• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

M4A1 SHERMAN "WIND HER UP AND LET'S ROLL"

M4A1 SHERMAN"DEVIL'S IN THE DETAILS"

i love it!

as soon as I can get out of what I'm currently doing (non-hobby related) I'm gonna get me a few shermans. LOL

i love it!

as soon as I can get out of what I'm currently doing (non-hobby related) I'm gonna get me a few shermans. LOL

(y) A man can't have enough Shermans!

:laugh:

I have done two things tonight. The tow cable and a board. A board you ask. Most Sherman crews mounted a board between the fender braces on the transmission cover to stow items like spare road wheels and the like. To replicate this feature I used a piece of strip styrene. I drilled holes in each end to simulate nail/bolt holes in the board. I also make a notch in the board to allow it to fit around the tow cable bracket. I painted the board desert yellow then with red brown I made the wood grain.

DSC00488.JPG

I then gave the board a wash of raw umber.

DSC00490.JPG

DSC00491.JPG

I made the tow cable out of the string provided with the kit. It was painted with Model Master Gun Metal and then a pigment wash rust. The tow ends are painted flat aluminum.

DSC00494.JPG

DSC00506.JPG

I did a little more pigment work to the running gear as well.

DSC00504.JPG

DSC00503.JPG

DSC00494.JPG

DSC00507.JPG

Questions and comments welcome

Terry

Overall, I'd say this is one of the best you've ever done. Very rusty cables would be a big no-no, as they most likely would have had a coating of grease or lube. Cables that are rusty would bind rather than stretch as designed, causing failure. I'm not an expert on the subject, but have been around enough machines with cables to know what can happen. Maybe add a dark wash over what you have? (y)

Overall, I'd say this is one of the best you've ever done. Very rusty cables would be a big no-no, as they most likely would have had a coating of grease or lube. Cables that are rusty would bind rather than stretch as designed, causing failure. I'm not an expert on the subject, but have been around enough machines with cables to know what can happen. Maybe add a dark wash over what you have? (y)

Thanks Mike I got sleepy.

Terry B)

Here's some Sherman tank fun.

http://youtu.be/ezfvb3xRfNI

http://youtu.be/-IatwoA00E0

Have a great weekend.

Terry :dude

Shalom.

You don't EVER want to be NEAR a cable like that if it does snap. It can whip around with such force that it can cut a grown man completely in half. You don't want to know how
I know that.

I love the tonal variations on this model, Terry.

Cheers from Peter

Shalom.

Just a little thought on Oddball and his stated beliefs. In the film when he's showing Kelly the Shermans, Oddball tells Kelly that the length of pipe is to add to the gun to make it look like a 90mm gun. Ah, Oddball, that's NOT a good idea! The Germans targeted the Firefly tanks first before engaging the lesser gunned Shermans. The Firefly was very easy to identify BECAUSE OF THE LONGER GUN TUBE. Thus instead of protecting Oddball, his faux 90mm gun would have DRAWN enemy fire.

I loved Oddball's character and my cousin was a twin for Donald Sutherland in that film. He was the spittin' image of him.

Cheers from Peter

Thanks Peter!

The movie clips were for fun. There are many things not right with those Shermans and the tactics.

:huh:

Ok this Sherman is wrapping up one the last things to be added to the basic tank is the "MaDuce". I spruced up the kit 50 cal. with some wire and parts from the Mk1 Designs PE set.

DSC00512.JPG

DSC00513.JPG

DSC00514.JPG

Here's what she looks like after painting.

DSC00515.JPG

DSC00516.JPG

DSC00517.JPG

DSC00518.JPG

The basic tank is pretty much complete. Here are some images before I begin to add the stowage and the commander figure.

DSC00519.JPG

DSC00520.JPG

DSC00521.JPG

DSC00522.JPG

Next up the stowage. Comments and questions are always welcome!

Terry

Wonderful attention to detail, Terry.

Is there any chance you could put together a wee tutorial or step-by-step on the .50cal. Speaking purely selfishly, that's one of the areas that lets my AFV modelling down, When I add a machine gun it always looks 'awkward' need some help getting better detail and sit.

Thanks

Ian

Back