• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Messerschmitt Me 262 double build.

matrixone

All three of my current group of models are getting close to being finished and decided on building a Tamiya Me 262A-2a for my next project, instead of just one Me 262 why not build two? This way I can have quicker production and not have reference books of several different aircraft types laying about and only have my Me 262 books out...a lot less clutter. ;)

One model will be a Me 262A-1a the other will be the Me 262A-2a bomber.

h6c0ed54.JPG

I have already cracked open the box on the Me 262A-2a and started some basic assembly of the wings. In this picture the EagleCals Me 262 decal sheet can be seen, I will be putting the Me 262A-1a in the markings of ''yellow 3'' of KG(j)54. The Me 262A-2a will be in the markings of ''white y'' of 1./KG 51, this machine had an attractive scheme of 81/82 scribble on the fuselage sides and engine nacelles, the kit markings will be used on this one.

h78b8849.JPG

Matrixone

Les, would you mind if I build along with you on this thread? I got one of these a while back when you and I were talking about it and I've just done WAY too much armor lately.

We'll make it a buddy build if that's ok? If not I'll start a new thread. :good:

A favourite kit of mine. Still want to build an early one in 74/75/76 this year !!, however I can buy two Hobbyboss kits for the price of one Tamiya one, so...

Ian.

I'm German airplane stupid. I didn't even know their was more than one version of the Me-262. Cool looking jet though.
Did we ever capture one and put US markings on it?

Tim

Bob,
No problem if this turns into a BB.

I figure its going to be another week or two before much is done on the two Me 262's.

Hawkrench,
The Me 262 was built in several versions, fighter, bomber, trainer, nightfighter, recon, and even a two seat bomber version (prototypes only).

Matrixone

Bob,No problem if this turns into a BB.

Matrixone

Ha !! - If I get my lazy a*se in to gear we could turn it in to a mini-campaign... Would that make it a 'skirmish' or a 'melee' :hmmm

Ian.

Now if we do that - I'll be forced to pull out my Tamiya kit and build along as well! Or I could do the 1/32 trumpy kit... :hmmm

Did we just hijack Les's thread? Sorry bud :blush:

however I can buy two Hobbyboss kits for the price of one Tamiya one, so...

Since it is based on Trumpeter's 1/32nd scale kits (designed while looking at Tamiya's engineering with details added), it is considered by some as the best Schwalbe in 48th scale. I don't have either the Tamiya nor Hobby Boss as I still have a few from Dragon (Trimaster molds) and Monogram. Also, a slew of 72nd scale kits frmo Hasegawa, Academy, Revell, and Heller, with far too much AM for them:

GSMe262.JPG

My interest? It really is shaped like a shark! Watching with interest.

Regards,

I don't consider any hijacking of the thread going on here if it will get others to join in and build their Me 262's, its too interesting of an aircraft NOT to build. :eek:ldguy

A color photograph of a Me 262 I found on the net...its poor quality but interesting just the same.

h5e61742.jpg

Matrixone

Well, I might even have one in 1/72 scale to build.....maybe. I have to check the stash.

And yes, I have seen pics of an Me-262 in US markings that were painted on after the war. I might even consider doing that one if I can find those pics again.

We'll see what happens.

I was actually eyeballing one of these at the LHS the other day while I was waiting for my dinner order (couple doors down at the teriyaki joint). For once I resisted the urge and was able to walk away.

Now this.....you guys aren't helping! Hopefully I don't find my way out to that end of town this weekend. :laugh:

I don't consider any hijacking of the thread going on here if it will get others to join in and build their Me 262's, its too interesting of an aircraft NOT to build. :eek:ldguy

A color photograph of a Me 262 I found on the net...its poor quality but interesting just the same.

h5e61742.jpg

Matrixone

Even from that side, still an aggressive looking aircraft.

On a side note, there has been at least 1 replica built that is flying. Single seater that matches the original in every way except for the engines. For those there are 2 dummy shells that match the originals and have small GE powerplants snuggled inside the shells. The GE engines are smaller, lighter, more reliable and more powerful than the originals.
Saw the u-tube video of the single seater flying a couple of years ago. Supposedly there are supposed to be a couple more single seaters and a 2 seater. Don't have any links at the moment. Sorry.

And yes, I have seen pics of an Me-262 in US markings that were painted on after the war. I might even consider doing that one if I can find those pics again.
Well, the Watson's Whizzers decal is included in that shot I posted of the Schwalbes I have in 72nd scale. Here are images of the real deal:
backside-2.JPG

0110-2.JPG

bjLe5ce.jpg

4012-2.JPG

0110c-22.JPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxRR2KgY5mo

Saw the u-tube video of the single seater flying a couple of years ago. Supposedly there are supposed to be a couple more single seaters and a 2 seater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S88FsFE5EE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuSMCq7vgU0

Inside the 2 seater (The Me 262 Project was started with the Texas Airplane Factory and administered by Classic Fighter Industries and used the example at Willow Grove, Pennsylvania, as a template):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWdmNX6kjxg

Regards,

I pulled out my Tamiya 262 today and ordered some aftermarket for her. You have inspired me too Les! If you don't mind, I'll build along with you and Bob. Anyone have thoughts on making this a campaign?

Anybody wanting to build their Me 262 models are welcome to join in here, I would rather this remain a BB than a full blown campaign...no pressure with time stamps or completion dates this way.

Paul,
I have built a Tamiya Me 262 before and its one of their best kits IMHO, they even include nose weights which is very thoughtful. :love

Here is the 1/48 scale Tamiya kit...yes that wild looking paint scheme did exist!
h3137d92.JPG

Not many know that long ago Tamiya made a 1/100 scale Me 262, here is mine that was built a few years ago.

h05f92dd.JPG

hbd8edf4.JPG

Matrixone

Back