• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Latest Acquisitions Revisited!

I just got the Masterpiece Models PBR update. Arrived very quickly. Okay on initial glance I am not too thrilled with the packing and it looks like a lot of flash. I wont say much more until I have time to open it all up and look through it. I am glad though that I bought M-16s and M-60s for my boat before. Not sure what I am going to do with a surf board but I have everything now so I guess next up in the build list is my PBR. Almopst finished my M706 so it wont be long now. I also received a cool looking book on the Type VII U-Boat and new fuel tanks for my AV-8B. These are new by Dave of Flying Leathernecks and they show how truly amazing 3D printing can be. They are amazing. So with all the AM I have for my Harrier I guess there is not much reason left not to build it. PBR first though.
bllklwxlnrmnsi6vpblp.jpg

James

John, nice scores! I built an FB-111 a couple decades ago. Nice kit! I would love to have that fuel truck. here's hoping someone releases it in my scale someday.

Anyway, here's my most recent acquisition gotten at my IPMS meeting on Friday:

full

I hope to get that on the bench soon.

John, nice scores! I built an FB-111 a couple decades ago. Nice kit! I would love to have that fuel truck. here's hoping someone releases it in my scale someday.

Anyway, here's my most recent acquisition gotten at my IPMS meeting on Friday:

full

I hope to get that on the bench soon.
Hey Mark did you see the 1/72 M48 decals I posted? I got my 1/35 decals in the mail today, just 2 weeks. They look pretty good. I like the boat, at first I thought it was a Vosper.

James

Okay pictures tomorrow but I just got the Kotare Spitfire Mk Ia and WOW WOW WOW!!! From looking through the kit quickly and a quick thumb through of the instructions I am absolutely Happy with this purchase. Its like if WNW had made WWII aircraft. I can see myself getting another one or two. Mine came with a 3D printed exhaust which was a bonus of pre ordering and a gorgeous print from the cover of the box.
4f382719-K32001%20Kotare%201-32%20Spitfire%20Mk.Ia%20(Mid)%20box%20art%2072dpi1280.jpg

These are the markings.
257397cb-spitfire%20mk.ia%20n3180%20kl-b%20kiwi%2054%20squadron%20may%201940.jpg

0f4743e0-spitfire%20mk.ia%20p9495%20dw-k%20610%20squadron%20june%20%20july%201940.jpg

62a05574-spitfire%20mk.ia%20n3277%20az-h%20dirty%20dick%20234%20squadron%20august%201940.jpg

James

Okay pictures tomorrow but I just got the Kotare Spitfire Mk Ia and WOW WOW WOW!!! From looking through the kit quickly and a quick thumb through of the instructions I am absolutely Happy with this purchase. Its like if WNW had made WWII aircraft. I can see myself getting another one or two. Mine came with a 3D printed exhaust which was a bonus of pre ordering and a gorgeous print from the cover of the box.
4f382719-K32001%20Kotare%201-32%20Spitfire%20Mk.Ia%20(Mid)%20box%20art%2072dpi1280.jpg

These are the markings.
257397cb-spitfire%20mk.ia%20n3180%20kl-b%20kiwi%2054%20squadron%20may%201940.jpg

0f4743e0-spitfire%20mk.ia%20p9495%20dw-k%20610%20squadron%20june%20%20july%201940.jpg

62a05574-spitfire%20mk.ia%20n3277%20az-h%20dirty%20dick%20234%20squadron%20august%201940.jpg

James
I tried to do a pre-order, but it just was not working. Some kind of malfunction on the site. After several attempts I gave up.

So where are the photos of the kit itself?

I tried to do a pre-order, but it just was not working. Some kind of malfunction on the site. After several attempts I gave up.

So where are the photos of the kit itself?
Coming, probably Saturday. Just have not got time right now. Looking though I am very impressed with what I saw. The instruction book is very much like the WNW instructions. If you cant wait for me I saw an in box review on You tube.

James

Coming, probably Saturday. Just have not got time right now. Looking though I am very impressed with what I saw. The instruction book is very much like the WNW instructions. If you cant wait for me I saw an in box review on You tube.

James
My understanding is that this company is made up of ex WNW's staff, so it looks as though this will be their new direction with the same quality, which is great as it good to have the quality regardless of Mr Jackson's financial situation.

My understanding is that this company is made up of ex WNW's staff, so it looks as though this will be their new direction with the same quality, which is great as it good to have the quality regardless of Mr Jackson's financial situation.
Yes it does look that way. The kit came with a 2 page bio of the owner. He's a Veterinarian who was disappointed that NZ lost a premiere model company and so decided to jump in. I'm looking forward to seeing what this company comes out with. I was not able to take pics or do a review this weekend but from preliminary looks it is awesome. There are warts though. One thing I was disappointed to see is the exhausts are not drilled out. Maybe why they have am 3d printed exhausts. I will try and look at it in more detail and write something soon.

Picked up this Tamiya kit at a local show this weekend, I just wanted a nice simple out of the box build to keep the mojo flowing.

82C94446-6E8B-460C-9C86-CEC42A0CBBD8.jpeg

When I started digging into the box I found a pile of extras nestled within the sprues, so much for a quick out of the box build.

4201DC25-7884-4B91-A275-74888A994652.jpeg

…on a side note, the commander figures face looks pretty familiar?!
37589824-ADF0-4202-A37E-F714BB1C9A6C.jpeg

Replacements as these things break with a sideways glance!

0.1 mm to 3.0 in tenths of a millimeter. $10.28USD shipped: View attachment 158653
Yeah they do Saúl, which is why I use the Dremel with the external speed control that I use. A flex shaft is heavier, and if something grabs that long flex shaft will bounce HARD. Using the Dremel with external speed control I can run it slow and consistent and there is no bounce.
I spent a lot of years drilling prototype fiberglass PC boards with these type bits and tended to wear them out long before I broke them, even with small sized holes.

I use a handheld (pencil type) drill but my flex shaft is mounted on a hanger so it is almost vertical when in use. You think that is still trouble? :bm:

wowstickdrill00-jpg.154860

21mFxF09y8L._AC_.jpg

21mFxF09y8L._AC_.jpg
The little drill is a nice little device. Only problem is when the battery dies you either replace it or have to wait to charge it. I gave up battery anything years ago as the batteries were either toast, or were never ready in the occasional instance that I needed the item. My old trusty 30+ year old Craftsman plug in drill works every time and at most I need a little extension cord.

As to the flex shaft, it has nothing to due with the mounting. If you are using tiny drills, the length of the shaft is the problem. That length with the weight/power of the motor at the other end will bounce it the tip jams at all. It is great for doing stuff that needs power or has to run a fairly long time. With tiny drill bits however it is going to break them at some point as there is too much mass and power going on. In addition, you are going to constantly fight the flex shaft's weight and pull.

I did this:

Aw2-Ho229-88.jpg

Aw2-Ho229-89.jpg

Aw2-Ho229-90.jpg

Remember that clear plastic is rather brittle as well, and a small drill can grab and pull as it breaks through the back side. I drilled all these holes with one very thin bit and did not break the bit. I can promise you that a flex shaft would have broken the bit.
With this:

Dremel Speed Control.jpg

While the Dremel has some weight, it stays constant, and the power cord doesn't put any real pull or tension on it. Also when running slower with little load it does not heat up. The speed control sets a constant speed that once you have drilled a few holes, becomes real easy to know how to handle and hold it to feed the bit and not break it. I have used this set up for over 30 years and while I have used some quality jewelry flex shaft units in the past, I wouldn't trust them with any tiny bits.
For sanding, grinding, cutting, and drilling larger holes and such a flex shaft will work well, but I still prefer this setup for the precise control it gives.

Actually I looked in the box one time years ago and there is a bit more than just the pot to put variance on the speed. Last I looked they are on the bay and usually are not all that pricey. The unit also has a fuse in it "just in case". I do know that it can slow the speed WAY DOWN lower than you will really want to run it at. Have actually thought about buying a back up unit and find an old Dremel to use as a back up as well. I also like the old Dremel drill press that the platform rises up as the drill does not wobble at all when mounted.

I just looked on the bay and the Speed Control I have is available for from $16 up to $55. It is specifically done so that the Dremel won't lag out when running lower speeds where a rheostat can do weird stuff.

Back