• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Meng Jeep with blackdog SAS set

A year and 2 months since I did any modeling, Like I said on the Jap tank thread I can poke at the shop all day long and not make progress. Not till I sit down and start working will I figure out where I want stuff.
1659828381944.png

Unlike the tank on the beach I didn't start with a dark wash. I used Migs Neutral wash and flooded the sand all over. Made effort to get in the tire tracks.
1659828451279.png

Whatever it was I used for the base just sucks up the thinner and paint so it's act fast. not a chance to fan out the edges of the wash so I'm going to have to figure out how to touch up that section around the rear left wheel. Too sharp of an edge, doesn't look natural for a desert setting.

One thing for sure, I gotta get some ventilation in the shed! Back at the old place it was over 800 sq feet and the fumes dissipated quickly (or maybe I was more use to it back then :wow:).The shed is a little under 350 sq f and it got stinky in there. So I'm shopping a paint booth or some sort of exhaust setup. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Anywho, I'm back on track. Speaking of tracks, I got a King Tiger and a bulldozer up next, I'll be damned if I'm going to let tracks put a stop to me moving forward. :soldier

AMMO makes a thin and thick Plasticator that provides a base to prevent the soaking up you're talking about...might want to check that out Bob

Bob the SAS is looking really good! You might take something and knock the sharp edges off of that groove behind the tire and then lightly fill it in. If it is just sand, it probably wouldn't show much in the way of tire tread marks.

==============================

For the venting if you want to keep it cheap I built mine with Masonite, clear acrylic sheet, dryer hose, and 2 brushless instrument fans. Works quite well.

It started out with a filter and two computer fans. Not enough airflow, though it was (sort of ) working. The filter turned black and all but the paint fumes were just not moving out.

First idea had a filter.jpg

The back side with the fans was made out of acrylic as it is easier to build up weird stuff quickly.
Back side acrylic ductwork.jpg

I also made it so the front part could fold up for transport. Here you can see just how thick the back part is.
Paint Booth-04s.jpg

The front part all folded up.
Paint booth folds up.jpg

In use it became quite cluttered up as I used it for lighting as well. I now run the fans with no filter and the dryer hose goes to the window. The original two computer fans have been replaced with two 120V AC brushless instrument fans. One is slow and fairly quiet. The other moves a lot of air and is fairly loud. I have the switch set up where it is center off, position 1 (up) runs only the slow fan and the other has a flap that closes it off from behind. Position 2 (down) runs both fans and pushes a fair amount of air out through the hose.
Paint Booth-In use.jpg

Yeah the fans pick up some of the paint overspray, and the rest gets picked up on the inside of the dryer hose. Note this dryer hose goes back to the 80's. It works perfectly for this application, but wasn't the best for hot air from a dryer. The inside of the hose after a LOT of painting.
Old Duct.jpg

Here is just the slow fan running. This is good to just pull some slight fumes out. It is just a whisper of air flowing out.
Slow fan running.jpg

Here are both fans running and it is quite loud. It also pulls out the fumes such that I don't smell them at all outside the room. If I have had a heavy paint session, I will leave them on and leave the room for a little while.
Both fans running.jpg

This is the part that makes it all work well. This box fits in the window. Open and raise the window up, set the box in place, and close the window down on it. I have painted when it was raining, snowing, cold and hot out. The white square is a flap that easily pushes out of the way when the fans are blowing, but shuts down and keeps the outside air where it belongs.
Window box.jpg

Here the plastic bag shows how the air flows out.
Air flows out.jpg

And here it is in the window.
Window box installed.jpg

It only takes a few seconds to install or remove it from the window. I usually just leave it setting on the window sill. When I am done, it is easy to remove, just lift the window an inch or two, pull it back, and close and latch the window.

Last edited:
AMMO makes a thin and thick Plasticator that provides a base to prevent the soaking up you're talking about...might want to check that out Bob
You're going to have to explain that one to me Mike. :bm:

Would the sand be darker if someone drove over it? I believe you are overthinking your sandy tracks.
I was thinking shadows actually.

Thanks Chris, it's based on some photos I had seen, there's some knock down I might do but the tracks stay.

I might just buy a paint booth, I'm not that industrious to build all that with the plexi and all the other materials.

Last edited:
I guess all over the sand to seal it so paints don’t soak into it.

I don’t know if I would now that it’s already happened, I’d probably just soldier on and complete it but maybe next time?

I guess all over the sand to seal it so paints don’t soak into it.

I don’t know if I would now that it’s already happened, I’d probably just soldier on and complete it but maybe next time?
Ah I should have use the PVA as a seal coat. Gotcha and noted. Yeah I got some corrections to make. Thanks for checking in :vgood:

Thanks Paul, it's based on some photos I had seen, there's some knock down I might do but the tracks stay.

I might just buy a paint booth, I'm not that industrious to build all that with the plexi and all the other materials.
At the time I had the materials, but not the money for a paint booth. Also it is fairly large and can accommodate most 1/32 aircraft.

"Anywho, I'm back on track. Speaking of tracks, I got a King Tiger and a bulldozer up next, I'll be damned if I'm going to let tracks put a stop to me moving forward."

clear acrylic base wood glue works perfectly to seal the base before the ground work or after before you start painting....been using it for 45 years without an issue -cheap too.

Thank you all folks. I'm humbled.

I did a spotty drybrush of white over the top of the sandy/rock and it looks like I want it to look so put it away!
1659958230811.png

I found the figures I was going to pose with it and will get them painted up. I think I titled it earlier in this thread, "Where's Lullubelle". She'll be coming soon. :soldier

Back