• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Messerschmitts X 3

Thank you Paul!

Its been too hot to do much modeling the past three weeks but temps are getting lower so I can get back to work on the Erla 109, all the decals are now on and just a short time ago Future was sprayed over the decals to seal them in.

h8f01a2a.JPG

h26a5f87.JPG

h8ef701c.JPG

Matrixone

Very colorful bird Les, like the very subtle shading around the color bands, is that from post or preshading?

Thanks guys!

Bob,
The pre-shading effect on the lower part of the RVD band was not done by pre-shading, when I sprayed on the flat white for the base coat for the RVD band I left the areas where I wanted the pre-shading effect to appear with a very light coat of white paint to give the illusion the red and yellow area under the fuselage band to have been pre-shaded.

The tail planes are not glued in just yet...I will leave them off for now to make it easier to add some of the weathering effects, the tail planes will be glued on just before the flat clear coat.
hee65f00.JPG

hb9242ca.JPG

Next up for this model is some pin washes with oil paint.

Matrixone

Thanks Ed and Mike!

The real fun with building this model has begun...weathering! :)

Here are some in-progress pictures of my work with oil paints.
The undersurface of the wings were given a pin wash and the excess has been wiped away, the oil paint on the lower fuselage and wing center section has not been wiped away just yet, the oil paint has to set up for a short time before wiping it off so it will stain the paint a little better. I want these areas to look more dingy than the rest of the airframe, late war 109's could get really dirty on the undersurfaces and I want my model to look the part.

h5787dde.JPG

hef6ec3f.JPG

h21c1ee7.JPG

The panel lines on the rear fuselage look way too dark now but this will be toned down quite a bit after spraying on some dirt colored enamel paint. :eek:ldguy

Matrixone

Thanks very much Ed and Swordsman!

I am finished with the oil paint treatment in the panel lines for now...more will be done after the flat coat is sprayed on but will be very limited.

h9a1e108.JPG

hcb2b8e9.JPG

The pin wash with oil paint was done on the upper surfaces too, I used shades of dark gray for this so as not to make the panel lines stand out too much.

h17644fe.JPG

h7522f5c.JPG

hced478f.JPG

hf65fc16.JPG

Unlike Hasegawa, Revell molded the small cooling air scoops closed up on their kit...I painted black paint on the front of the air scoops to give the illusion they are open.

h9cf2d12.JPG

hb5143cc.JPG

A lot of the remaining weathering will be done with enamel paint with a paint brush and the airbrush.

Matrixone

Shaping-up to be one of your best, Les... well certainly one of your most colourful.

Ian.

Dear Les.

Congratulations for the markings chose...the colors are splendid :good:

The weathering treatment looks superb so far!

One of the best from yours (y)

:drinks

Luiz

It's always fun watching you work my friend!

BTW, my He177 book has arrived, and after a quick look through the pages it was quickly packed up with rest of my reference material, but it does look like it will be a good one! Thanks for the recommendation!

Mike

Thanks very much for the comments!

Mike,
Another book that might be helpful is the Classic Publications soft cover book on Luftwaffe Bombers 1943-1945, this book does not cover the He 177 exclusively but there is some coverage of it. Not sure if its still available but if you happen to see it at a shop its worth picking up.

Some work on weathering the Erla G-10 was done, I have added more paint chipping and wear around the wing roots and dirtied up the undersurfaces with some light earth colored paint...most of the dirt and grime was put on on the rear of the fuselage.

hc976d97.JPG

h2831266.JPG

h7482bed.JPG

h9e4fe5b.JPG

h91b46ba.JPG

h30d4c05.JPG

Due to the recent heat wave here its been impossible to get much done on any of the models but the temps are supposed to drop down to normal levels in a day or two so maybe I get this model finished soon. :eek:ldguy

Matrixone

Back