• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Latest Acquisitions Revisited!

A few things I've acquired. First up the new Airfix Fairey Gannet. Markings are provided for 849 NAS based at RNAS Culdrose , 815 NAS aboard HMS Ark Royal and 847 NAS operating out of RAF Nicosia during the Cyprus Emergency.

IMG_1244.JPG

Next the second release of the Airfix Meteor F.8, this time in aerobatic team colours. One for the RAAF Meteorites 1953 team and the other for the RAF College of Air Warfare College Evergreens in 1963-64. A young F/L Ray Hanna was a member of this team. Following his RAF career, he and his son formed the Old Flying Machine Company.

IMG_1243.JPG

The Tamiya FM-1 Wildcat based on their "fatally flawed and unbuildable" F4F-4 with a modified wing for the FM-1. Markings are provided for 846 NAS FAA on board the HMS Tracker operating to the west of Land's End during the Normandy landings, a west coast based VC-33 FM-1 in the Pacific tri-color scheme and an east coast VC-58 FM-1 on board the USS Guadalcanal in the North Atlantic grey/white scheme.

IMG_1242.JPG

And going old school, the re-issue of the Airfix Fairey Rotodyne.

IMG_1241.JPG

I was adopted by another helper this summer, so the crew is back up to 3. Winston is a Siamese/Tabby cross, commonly known as a Lynx Point. He is just over a year old now and is always ready to "help".

IMG_1231.JPG

Cheers,
RichB

Tamiya Wildcat unbuildable? Did they forget to put glue in the box before they shook it?
For the ultra detailers, the cowl is supposed to be to small, the cowl flaps can't be positioned, the wings can't be folded, the fuselage is too portly, the cockpit shouldn't have a full floor, some details are too simplified,...

RichB

Hi Paul, I see Trumpeter are releasing a 1/16 251/22 (with the PAK 40). I was going to get this one(plain 251) but now I think I will wait for the 22, as its my Fav variant. Looking forward to when you build this one.
Hey Ian, Just thought you would like to know that Das Werk is coming out with their SdKfz 251 as a 22 It will have more to it and probably be cheaper than the Trumpeter kit. Also most likely be a better kit overall.

Das Werk SdKfz-251-22 a.jpg

Das Werk SdKfz-251-22 b.jpg

Das Werk SdKfz-251-22 c.jpg

Das Werk SdKfz-251-22 d.jpg

Hey Ian, Just thought you would like to know that Das Werk is coming out with their SdKfz 251 as a 22 It will have more to it and probably be cheaper than the Trumpeter kit. Also most likely be a better kit overall.

View attachment 165528

View attachment 165530
Thanks Paul.......yeah I saw this and will definately be waiting for this release rather than the Trumpeter kit.
I don't know how I can possibly finish building my stash though with the continuing release of kits that I just NEED! :doh::soldier

Thanks Paul.......yeah I saw this and will definately be waiting for this release rather than the Trumpeter kit.
I don't know how I can possibly finish building my stash though with the continuing release of kits that I just NEED! :doh::soldier
Yeah, I am in the same boat. I did a deep reduction of old kits a couple of years ago and got rid of at least half of them, but still have way too many for me to ever build. I have reduced my buying, but still get pulled in with some of the newest kits.

Hey Saúl, how hard/tough/sharp are the chisels? Do you think they would sharpen well and hold a sharp edge?

@Heavens Eagle, to be VERY blunt, they feel good in the hand, work well but do dull quicker than I hope for... I have a sharpening whetstone nearby which takes care of that issue. The replacement chisels themselves are more money than this set simply because they are better quality but never seem to go on sale. I snapped the tip off the smallest one, it was the reason to replace it but then decided on the set instead (which was cheaper than the single replacement chisel).

Amazon purchases with rewards.

The binocular magnifier was bought to test out after seeing the dental residents using theirs at a longer focal point than the magnifiers I have been using. I finally asked where they got it and it was quite affordable once one knows what features to get.
AmazonBinocularMagnifiers.JPG

This Cricut blade allows for deeper cuts (obviously) which can be used on veneers... yes, real wood!
CricutDeepCutBladeAndHousing.JPG

@Sharkmouth Hey Saúl, a while back I got some of those telescope glasses from someplace online. I got two different ones that were different magnifications. For me, they didn't have enough "field of view" for doing what I am used to. The set you have looks like a lot nicer set.

Since I move beyond the Route 66 birthday last week, I splurged a little when some items popped up either on sale for simply for sale for the first time in years.

Aq-509.jpg

Aq-510.jpg

Aq-511.jpg

Aq-512.jpg

Aq-513.jpg

Eduard put in one of their emails that there were only going to be 2000 of the SM79 kit. Thus rather than waiting to see if Sprue Bros "might get it", I ordered it from Eduard. Fed Ex was 1/3 of the total cost, but as you can't get the kit anymore, I felt it was worth it.

Back