• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Logistics, The armor Updated May12, 2021.

Logistics, The armor Updated April 30, 2017.

Keep'm rollin Bob!

https://youtu.be/8j6SKiT4ZEo

(y)

Got to admit, its a special feeling watching one of Bob's super Dio's come together.
As a matter of interest Bob, how different do you think your early stuff would have been had you had these types of forums back then?
Pete

That's alotta OD green!
(y)

Yep Mike,

Since I began this thing, I've probably used up a couple dozen tins of Humbrol Olive Drab. I shoulda taken a sample to a paint company and had a gallon m iced up! It woulda been a lot cheaper!

:yipee

Bob

Freakin' assembly line. Who's kit is that with the separate roadwheels?

Hey MP,

I'm writing this from the motel in Kennesaw. Went to HobbyTown, today, spent a small fortune!

I never attach the road wheels until after I weather the hull. None of them have the road wheels attached as yet!

Dad

Have fun on your holiday, can't wait to see more work after you come back :D :D :D

Laurence

Thanks Laurence,

I'm trying! Spent half the day in this humongous hobby shop in Atlanta, Georgia! Spent waaaaay too much!

Bob

Got to admit, its a special feeling watching one of Bob's super Dio's come together.
As a matter of interest Bob, how different do you think your early stuff would have been had you had these types of forums back then?
Pete

Thanks Pete!

That's a tough question. To tell the truth, back in the 70s, there weren't that many guys who. Knew a lot! We were kinda flying by the seat of our pants! The three guys I knew well and talked modeling with were Verlinden, Lewis Pruneau and Shep Paine. WE'd call each other and tell what the problem was and sometimes one would have an answer, sometimes not!

Bob

Hey MP,

I'm writing this from the motel in Kennesaw. Went to HobbyTown, today, spent a small fortune!

So sorry I couldn't make it over there today, would have loved to seen you all, especially working the hobbyshop! :yipee

I never attach the road wheels until after I weather the hull. None of them have the road wheels attached as yet!

Dad

I mean the kit that has the the two part road wheels, looks like the rubber tire is a separate part.

Hey MP,

So sorry I couldn't make it over there today, would have loved to seen you all, especially working the hobbyshop! :yipee

Dad

I mean the kit that has the the two part road wheels, looks like the rubber tire is a separate part.

OH, I see what you mean now! The Dragon M4A3E8, "Thunderbolt Seven", has separate wheels and rubber "tires". I used Three of them as they also come with the additional armor and armaments used by Combat Command "B", commanded by Creighton Abrams. On the other tanks I had to scratch the additional armor and armament. If I was at home, I could give you the kit number.

Dad

Well, we had an awesome time, really enjoyed it, didn't want to come home! But.... All good things must come to an end. We're back home and I've been back at the bench a few days!

I first wanted to get the insignia on all the six Shermans left to complete, so, I did that.

0g_zpsfsghmtiq.jpg

My intention is to first finish the two M4A3E8s and the M4A1 76mm, on the left. The other three will dry harder during the time it takes me to weather, detail and final assembly on the first three.

The markings on all are complete, and the M4A3E8 I chose to be Creighton Abrams "Thunderbolt Seven, I used the decal from the kit. I normally don't use wet decals on Military miniatures. When I do, I never use the "gloss it" system. I use Micro Sol and Micro Set decal solvents to apply them, then, push the excess water out with a clean T-Shirt, after drying overnight, I shoot it with flat clear and have never had a problem with lifting, yellowing, nothing! I admit I have never used the gloss then apply decal then clear flat system. It has always seemed like a lot of steps for nothing to me, and I have tanks and vehicles I decaled back in the 70s.

00_zps3fjpp8yh.jpg

000_zpssexrsc3l.jpg

The other Shermans

0000_zpsddhim73z.jpg

00000_zps8w7u29mu.jpg

Then I painted all the road wheels on those first three with Vallejo "Dark Rubber" by hand. One of the Easy Eights had the separate wheels and rubber tires, (Dragon), so that saved some time.One of the other three are the same. I wish all kits came that way!

Here's the M4A1 76mm.

g_zpsn3tk3vyx.jpg

The M4A3E8 with separate wheels/Tires.

gg_zpsas1uohy4.jpg

And another M4A3E8 that didn't and required hand painting the rubber.

ggg_zpsni9yst1h.jpg

Then I assembled to suspension systems on all three, two being HVSS and the M4A1 being VVSS.

0gg_zps3fb3iphi.jpg

0ggg_zpsvbo7y3je.jpg

Then I started painting the underside of the hatches and the periscopes.

0gggg_zpsxnarrnbn.jpg

Overall.

0g_zpsfsghmtiq.jpg

Ditto

ggggg_zps2gqigvhj.jpg

Several of these will have names and cartoons to go with them. I'll wait till after the weathering to paint those.

Till next time!

Bob

Logistics, The armor Updated May 24th, 2017.

B) :popcorn Great work Bob.
One of the things that I really love about models is the ability to show so many variants of a type of vehicle, side-by -side. Its going to be a real point of interest for your dio (once people have taken in the whole scene) when people look into the details of the scene and see all of these Sherman variants. Love it!
:good:
Ian.

Logistics, The armor Updated May 24th, 2017.

B) :popcorn Great work Bob.
One of the things that I really love about models is the ability to show so many variants of a type of vehicle, side-by -side. Its going to be a real point of interest for your dio (once people have taken in the whole seen) when people look into the details of the scene and see all of these Sherman variants. Love it!
:good:
Ian.

Thanks Ian, I hear you! What I like about this group of Shermans is that they were varied marks, some old, some newer and everything in between, but, they were all upgraded by the February 1945 directive that makes them kinda resemble each other yet, each still has it's individual character and personalities!

Bob

Back