• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Me 262 Rudolf Hoffmann

White_Wolf

Master at Arms
Greetings all,

Need some help with the following thing :vmad

According to a number of sources, Tony Gaze, an Australian, shot down a Me 262 / Rudolf Hoffmann on the 14th of Feb 1945, near Emmerich on Rhein.

All good, this is confirmed by many sources.

The problem begins with the following things:

- Work Number - 500642 others say 500064 and even 110615.

- Markings - this plane was part of I / KG 51 Edelweiss, some sources say 9K+CL, others say 9K+NL

- Colour scheme - could not find ANY photograph of this plane, the only reference I have is a print on sale signed by Tony Gaze, showing his Spit shooting at the Me.

Any help would be much appreciated :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Laurence

I find more about his racing career than flying. Pretty cool jobs the man had. Laurence don't know what to tell you. With conflicting info it boils down to your best guess.

To my shame, this is the first I've heard of him. To add to that, I actually lived in Geelong for one year and trust me, if there was a museum, a street sign, something, anything at all I would have seen it. Stupid thing not to make known that a WW2 hero, plus all the other achievements lives in your area. Mayors, eh?

I am working it out slowly, got to some compromise / educated guess / reference based thing. Still in the dark about the colours though :vmad :vmad :vmad

Laurence

Dont know if this helps or hinders.

http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/archive/index.php?t-16992.html
http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/archive/index.php?t-260.html
http://www.ahs.no/ref_db/lw_loss_public.asp?lossid=103175

James

Laurence,

Wr.N. 500642 is not on the list of known Wr.N. for the Me 262 so that one might not exist but I did find a Me 262A-2a with the Wr.N. of 500064 that was shot down by a Spitfire MK XIV s/n RM797 of 610 Squadron...the Me 262 was coded with '9K+CL' on the fuselage.

I could not find any photographs of that Me 262 but other Me 262's in that unit had the usual 81/82 upper surfaces with 76 lower surfaces and they had a dense scribble and tight mottling using the upper surface colors on the sides of the fuselage and engine nacelles. The tip of the fin/rudder and nose was painted in white with a narrow black border.

HTH

Matrixone

Thanks guys, appreciate it.

James, I came across those pages myself hence the confusion.

Les, have a look at the last link James posted. It is a norwegian site, listing 500642. Like I said, confusing stuff ...

I might have to change all this planning as it depends on other factors, such as various US units on the western front etc. Will see how it all goes.

Thanks,

Laurence

Laurence,

Wr.N. 500642 is not on the list of known Wr.N. for the Me 262 so that one might not exist but I did find a Me 262A-2a with the Wr.N. of 500064 that was shot down by a Spitfire MK XIV s/n RM797 of 610 Squadron...the Me 262 was coded with '9K+CL' on the fuselage.

I could not find any photographs of that Me 262 but other Me 262's in that unit had the usual 81/82 upper surfaces with 76 lower surfaces and they had a dense scribble and tight mottling using the upper surface colors on the sides of the fuselage and engine nacelles. The tip of the fin/rudder and nose was painted in white with a narrow black border.

HTH

Matrixone

That describes what is shown in the painting Tony Gaze was signing.

Laurence,
After looking at the link provided by James I can't agree with the Norwegian site information, W.Nr.500642 was a W.Nr. assigned to a Fw 190D-9.
Yes there were a quite a few Me 262's with the 500 W.Nr. block assigned to them but keep in mind that the 500 W.Nr. block was split between Me 262 and Fw 190D-9 production...one of those blocks assigned to Focke-Wulf was from 500551 to 500650.

Matrixone

Thanks for taking the time mate, appreciate it. It's not the only site showing that info, while other sites say something else, hence all the confusion I mentioned before. I'll keep looking.

I want to depict the wreck of that bird, so, if there is something I cannot find enough information for, I'll just show a burnt / destroyed section of the plane, there is nothing much I can do about it. I haven't been able to find any pics of that plane and I looked through books and all sorts.

Thanks for the tips on the colours, appreciate it :notworthy

Laurence

- Colour scheme - could not find ANY photograph of this plane, the only reference I have is a print on sale signed by Tony Gaze, showing his Spit shooting at the Me.

Laurence, not your specific aircraft but these may help a bit for what scheme you choose to do, not the first one though.

1/KG51 aircraft schemes

1_KG51%20262_1.jpg~original

1_KG51%20262_2.jpg~original

1_KG51%20262_3.jpg~original

1_KG51%20Edelweiss_A.jpg~original

1_KG51%20Edelweiss_B.jpg~original

Back