• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Latest Acquisitions Revisited!

New reading material...
PSIDCapBadges00.JPG

Although I have another by General, this one has multiple speeds and (cable not shown) USB rechargeable. Everything you see (plus a cable not shown) was $15.17USD shipped.
AliXpressEngraver00.JPG

Spotted this the other day and had to buy it.
Its a re box of the old Protar model i think, re released in 2020 /21 i must have missed it during lock down or something because it would have been on my instant buy list.

61E3z800gIL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

This is Barry Sheens RG500 square, four 2 stroke GP machine from about 1973 when i and most of the UK were captivated by Barry Sheen on this bike. His winning of world champion ships and his 170mph crash a Daytona that left his body shattered..........but saw him racing again 6 weeks later knowing that another crash would probably paralyse him. I think he was still using a later version of the RG500 when his battle with Kenny Roberts in 1979 produced probably the best motorcycle race ever.
As an aside...its thankfully from an era after spoked wheels :)

the problem i have with these things is they need a small pin vice to take pin drills rather than a collet system. Also they are usually too fast as the nature of the thing is zero torque. so they melt rather than cut plastic.

The issue i've always had with dremals is the shaft wobble. Since this is named an engraver is it prett steady? How's the torque?
I had read a review of a branded engraver someone raved about and copied the specs. This is what I used to search for the engraver and the resulting one I chose has these specifications. I will test it out soon.

"Electric Drilling Etching Pen Professional Cordless Engraving Drill 3 Gears Adjustable DIY Power Tools for Ceramic Metal Plastic
Feature:
1.Comfortable Grip:
The well-designed engraving pen lets you use it like a pencil for a comfortable hand, better control and precise engraving.
2.Reliable Quality: High-strength metal and selected electronic parts are used, which are wear-resistant, wear-resistant and have a long service life.
3.Easy to use: The cordless engraving pen can work normally without a plug, eliminating the problem of wire confusion.
4.High Efficiency: This engraving pen can provide high speed of up to 5000-25000r/min, providing efficient engraving effect, three-speed adjustable, easier engraving. The electric engraving pen is powered by a lithium battery and can be recharged. No more disposable batteries!
5.Wide Range of Applications: It can be used to engrave metal, ceramics, wood, pebbles, plastics, etc. Perfect for DIY projects or craft use.

Specification:
Name: Mini electric grinding pen
Voltage: 3.6V
Battery capacity: 280 mA
No load speed: 5000-25000
Chuck size: About 2.35mm/0.09inch
Host length: About 12.4cm/4.88inch
Style:
A: 30pcs Grinding Needles
B: 42pcs in the set
C: 46pcs in the set
The full charge lasts about 90 minutes
After fully charged, the maximum speed, no-load, continuous operation about 110 minutes."

the problem i have with these things is they need a small pin vice to take pin drills rather than a collet system. Also they are usually too fast as the nature of the thing is zero torque. so they melt rather than cut plastic.

My issue is that it has a 3mm collet secure by a screw. No chuck is included. I bought a 3-jaw chuck for the General engraver which was 5.1cm long and wobbled since the weight of the collet is away from the pen. Since the opening on this one is 3/32nd inch (a bit larger) the wobble was expected once I tightened the screw.
GeneralEngraver00.JPG

Hopefully this new engraver is a tighter, and less wobbly, fit with the 3-jaw chuck.
1667144177328.png

GeneralEngraver00.JPG

The new engraver does go down to only 5,000 rpm so it may not melt plastic.

I think the wobble you all are talking about is with the smallest collet which is for holding say a #80 drill bit. I agree with that though the real issue isn't the drill motor, but the collet itself. I think I have found maybe one collet in all the ones I have bought that actually ran somewhat true. Even the larger collets can have a little wobble. I do have a set now that are pretty true for my Dremel. It just took buying several sets to get it that way.

As to the speed issue, most of the better quality flex shafts (for actual jewelry work can run quite slow. I don't really like the flex shafts though as they can grab and yank and then the shaft will make the tool move around.

The variable speed Dremels (and most of the other hand held units) all run too fast and of course melt their way through the plastic. Years ago I had the opportunity to use the Dremel variable speed power supply. I have shown pics of it on here before. I won't use my Dremel without it as I can control the speed way down to zero. When you are talking about 5 thousand RPM, I am talking about a few HUNDRED RPM! Which do you think will melt plastic faster.

I used my Dremel with the speed control to drill way over 100 holes with a #87 (.009inch or .23mm) carbide drill bit in clear plastic, and DID NOT break the bit. While I do have very steady hands, the bigger part is having really slow speed control. These speed controls are still a reasonable price on Baywatch and will work with ANY plug in Dremel.

Aw2-Ho229-88.jpg

Dremel Speed Control.jpg

Note the old Vari speed Dremel and the speed control is all the way full on. The "Box" works better than the switch ever thought about working. With the switch turned on high it works great. If it isn't it does some weird stuff and you will "KNOW" that it isn't full on.

The only thing that drills better and more true is my mill and there are quite a number of things that it just cannot do.

I actually used this unit to drill thousands of holes in hundreds of prototype fiberglass circuit boards and mostly wore the carbide bits out.

One other thing, This Dremel is about 35 years old. Not running it at high RPM has also greatly lengthened how long it is going to last.

OK, it is about time I posted the items I have picked up in recent times.

Aq-444.jpg

Aq-445.jpg

Aq-446.jpg

Aq-447.jpg

Aq-448.jpg

Aq-449.jpg

Aq-450.jpg

I had forgotten just how large the original 1/32 scale B-17 was. Glad I was finally able to obtain one of these.

As to the speed issue, most of the better quality flex shafts (for actual jewelry work can run quite slow. I don't really like the flex shafts though as they can grab and yank and then the shaft will make the tool move around.

I have several tools (obviously) and the engraver is not used for drilling but with diamond burrs to remove plastic or resin. I prefer hand vices for drilling small holes.

I bought a newer Dremel with came with a flex shaft and was designed for the vertical press I had. However, my main flex shaft is from Foredom (got it from a dentist) but I use a foot pedal to control the speed. The only awkward thing about the Foredom if that the motor housing is designed to be hung as it has no feet. Since the flex shaft is starting to bind, I will need to replace it.

Tested the Foredom CC (F Motor) and it is the duplex spring in the handpiece that is damaged. It turns but slowly. Replacement is expensive because of the duplex spring. Here is that rusty piece with the new engraver holding the chuck.

ForedamH8D001.JPG

So, I have ordered the 3-jaw (Jacob) H.30 handpiece which should arrive tomorrow. The extra flexibility of the duplex spring isn't there.

1667211140900.png

If I find I need it, I can get a duplex spring adapter separately.
1667211350756.png

A nice thing about the Foredom motor is that it starts slow and builds up speed until the limit (which I set from the foot pedal). This handpiece allows me to use more tools and bits than the previous one. The check wrench does have a strange and cheap feeling plastic handle.
ForedomH30Handpiece 001.JPG

As tight as it goes...
ForedomH30Handpiece 002.JPG

Say ahhhhh...
ForedomH30Handpiece 003.JPG

A nice thing about the Foredom motor is that it starts slow and builds up speed until the limit (which I set from the foot pedal). This handpiece allows me to use more tools and bits than the previous one. The check wrench does have a strange and cheap feeling plastic handle.View attachment 154285
As tight as it goes...
View attachment 154284

Say ahhhhh...
View attachment 154283
You are right in that the Foredom unit is very nice for most jewelry and hobby stuff. Each of our jewelers has 3 different units. I don't think they are are all Foredom, but they each have different properties. I know one of them has a unit with an RPM reduction module on it. The hand piece is exceptional. I just don't like the long flex shaft as I have had trouble with the shaft in the past. If for some reason you are drilling or something and the tool grabs and stops, the shaft can and usually does dance and bounce causing the handle to move and can break the tool if it is delicate.
On a side note, the speed control you have with the Foredom foot control is about the same as I have with the Dremel speed control which is why I like it. The other thing is that I can set the speed and it stays put. The foot control can be a bit of a problem at times.
We all have our preferences. A good tool can't be beat. Some just need a little extra to get them to work the best.

On a side note, the speed control you have with the Foredom foot control is about the same as I have with the Dremel speed control which is why I like it. The other thing is that I can set the speed and it stays put. The foot control can be a bit of a problem at times.
One can always make a speed control unit:

Depends on the motor and setup. The Foredom is made to work with a resistance setup, and I have some motors for watch lathes that work in a similar way. Doesn't work well with a Dremel though. There are some more electronics in the Dremel speed control where the Dremel motor doesn't freak out and will work with a little power at lower RPM which is why I bring up the Dremel speed control for use with Dremels.

I will admit it has been a while since I looked inside the speed control, and if I remember correctly it isn't much, but it is a bit more than just a rheostat. (your dimmer switch)

I will admit it has been a while since I looked inside the speed control, and if I remember correctly it isn't much, but it is a bit more than just a rheostat. (your dimmer switch)
A look inside the Foredom foot pedal didn't show much, as in the video of the clone. I made my own speed control for my mini-lathe. Indeed, from a rheostat. Mine looks a bit more industrial than the ones in the videos and I could use a knob. Pardon the shop detritus.
RheostatController 001.JPG

its been a long wait but finally

Hobby 2000 BAE Harrier GR7/9 1:48 Plastic Plane Model Kit 48019​

SKU: H2K48-Harrier

api3hung4__78635.jpg

I bought 2 just in case :) and they are advertised as when they are gone there will be no more ( this is a Hasegawa rebox)

now i see Italeri are about to release a Bugatti in 1/12...very impressed with their alfa i built last month.....hmmmmm its a lot of money ...

I saw the Alfa listed in Sprue Brothers I think and it was rather pricey. I wouldn't mind trying the Bugatti, but am really trying to limit down my kit buying. I have one of the old Monogram 1/24 Bugatti kits in my stash along with many of the other classic cars kits. Will just have to build up one of them. :hmm:

Added to my 48th scale Trumpeter MiG-23BN box (for one of the Libyan Sharks):
Aires4794MiG23BN48tail 001.JPG

I prefer 4136

MiG-23BN 4135 22497467_10155806919559686_522970827_n.jpg
MiG-23BN 4136 a.jpg
MiG-23BN 4136 b.jpg
MiG-23BN 4136 c.jpg
MiG-23BN 4136 d.jpg
MiG-23BN 4136 e.jpg
MiG-23BN 4136 f.jpg
MiG-23BN 4136 g.jpg
MiG-23BN 4136 h.jpg