC0/98C4/9C80/F82E/11ED/0A0F/1118/D5E6/563.JPG

It is my first attempt :laugh:

This is the building i will go with. Its just pinned together here and the apertures are large but will seem smaller once I have fitted lintels and frames. It needs a staircase up the side and a wooden roof....more to think about :)

DSC_7277.jpg

added a figure for scale ;)

Hi Paddy,

"My first diorama(could be my last)"
Once you get the hang of it, you are hooked for life ;)
You are doing well friend (y)

Just remember, plaster is hard to paint, it sucks the water.
Best to do is first seal it with a good varnish, and then washes, paints etc.

I made a Russian hut the same way:
uranus_8.jpg

Succes !!

Willem

Sometimes there is no external staircase and the stairs to the roof are inside the house and there's a trap door on the roof.

Either way you do it looks like you're off to a good start.

Cheers

Quick house update !

Its all looking a bit new but we can fix that later :) Rafters are just balanced in place so i can remove them for plastering :) I will cut them down a bit as well

DSC_7280.jpg

DSC_7281.jpg

Gone for external stairs because it adds interest :)

Picked these up yesterday at the LHS. A pack of ten 3v LED's for £5 and a battery pack for £1.30.
Just need to find a switch and some very thin wire and we cabn bring this to life. the 3v LEDs give off a nice yellow light as you would get from a tilly lamp or gas light. they are about 1/8" long so x35 would make them 5.25" to scale which is near enough :)

DSC_7283.jpg

Hope to do some plastering later on my house :)

The LED's will give the building some interesting touch,Paddy. (y)
Wonder what you will use for plastering material,what will stick to the coarse insolationfoam walls?

Greetings,Ron.

The LED's will give the building some interesting touch,Paddy. (y)
Wonder what you will use for plastering material,what will stick to the coarse insolationfoam walls?

Greetings,Ron.

At the start of the thread there is a practice building which i plastered the front with Ceramic tile adhesive/grout :) that stays put :)

the building is now plastered and has a dust coat of TAMIYA smoke ans light sand. I will leave any further weathering till its in position on its base so i can blend it in.
The thing about doing something like this for the first time is it throws up problems along the way which i suppose is the fun bit...it is for me anyway :)
The polystyrene shows light through so the wall glow where the plaster does not cover well so i need to paint the inside walls. also because you can now see in the building i will need to detail the inside.....this could turn into a little "dolls house " if i'm not careful :laugh:

DSC_7286.jpg

DSC_7285.jpg

The plaster is a bit coarse but i think i need to do that or it will look to smooth if you reduce the coarseness to scale.

Back