• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

'Mach' Schnell.

ausf

Master at Arms
I'm in with the old Tamiya 1/72 Bell X-1.

I'm going with Chuck's mach busting ride and staying true to the feat, I'm going to build this within 24 hours.

I've already built the 'pit and put it together, it's drying comfortably with some putty. I didn't stop to photo the pit because it can be seen from the gaping maw, so I'll get them in the morning. The hatch fit horribly so it needed some putty, but otherwise it;'s pretty tight after cleaning up. Tamiya extra thin makes short work of gluing, I should be applying orange in the AM.

One drawback, I lost the canopy. I applied the putty, then moved to grab the canopy to clean up after gluing a piece to it and there was just an empty space where it previously sat. Did a quick tear apart but no joy. If I can't find it in the AM, there's an extra with different framing that I can make work.

Here's the startup pic, including the 'spice Tiger'.

h420df86.jpg

Making progress...

hbfa31de.jpg

h7edeec6.jpg

I added wires to the back of the gauges.

h4504c7a.jpg

Mixed up my own orange using flat yellow, dark red and some trans orange.

h1ae407e.jpg

I'll give it a few hours then get some Future on it. I found the canopy, but I think I'll go with the second, using decals as the framework.

Thanks Adam.

Future and canopy is on, framework cut out of old decal strips.

h6e4d069.jpg

I'll let this dry then add some decals, wash and a top clear and call it done.

It's a nice little kit, fits well for it's age. I still have the engine, fuel tanks and clear fuse for a future build.

I'm calling it. One hour under the wire.

Far from my best, but I set out to build it like I was 11 again and I did. Fingerprints and all. :D

Still wrapping my head around AC. Usually it's seams and wings that give me trouble, this time they went together beautifully, but the finish was my downfall. In all my years of spraying Future, I never had it bomb out. The AB spit out a blast of Future in the middle of a run, similar to an overwhelmed moisture trap, when you get that blast, only it wasn't water, it was pebbly Future. I wasn't going for a strip down on this one, so I leveled it off as best I could.

hf4527bb.jpg

h2d5ea72.jpg

h573201d.jpg

Back