• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Latest Acquisitions Revisited!

MasterAM48NuG17MiGstatic.JPG
MEatWar47MoscowPokerGame00.JPG

I do wonder now we know that Russian Forces are so badly organised and equipped and with a chronic moral problem if the fascination with them will dwindle ?
i think people build up an almost mythical status about untried weapons like the T14 and Mig35 but when push comes to shove they never really stack up.
I remekmber when i was in engineering we bought a new Russian Horizontal and vertical Mill, a big thing and it arrived complete with a couple of Russians who accompanied it to set it up. not that helpful as neither spoke english :)
the bottom line was it was probably quite capable but it was so badly made it was pretty much useless. We stuck with it for a couple of years, remade a lot of parts, we had to completely replace all the hydraulics because they leaked everywhere, we learned to compensate for the backlash in all the drives and so on but really, although it was 60 years newer, it was no match for the British 1950's machine it had replaced.

There's been a lot of myths about Russia over the years. You always want to project strength even when you have none.

Paddy, my father owned three machine shops and a foundry. He bought a very expensive German made boring machine (1970 or so) that would not work. After the factory rep (who spoke English) got done tearing it down and putting it back together it worked great and we were left with several extra parts!

Well I have been splurging lately although not posting much. I took some pictures of stuff close to hand but I also got some decals and AM parts for various kits including ATAK resin Zimmerit for my Tiger1. I also picked up a Saturn 2 printer but have not yet tried it. Hopefully this weekend as we have a Thanksgiving long weekend to enjoy. The Katys are nice but I was disappointed that the figure of Princess Elizabeth is plastic and not resin. And I was surprised and quite happy to find the Border Models 88 comes in a very nice metal tin. So here are pics I have taken of stuff that has come in.
20221007_172155.jpg
20221007_172227.jpg
20221007_172257.jpg
20221007_172318.jpg
20221007_172552.jpg
20221007_172601.jpg
20221007_172613.jpg

Meanwhile my modeling has started to pick up a bit now that my medical stuff is hopefully finished and I have a M114 almost done. I have also been printing on my FDM printer as it is at my office desk and have made a bunch of cool usefull stuff. I even deigned a replacement wheel for a cart at work and tried TPU for the first time. TPU is like rubber. Now to try and print a bat for the wife as she thinks a rubber bat for Halloween would be cool.
James

With a kid in college which we are paying for to minimize his loans, not much hobby splurging occurring. Hobby Lobby 40% off on an underpriced nice kit is always welcomed.

Sirfix75P-51DHLSale.JPG

For whatever reason, the Gunze glue was $2 off their $5.99 price so it was added along with these tiny polishing pads (paid full price though):
HobbyLobbySale001.JPG

As usual, click to see inside the box. This company should be selling more of their conversions and corrections as they are complete and very affordable. I ordered them for my birthday, the 12th, and got them today, the 19th.
CWS48010a.JPGCWS48024a.JPGCWSD48001a.JPG

I went on a trip to Hobby Lobby yesterday and I got home to find a package from Masterpiece Models! Holy Moly! John Geigle said he would include an item for review when I was asking about the jig set and the box is stuffed!
After being blunt and honest about the PACV in my review, I never expected a chance to review more items from Masterpiece Models. This tells me John is a person who wants to know what his customers think and (I hope) accepts constructive criticism. These items will all be reviewed within the next ten days.

Hobby Lobby purchases. Gunze Glue is $2 off the regular $5.99 price and the silicon applicators are what I need for some weathering tricks (without paying for the model maker's brand name).
GZglueHLTeflonApplicators.JPG

A look at the 5 applicator types included in the set.
HLTeflonApplicators.JPG

Full sized ruler.

MMR.JPG

A look at the 32nd scale ruler, one side is calibrated in feet.
MMR32a.JPG

A look at the 32nd scale ruler, one side is calibrated in meters.
MMR32b.JPG

Various scales are available as a set of four or to buy individually. These include the aforementioned 32nd scale but also 35th, 48th, and 72nd scales.
MMRset.JPG

Rice paper tape 1/8th (0.125) inch by 60 yards.
MMTL011a.JPG

Rice paper tape 1/4th (0.25) inch by 60 yards.
MMTL012a.JPG

Rice paper tape 1/2 (0.5) inch by 60 yards.
MMTL013a.JPG

Rice paper tape 1 inch by 60 yards.
MMTL014a.JPG

The MottleMaster weathering stencil. A technique I am keen to try.
MMTL015a.JPG

Bench Mate II with the upgrade. I need to assemble it.
MMTL024a.JPG

Last edited:
Laser cut thick cardboard. Since it was provided to me for free, I will test it out for durability. However, there is a video review here:

Back