• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Messerschmitts X 3

matrixone

Now its a party...here are my three entries in this GB.

The first one is the most important to me, its the impressive Revell 1/32 scale Bf 109G-10 Erla that our own PaulW has sent me as a gift, THANKS Paul! (y)

h212b87f.JPG

The second is this old Pro-Modeler 1/48 scale Me 110G-4 that I have had since the late 1990s.

h0195965.JPG

The last is the Revell Me 262 in 1/72 scale.

h76bf02e.JPG

Matrixone

No disrespect meant to the 109 or the 262, but I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do with the 110, Les. So let's check....

Beer, :drinks, yup.

Pizza, :popcorn , yup.

and time-to-watch :pinch: , erm, no, not really, kids on summer-break for another month, so not really going to happen !! - I'll check-in when I can.

Ian.

Because my production line of models is jammed full at the moment I won't be able to start any of the kits for this GB for at least two weeks.

I have not yet decided on which markings the Bf 110G-4 will get, the top two choices so far are a couple of NJG 7 aircraft. The one Bf 110G-4 that I really want to do has a badly worn finish with some re-painting done on it but I can't do that one because the kit does not come with the correct type of radar antenna.

The Erla Bf 109G-10 is also proving to be a challenge in coming up with alternate markings for it, there is nothing wrong with the kit decals I just want this model to be a little different than what most of the other builders of this kit will turn out. I have a large enough reference library but the downside to that it is taking a huge amount of time to look up the photographs of all the known Erla built 109s.
There is one Erla G-10 that looks interesting and I might have some decals to match it too but I am still looking for other possible markings options.

Matrixone

I have not yet decided on which markings the Bf 110G-4 will get, the top two choices so far are a couple of NJG 7 aircraft. The one Bf 110G-4 that I really want to do has a badly worn finish with some re-painting done on it but I can't do that one because the kit does not come with the correct type of radar antenna.

Matrixone

Hey Les, maybe this is a hint that you should step a bit out of your comfort zone and make the antenna from scratch. There might even be someone out there that makes an aftermarket one in brass.

Thanks for the suggestions Paul!

Buying any aftermarket items is out of the question right now but I could modify the antenna to match the antenna on the aircraft I first wanted to model (G9+BR of 7./NJG 1) the radar system is the same but its attached differently to the fuselage.
By the time I actually start building the Bf 110G I will most likely just stick with the kit supplied antenna set up in order to get the model finished by the deadline. ;)

Matrixone

I have not started building any of the kits for this GB yet but that does not mean no progress has been made...finding good markings options for the Bf 109G-10 'Erla' and the Bf 110G-4 has been taking a lot of time and I think I found a couple good ones for the Bf 110G-4, one of them is this NJG 101 aircraft '9W+BO'.
I like this one because it looks well used and no drop tanks were fitted at the time it was photographed, the downside is the VERY tight scribble camouflage which would be difficult to replicate in 1/48 scale. The national markings will need to be put on before the scribble and the scribble would need to be carefully airbrushed in and around the markings...my airbrushing hand is already getting cramps just from looking at this paint scheme. :unsure:

h1ee4472.jpg

h3d97831.jpg

hce20a1a.jpg

The other Bf 110G-4 markings that I am considering are for G9+DC of NJG 1 and it was painted in a Zerstorer style of camouflage.

Matrixone

Ah...the thin scribble may be a negative for you but it's gonna be gravy for us when you nail it! :popcorn

Thanks for the vote of confidence on my painting ability but after trying to spray ultra fine scribbles like that on Bf 110G-4 ''9W+BO'' in 1/48 scale is a bridge too far. :(
Below is some practice painting I did on my Ju 185 paint mule, the Ju 185 is in 1/72 scale but is nearly the same size as a 1/48 scale Bf 110.

h86e9b1a.JPG

h6346736.JPG

If my Bf 110G-4 was in 1/32 scale the scribble would be doable but in 1/48 scale its a no-go. Plus the paints I use are Model Master enamels since I can no longer get Xtracolor paints. Xtracolor is much easier to work with when spraying thin lines.

Matrixone

I somehow missed this post earlier Les. That is quite the line up you have there. Looking forward to it as always. :popcorn :popcorn :popcorn

Thanks guys!

Bob,
Humbrol paints are good, the problem is I don't have any of them right now and they are not easy for me to get. Those Xtracolor enamel paints are really good for spraying small details and fine lines because the pigments seem to be ground up a little finer than the other name brand modeling paints plus I have found there is very little tip dry when using Xtracolor paints and that is quite important when spraying a lot of fine lines like that on ''9W+BO''.

PaulW,
Yes I too am looking forward to getting something done on these trio of models, the Revell Erla Bf 109G-10 is number one on my list to get underway...but I MUST get the Ta 183 and Do 335 trainer off the worktable first. There is so much filth and clutter on my work table right now I need to clean it off and its effecting the quality and speed of my work, when I spend more time looking for small parts than actual model construction its a clear sign to clean off the worktable. :S

Since I won't be finishing the Bf 110G-4 as ''9W+BO'' my backup markings choice is for ''<D9+DC'' of II./NJG 7 and it wore a camouflage scheme similar to Bf 110G-2's and will be a breeze to paint. :)

Matrixone

Back