• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Messerschmitt Me 262 double build.

Thanks all for the comments!

With these Tamiya kits like their Me 262 series are so well engineered they build up pretty fast.

What has taken more time than anything else is searching the web for any new information on the aircraft I am modeling, sometimes it pays off and other times like now its a waste of time.

The tactical markings have been painted on and the next step will be a coat of Future.

h60becc0.JPG

h96430fd.JPG

h6fa32c9.JPG

hf3d6137.JPG

Matrixone

I appreciate your comments!

No pictures this time, I just finished the coat of Future on these two models and they have to dry for at least 24 hours before decaling can begin.
Applying decals is usually something I can't wait to get started on but with ''yellow 3'' not so much, ''yellow 3'' has decals for the entire fin and rudder for the stencil applied mottling...the decals are from EagleCals which have been very good quality in the past but I am concerned if they will fit the tail correctly without having to do any touch-ups with paint if they are undersized.

The wheels for both aircraft were given their final bits of weathering and clear flat coat.
The bombs for the A-2a were painted and some weathering was added to one of them. I will finish one as factory fresh and the other in a slightly different color with some scuffs and scrapes on it. After looking at photographs of a number of bombs used by the Luftwaffe (and other air forces) they could sometimes have signs of rough handling during transport to the bomber units.

Matrixone

Wouldn't you love to be a fly on a German wall somewhere when the call was made to put hard bombs under these machines?

Thanks for looking! :good:

Decals are now on these models and all went well except for the KG(j)54 checkered blue/white tail band...it REFUSED to lay down on the upper half of the models fuselage near the tail and cracked quite badly, I was able to push the parts of the decal back together and after 6 hours of applying setting solution the decal started to soften up and stick to the surface. I will still have to touch up the decal with paint but at least the problem areas that need fixed are small.
On the plus side the mottle decals for the fin and rudder went on really well.
h4106e2f.JPG

he641068.JPG

h3d00ce4.JPG

hab2f753.JPG

Notice the offset fuselage crosses on ''yellow 3'', this is not an error on my part, the full size aircraft had this too. I wonder why this was so. :idonno

h3c13c93.JPG

Matrixone

Thanks!

Before I spray Future over the decals to seal them in I added some paint chipping, this way when I add the rest of the paint chipping later they won't all look like they were done at once. I like to have some variation of the paint chipping for a more natural appearance.
I was able to touch up the damaged decals on the fuselage without any trouble and what I did added to the weathered effect on the rest of the aircraft.

The Me 262A-1a ''yellow 3'' will have a lot of wear and tear to the paint job to better match the photographs of the full size aircraft but I won't try for an exact match because when ''yellow 3'' was photographed it was in an aircraft scrapyard in very bad shape, I want my model to look like it was used but still airworthy.

h158f491.JPG

he72cf3e.JPG

The Me 262A-2a ''white Y'' won't be getting anymore paint chipping done to it, every photograph I have seen of this airplane shows it to be well kept like most other Luftwaffe bombers.

h6098c1f.JPG

h6821ddf.JPG

Matrixone

Thanks guys!

Getting close to the finish line with these two, some weathering with oil paints was done and the landing gear legs and small breakable bits were added.

A couple snaps of the bombs for the Me 262A-2a, just for the fun of it one was left factory fresh looking and the other was given some weathering...after looking at several photographs of bombs used in WWII few were fresh looking and many had scuffs and scrapes on the finish of them so I thought it would be interesting to try and add that feature on one of the bombs.

h5a0f168.JPG

h7580f45.JPG

These models have a glossy surface and the oil paints don't show up well in these pictures but after the flat clear coat is put on the weathering effects should show better.

h17ef13e.JPG

h83ab95b.JPG

h9e689c7.JPG

ha01be0d.JPG

h1af34fa.JPG

Matrixone

Back