• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Logistics, The armor Updated May12, 2021.

Logistics, The armor Updated June 23rd, 2017.

And we all get so caught up in the aftermarket tracks you just dealin with what's in the kit. (y)

Looks great! :solder

And we all get so caught up in the aftermarket tracks you just dealin with what's in the kit. (y)

Looks great! :solder

Thanks MP!

Well, I used them most of my life! I remember when the first individual track links came out. A British company out of Bath, England, named Tiresmoke, released individual Sherman track links about 35 to 40 years ago. All white metal castings, they were hell to assemble. They had to be drilled out, then assembled with brass wire and supergluing was so delicate as they wouldn't work if you got glue on any part you shouldn't.

I have always loved painting models, but many aspects of building, at least to me, are boring and tedious. Iron Mike said he sits in front of the TV and assembles the links. I have never been able to do things like that. I wish i could, but I can't. Having a war movie in the background is my limit to any distractions. When I was growing up, my Grandmother always said I had a one track mind. I focus so intensely on what I am doing, I can't deal with any interference. I have never been able to multi-task!

If they are done properly, (At least most of them), rubber band tracks can look nearly as good as individual links if not as good. I found an old photo, and here is a Sherman I built in 1983, 34 years ago, with individual links, (For obvious reason). Then another I built here on MA about five years ago or so. Different style links, the last one with rubber band tracks, and I don't think one is so much better it really jumps out at you. If the tracks will be a focal point or you are making a stand alone model, I'd go with the individual links. Today, in many cases, you have no choice as the individual links come with the kit!

Individual links.

_Brit__Sherman_w_ind__links.JPG

Rubber Band tracks.

Ffront02_zps0oa63yxv.jpg

Lovely work Bob,

The Tamiya Sherman rubber band tracks come up pretty well with a good paint job . :good:
The best part is hiding the join mark under a bogie wheel, perfect.

Michael

Lovely work Bob,

The Tamiya Sherman rubber band tracks come up pretty well with a good paint job . :good:
The best part is hiding the join mark under a bogie wheel, perfect.

Michael

Thanks Michael,

I use a melting process to bond the track ends and it leaves little or no evidence of a join mark.

BTW, This next tank, called Popeye, I have tried to get a different "Look" with the crew and tank riders. You can't tell by the positioning and posing of the figures, but I think you can when you see it finished and they are in place. The last one I did was this Jumbo, and I have never been happy with the way they looked. They look so static, no animation whatsoever. I've had a couple of years to give that some thought and I just got the figures all on my latest M4A3E8. In my opinion, they look far better than the ones on this Jumbo.

The tank riders on the Jumbo look like model figures, not very realistic, especially the guy peering around the turret. The painting is passable but the posing has bothered me from the beginning! I am happy with the tank crew, it is the tank riders that don't light my fire! As you can see in these photos.

lftfrnt01.jpg

lftrear01.jpg

So, while posing and choosing the tank riders for the new Popeye, I took a different approach. The finished tank should be ready to post either tonight or tomorrow. I really like the way they appear more animated. I think they look far more realistic than the two photos above. I'm wondering if you guys will feel the same! Maybe I'm suffering for figure painting fatigue! :yipee

Bob

Logistics, The armor Updated June 30th, 2017.

I don't think there's anything really wrong with those, that's just my uninformed opinion of course. In fact; in some ways they look a bit more relaxed as if they know the worst is behind them somehow, like they just came off the line. The one guy could be peering around the turret to see what's causing the holdup ahead too. Of course, I haven't seen any comparison shots of your newest tank yet so feel free to disregard this comment.

I don't think there's anything really wrong with those, that's just my uninformed opinion of course. In fact; in some ways they look a bit more relaxed as if they know the worst is behind them somehow, like they just came off the line. The one guy could be peering around the turret to see what's causing the holdup ahead too. Of course, I haven't seen any comparison shots of your newest tank yet so feel free to disregard this comment.

I don't disregard comments Duke, That's how i learn! Sometimes I can't make up my mind about something, so I post it and see what others think. If most agree with me, that tells me I was right. If most don't, then maybe I've been wrong all along! I'll be finishing up the Popeye tank today and hopefully will post it later today. If not, then tomorrow. Just check it out and let me know what you think!

Thanks for the input!

Bob

That one guy is the only one that looks stiff, maybe if his head was tilted just a bit more level...

Looking forward to seeing this. :popcorn

That one guy is the only one that looks stiff, maybe if his head was tilted just a bit more level...

Looking forward to seeing this. :popcorn

I'm not sure. I changed it several times while i was building it. It looked even worse the first time I glued him on. I'd do what you said about tilting his head, but, being painted, it would be a pain in the butt to redo his face and neck. I will have eight altogether so, maybe I just won't use it, we'll see.

I am anxious for you to see the new one. I get so close to these things, it flaws my ability to be objective. I just really like the latest one. No later than tomorrow on posting it!

Dad

The Figures look pretty good Bob :good:

I hope you don't mind but I may copy it a few years down the track :v :D

The layout works for me. The tank riders go that little extra and the guy peering around the corner of the tank is what I like.

Imitation is the best form of flattery :laugh:

Michael :)

The Figures look pretty good Bob :good:

I hope you don't mind but I may copy it a few years down the track :v :D

The layout works for me. The tank riders go that little extra and the guy peering around the corner of the tank is what I like.

Imitation is the best form of flattery :laugh:

Michael :)

Thanks Mike!

Tell you what, you can copy mine if I can copy yours! Deal? :D

I like the idea of the guy peering around the turret, I just didn't do it well. I've decided to remove him, make another one only more realistic, plus add a couple more. In photographs of WW II they really loaded those Shermans up!

Bob

Speaking of loading Shermans up, here is number three in the column of eight Shermans. Now this is what I was after in terms of realism, especially animation. Obviously, the diorama is static, meaning nothing on it will be moving. However, when it is finished, I want it to have the appearance of movement. The M-32 B1 has only the crew and not room for riders, so, it won't add much to the appearance of movement. The Jumbo will after I redo the figures on that. But this is what I wanted to capture. With the other tanks loaded up like this one, they will convey both animation and drama. Drama is what I am wanting to create on Logistics. Not just with the tank column, but throughout.

I took a bunch of photos, I really loaded "Popeye" with detail and soldiers. I'm never completely satisfied with any model I build, but this has the look I have been after! Hope you guys like it!

Here's Popeye!

0.JPG

00.JPG

000.JPG

You may notice the tow cable. I painted it 2 minutes before I took the photos. By tomorrow, it will flatten out and turn darker. The rust streaks on the Glacis plate were just added as well. They, too, will fade and blend in overnight.

0000.JPG

00000.JPG

I really used some heavy duty lighting in these photos. Otherwise there was so much detail, much would have been lost.

000000.JPG

gg.JPG

ggg.JPG

gggg.JPG

ggggg.JPG

gggggg.JPG

g0.JPG

g00.JPG

g0000.JPG

Then some overhead shots.

g0g.JPG

g0g0~1.JPG

0ggg.JPG

Then in a column with three of the eight Sherman that will be in the diorama.

0gg~0.JPG

0g.JPG

To be continued

That looks fantastic! I know your focus is on the riders, I think you nailed it, just like a snapshot. Watch the tracks though, I'm sure you see it but the joint on the right hand side track looks like it popped loose.

That looks fantastic! I know your focus is on the riders, I think you nailed it, just like a snapshot. Watch the tracks though, I'm sure you see it but the joint on the right hand side track looks like it popped loose.

Thanks MP,

That happened while I was photographing it. The lights were so hot I guess it popped back out. No problem, easy to fix!

The lights are so bright, and the area where I photograph is so small, I have to watch it. If my arm touches one of the metal shades, it burns the hell out of it! :D

Dad

Excellent work Bob.

There is nothing like seeing a group of shermans with tank riders.

Very rare to see in plastic modelling.

I like how you have the unit and rank insignia's on the figures.Another thing that modellers overlook when doing diorama's.

Well done.

Michael :good: :drinks

Logistics, The armor Updated August 11th, 2017.

Oh man that is just totaly awesome :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Excellent work Bob.

There is nothing like seeing a group of shermans with tank riders.

Very rare to see in plastic modelling.

I like how you have the unit and rank insignia's on the figures.Another thing that modellers overlook when doing diorama's.

Well done.

Michael :good: :drinks

Thanks Michael,

Back in 1984, I built the first version of Legacies and it had three Shermans in a column. I really liked the way that looked and when I got the idea for this one, I wanted to do the same but with more impact!

That's the easiest part! Dry transfers are wonderful, aren't they?

Bob

Oh man that is just totaly awesome :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Glad you liked it Dave. I'm hoping to improve on these as I go along! Just once, only once, I'd like to build and paint a perfect model. I know it will never happen but I keep on trying!

Bob

Just once, only once, I'd like to build and paint a perfect model. I know it will never happen but I keep on trying!
Bob

Right ....ok, here's a question for you Bob, read this bit:

1. Strive for perfection in everything you do.

2. Take everything there is and make it better

3. If it doesn't exist, create it.

Honestly, tell me please, which one of these three have you not ticked yet?

I quoted Sir Henry Royce, the latter half of the name of those crazy car makers in the UK - owned by Germans now, true, but that changes nothing - you know them, they have a naked woman on the hood, cost a fortune and come with 40 years warranty.

:drinks

Laurence

Just once, only once, I'd like to build and paint a perfect model. I know it will never happen but I keep on trying!
Bob

Right ....ok, here's a question for you Bob, read this bit:

1. Strive for perfection in everything you do.

2. Take everything there is and make it better

3. If it doesn't exist, create it.

Honestly, tell me please, which one of these three have you not ticked yet?

I quoted Sir Henry Royce, the latter half of the name of those crazy car makers in the UK - owned by Germans now, true, but that changes nothing - you know them, they have a naked woman on the hood, cost a fortune and come with 40 years warranty.

:drinks

Laurence

All I can say about that is, "I'll never own one"!

Thanks Buddy,

Bob

Back