• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

M4A1 SHERMAN "WIND HER UP AND LET'S ROLL"

M4A1 SHERMAN"LET THERE BE SHERMAN"

I got out some styrene hex rod and added a few bolts. The upper hull gets its first coats of paint starting with black green and then two shades of OD.

Terry B)

DSC00425.JPG

DSC00426.JPG

DSC00427.JPG

Looks very faded Terry, cool :popcorn

What I couldn't do is the turret separate from the tank. I would end up with two different shades of colors because I can't remember exactly what I do from one to another.

Looks very faded Terry, cool :popcorn

What I couldn't do is the turret separate from the tank. I would end up with two different shades of colors because I can't remember exactly what I do from one to another.

Hahahaha well just hang on things will turn out in the end. I think???

Terry :unsure:

Ok first some supplies arrived today.

DSC00430.JPG

Next the painting goes on. Pup you were worried about the hull and the turret matching. Well I think it does, but you be the judge. Here is the progress tonight. Comments are welcome.

Terry

DSC00433.JPG

DSC00434.JPG

DSC00435.JPG

DSC00436.JPG

DSC00437.JPG

DSC00438.JPG

DSC00441.JPG

DSC00442.JPG

DSC00443.JPG

DSC00444.JPG

Oh I knew you'd match it fine (y)

That's going to be one loaded down Sherman :soldier

vroom! I can hear the clanking down the cobble stone roads now...

Looking good Terry. The one fuel stain on the left side looks a bit vivid?? will you be toning it down some?
James

Looks great in my eyes,Terry! (y)

Going for the 'gypsy wagon' look?

Greetings,ron.

The green work is about done.

Terry

DSC00445.JPG

DSC00446.JPG

dang it! now I want to try doing this. I guess it is time to check out the local hobby shop.... :geek

Ok this will be a good size update. First off I started to get the tracks ready to be assembled. I used the kit tracks that have pretty good detail. I primed the tracks with Tamiya Nato Black and then applied a coat of Model Master airbrush Gun Metal.

DSC00448.JPG

DSC00449.JPG

Later I added a pigment wash of red brown.

In another thread I mentioned that I made my own pigments. Well a better description would be I make my own pigment washes and slurries. The pigment part comes from pastel chalk sticks I get from the art store. I grind the chalk sticks to a powder in a coffee mill and put into a plastic container.

DSC00450.JPG

Each stick makes quite a lot of powder and you can get just about any color, earth tones, black to white, and regular colors.

Now for the Sherman I going to begin to add dirt in various colors to simulate it different stages of drying process.

Making a pigment wash is really simple. Take the pigment powder and mix it with mineral spirits. In this case I am using a dark yellow.

DSC00451.JPG

Then I apply this mixture to the bottom of the hull. When the mineral spirits dry the pigment is left behind in the cracks and corners. I will show how I blend and remove the excess later on.

DSC00452.JPG

Next I want to add some areas of thicker damper mud. For this I used the same dark yellow and added raw umber oil paint to get the color I wanted.

DSC00453.JPG

To be sure and get that brown earthy look I added some brown pigment.

DSC00456.JPG

Nothing simulates dirt like real dirt. So I added some real dirt to the mixture to give it lumpy look.

DSC00458.JPG

I then applied this to different areas of the bottom hull.

DSC00460.JPG

To blend the darker area into the other dark yellow already applied add a pigment wash of dark yellow and brown.

DSC00461.JPG

By this time I was getting some build-up of pigments on the surface of the hull. To reduce this just take a dry brush and simply remove some of the powder before you seal it.

DSC00462.JPG

Here is a view of the finished bottom hull.

DSC00467.JPG

I used the same process on the hull sides and running gear.

DSC00463.JPG

Here is what the Sherman looks like right now. If you notice I used some of that dark yellow wash on the lower edge of the upper hull to simulate road grime. I will be adding more dust on the upper surfaces later on. I hope this may be helpful to you guys. Questions and comments are always welcome.

DSC00464.JPG

DSC00465.JPG

DSC00466.JPG

DSC00469.JPG

DSC00470.JPG

Back