• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Monogram P-61A-11

jeaton01

I finished this one yesterday. I've read a lot of harsh words about the kit but my experience was not so bad. I did reprofile the top of the fuselage from the turret forward as it should have a increasing radius of curvature from square at the turret to rounded at the gunner's canopy. All the glass fit fine. The kit is a challenge to get aligned because there are so many intersections. I glued the wings to the central pod first, judging by eye to get 2 degrees dihedral in the outer wing panels with the pod vertical. Then I attached the booms to the tailplane, making sure the fins were 90 degrees to the stab. Next I attached that assembly to the wings. One side needed some grinding on the bottom of the wing, the other fit pretty well. A misfit of the booms to the wing is I think the easiest to correct, as you end up with 90 degree intersections that are easy to fill. I used a little Tamiya filler and Perfect Plastic Putty and didn't need to do any sanding. If I build another I will build a jig to attach the pod to the boom as doing it by eye resulted in a very small error but that was enough to make the right wing tip about 3/32 higher than the left.

The serial numbers and wing walks were painted using stencils, and the nose art/pilot name were decals made in John's Secret Workshop somewhere in Northern California. Other markings are 45 year old kit decals. I used the first photo for my example to model.

0311p61.jpg

0321p61.jpg

0331p61.jpg

0341p61.jpg

0351p61.jpg

0361p61.jpg

0371p61.jpg

0381p61.jpg

0391p61.jpg

0401p61.jpg

0411p61.jpg

0421p61.jpg

0431p61.jpg

0441p61.jpg

Quite nice as always John!
3D-Great Job.gif

Yeah, you can't beat using a good solid jig when building a complex assembly. That's why I have my aluminum mess that has a huge amount of flexibility when setting things up. I have used it a number of times to hold an assembly together and get everything perfectly aligned. Then I added the solvent glues or CA to the points that needed to be joined. I used it tonight to assemble the 3 bladed prop for the Stuka I am building. I learned with a previous build that the prop blades if they are separate will have to use a jig to get them aligned, angled and the pitch close. It took a bit to get it all lined up but then added solvent and walked away to let it set up.

Very nice John, i never really managed to get a good finish with Black but yours looks spot on. Frame work for the glass looks good as well. 👍

Back