• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Logistics, The armor Updated May12, 2021.

Logistics, The armor Updated May 24th, 2017.

Thanks Michael,

Beyond the five you can see on the desk, there are three more that have been base coated, waiting in the wings!

Bob

Logistics, The armor Updated May 28th, 2017.

I'm now focused on "Popeye", one of the M4A3E8s that will be in the column. The Popeye cartoon character was created by Elzie Segar in 1929 and reached the height of it's popularity in the 1930s and 1940s, and remains a franchise to this day.

After the raw umber wash dried, I painted the Popeye cartoon figure on the side of the hull. I had printed out a Popeye cartoon from the Internet to use as reference. Then I did some subtle dry brushing, then some very subtle metalizing, (To make it take on the appearance of being made of metal as opposed to plastic). Even when freshly painted, I have noticed that armor still retains a slight metal appearance. I use Humbrol Ploished steel and a wide filbert brush. I dry brush it over the Olive Drab randomly, (Especially on curved and compound curved areas), to where it can barely be seen. Then buff it after drying and it gives it a very subtle"metallic" sheen! Then I did some paint chipping at random places where foot traffic would normally occur. I use Humbrol Polished Steel and then buff it after drying.

0_zpsjc8lpfzf.jpg

Then some shots with the dry brushing, metalizing and chipping. I also began the mud splashing on the lower hull. I use Matt 29 Humbrol and jab it on. I do it very subtly and then build it up in layers. You'll see that begin to emerge in the next update.

00_zpslf3ob2ky.jpg

000_zpsuc3bkax9.jpg

0000_zpseizoo4dx.jpg

00000_zpsdglty948.jpg

In this shot, you can better see the "metalizing" effect. It must be done with extreme subtlety or it will not look right!

000000_zpsxzt1p820.jpg

Till next time,

Bob

Logistics, The armor Updated May 28th, 2017.

You hand painted Popeye? :notworthy

Stunning! :popcorn

I never like to use the names or cartoons that have been published with decals or dry transfers. The reason? Because everybody and his brother will have those same names on their models. Just one of my quirks! If you remember, the ARV had "Mighty Mouse" on the turret side that I painted. I will also paint a "Daffy Duck" cartoon on one of the Shermans as well as one with an ace of spades and the words, "Aces High".

Here's another point. If you build a tank and put it on a base or in a diorama, you can use a decal as it will be a stand alone and no big deal. However, if you are going to have eight Shermans in a column on a diorama, decals simply won't work as you could never find 3 or 4 names or cartoons in decal form that would have been in the same armored column.

FClose~0.jpg

Dad

Logistics, The armor Updated June 23rd, 2017.

Wow Bob! I like this a LOT! Will have to make a note for you to point out these next time I come and visit.

My only comment is that wouldn't the hand painted "toons" get a little weathered along with the tank? They do seem to pop a bit. Like too new and clean. But that could be just the brighter colors being picked up by the camera better.

Awesome bit Bob!

I_LIKE_IT.jpg

Wow Bob! I like this a LOT! Will have to make a note for you to point out these next time I come and visit.

My only comment is that wouldn't the hand painted "toons" get a little weathered along with the tank? They do seem to pop a bit. Like too new and clean. But that could be just the brighter colors being picked up by the camera better.

Awesome bit Bob!

I_LIKE_IT.jpg

Thanks Paul,

You're right! They would be weathered and aged as were the tanks themselves. The "Mighty Mouse" I didn't weather as much as ones on the hull, as high on the "turret" and being on the side, it would have been less so than the hull and/or top of the turret. I also made the Popeye weathered a bit, but, being in color against the olive drab surface, the camera does make them pop out a bit. If you look at combat footage, the "art" does seem to pop in those photos! After saying that, whatever is left, I'll call artist's license! :yipee

You know you're welcome any time Paul, just let me know!

Bob

B) :eek:hmy:
Hand Painted Popeye! great job Bob it looks like a decal. :notworthy

Thanks also for the extra info on the Sherman upgrades etc - very informative and interesting new info for me. (y) . Love all the Sherman work, they are going to be beautiful all together in the scene.

Ian.

Perhaps 10 years from now, if I keep modeling, I will be at a level half of where you at Bob, you do things in a way that is different to everything I have ever seen or heard.

Magnificent :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Laurence

Great job Bob... love it! :good:

Luiz.

Thanks Luiz!

B) :eek:hmy:
Hand Painted Popeye! great job Bob it looks like a decal. :notworthy

Thanks also for the extra info on the Sherman upgrades etc - very informative and interesting new info for me. (y) . Love all the Sherman work, they are going to be beautiful all together in the scene.

Ian.

Thanks Ian,

Strange, I've been painting miniature nose art and cartoons on models for the last 50 years and nobody has ever said anything before! Makes me wonder if all along people thought they were decals? I guess if they did it was kind of a compliment?

Unreal!

Bob

Awesome stuff fellow (y)

Tony lee :eek:ldguy

Thank you Sir!

I appreciate that!

Bob

Perhaps 10 years from now, if I keep modeling, I will be at a level half of where you at Bob, you do things in a way that is different to everything I have ever seen or heard.

Magnificent :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Laurence

I keep telling you Laurence,

Experience, experience and some more experience! There's not a thing wrong with your talent and work ethic! You haven't been modeling very long at all. When I had your experience, I wouldn't have wanted to compete with you at the same level! That's for certain!

Hang in there my friend!

Bob

I haven't been able to respond before now, but this is some sensational work. Your hand painting skills are such that Popeye and the others do look like decals of hand painted cartoons. That is truly a compliment and a testament to your skills. I don't think I'd ever be able to do such a thing myself, mostly because of the size of my models compared to yours. One day though; possibly far in the future, I'd love to do some 1/72 scale versions of many of your larger dioramas. Sadly though; given my current circumstances; it remains just a glorious pipe dream.

Kudos to you on your outstanding, sensational work Bob. Someday I hope to see it all in person.

I haven't been able to respond before now, but this is some sensational work. Your hand painting skills are such that Popeye and the others do look like decals of hand painted cartoons. That is truly a compliment and a testament to your skills. I don't think I'd ever be able to do such a thing myself, mostly because of the size of my models compared to yours. One day though; possibly far in the future, I'd love to do some 1/72 scale versions of many of your larger dioramas. Sadly though; given my current circumstances; it remains just a glorious pipe dream.

Kudos to you on your outstanding, sensational work Bob. Someday I hope to see it all in person.

Why thank you Duke!

We all began with pipe dreams, they are the first step up. I hope I'm around to watch you achieve your goals! If you ever get out near Missouri, just let me know and you would certainly be welcome!

Bob

Oh mate there`s some fantastic stuff going on there, loving every update !!

Wheres the spinach ?

:drinks :drinks :drinks :drinks :drinks

A quick update.

I painted on the Aces High ace card and lettering. I've base coated all the wood on the three tanks of this session with my standard flesh color in preparation for the wood treatment. I've started preparing the stowage that will go on all three.

This one, the third of the three, won't have a name or a cartoon, because many Shermans simply didn't have one. I plan on adding hexagonal PE screening on the hull sides and the Turret sides of this one to hold the PE tree limbs and leaves used for camouflage

IMG_3664_zpsooqjklru.jpg

IMG_3665_zpsifborrdh.jpg

Then, the Aces High Sherman.

IMG_3663_zpsutyavwar.jpg

IMG_3662_zps4o1nljs4.jpg

This photo is a bit blurry.

IMG_3661_zpsjqxwnzhk.jpg

Popeye again, with the flesh painted wooden parts. Of the eight Shermans in this dio, 3 will have the rubber band tracks and 5 will have the individual track links either from the manufacturer or an aftermarket brand. I have given these a coat of Burnt Sienna artists oils, more on them later.

IMG_3660_zpstmzpo4y6.jpg

Ditto.

IMG_3659_zpsm7wrs92j.jpg

You can see all the stowage being prepared, there is more in the boxes. It takes a lot of stowage to load up eight Shermans.

IMG_3659_zpsm7wrs92j.jpg

Now I will switch to "Logistics, the Figures" to finish up the 3 crewmen and 6 tank riders that will be mounted on "Popeye". I have to finish them and dry mount them so I can determine where all the stowage will go.

Till next time,

Back