• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Jankel Fox

paddy

Once again the SAS here is being accused of "cheating" for killing a suicide bomber in Syria when they might have been able to arrest him ? Apparently he wasnt wearing his vest at the time but so what? these things are often remote control

The SAS tend to do what they want and the powers that be will go through the motions, a few lawyers will make a fortune and the world will keep spinning.
The interesting thing is the SAS officially were never in Syria in fact they are never officially anywhere :) Anyway this picture of them in the press today in the desert in Syria (supposedly) caught my interest as the vehicles looked strange for the British.

_90717375_syria_special_1.jpg

After a search i found this Toyota which is what i think the SAS vehicles are but they look to be RHD and Jorden is LHD so maybe they are British.

SaMOakI.jpg

This is Jankel Fox used by the Jordanian army so maybe the SAS borrowed them but odd they are in olive drab
I just thought it would be a fun project to try and build one to sit along side the Chevrolet 30 cwt of 70 years ago :)

Vickers_armed_LRDG_trucks8.jpg

Reminds me of the Rules of Engagement USAF had to observe in Vietnam, can't fire on a sam site till they fire on you.

Nice find Paddy, it's interesting that those old Chevy did so well in the sand without 4x4. Would love to see those two sitting side by side. :soldier

Out of intrest according to the caption with the Chevy pic those rolled up bundles on the front fenders are canvas sand mats.

Sand mats, also known as sand ladders, were standard "unsticking gear" along with the steel sand channels. They were developed in 1929 and were looked like a rope ladder with bamboo rungs. They were later made by sandwiching rungs of bamboo or rope between two layers of canvas. One side was sometimes painted with red and white stripes to use as air recognition markers. Interestingly, there doesn't appear to be any period pictures of LRDG or SAS Jeeps carrying sand mats or channels.
unstick2.jpg
unstick3.jpg
unstick4.jpg

Cheers,
RichB

I did have a quick look in my library on these matters and even the cover of the first book i picked up shows Chevys with sand mats. There are

also pictures inside with the same

CCF06032024.jpg

Yes, the various trucks they used (Chev, Ford, CMP, etc) carried sand mats and/or channels. It was just the Jeeps that didn't.

Cheers,
RichB

I noticed that when I was looking at those photos when I did my SAS jeep. I think the saying is "You go to war with what you have.".

The guy is Bruce Compton, lives in Suffolk here and has his own TV show about collecting war memorabilia, pretty sure he supplied the Sherman for Fury.

You can watch his shows on all sorts of platforms like this

Last edited:
Back