• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Latest Acquisitions Revisited!

I just received this kit. I originally saw it in a photo from this years Wonderfest which I was not able to attend. Lucky for me there was the information in the photo that I needed to obtain the kit.

Aq-443a Martian war machine.jpg

I had one of these comics back in the late 60's. It was one of my favs and don't have a clue what happened to it. Anyway It inspired me to do a little sleuthing and I learned that this comic has been reprinted a number of times. The first printing was back in 1955. There were later reprints in 1965 or 1968 as well as 1970. I was able to obtain for a somewhat reasonable price an original printing 1955 in really good shape. You can tell it is 67 years old as the pages are quite yellowed, however, it is hardly worn or damaged. Then I was able to contact the person with the kit. He was actually surprised I was able to find a way to contact him.

The kit showed up today. It is a reasonably decent casting, yet fairly simple in detail and build.

Aq-443.jpg

This should be an interesting build down the road.

Shockingly I didn't have USAF SEA paints...well, 3 of the 4. Going to need them for the USAFE F-4D. Saw some Ukrainian decals to give me a couple options for the Su-25 & MiG-29 when it comes time. Also snagged a cheap Zoom cockpit PE for the HH-60D. Yeah not exact, but good enough for me. It'll add a lot to the otherwise very basic Academy cockpit.

I picked up a couple of things this weekend at the swap meet but nothing major.

when I found the DH88s in such bad repair I started looking for replacements. SBS Models had them out of stock and when I emailed them about restock, I was informed the molds have been damaged and there will be no more.

Csaba at SBS Models found one of their resellers on Ebay had low stock so I jumped at it.

1661889022091.png

I really think I'd like to do both these at the same time and display them as if on MacRobertson race day. There was a photo I saw once of 3 of them lined up, Red, black and I think the Green one. I'll do just the red and black.

All great scores guys! Beautiful! Paul, I never knew that War of the Worlds tripod existed! Cool!

A couple weeks back, I had gotten paid for a job. A couple days after, I got a text from a friend telling me of an estate sale just down the raod from my house. The sale had tons of model kits, a few finished models and even more wargame supplies as well as boxes and boxes of well organized baseball cards. I never even knew another model builder was so close to my house! Well, I felt I could spare a Ben Franklin to see what he had. This is what I got.

First off, I grabbed as many tools and accessories that I could find. It was interesting what he had on his workbench:

full

The top right is a box of parafilm roll. Next to it on the left is a metal tim with all those metal tins inside. Each has a clear plastic lid. The glared out container in front of the parafilm is a hobby drop cloth from Testor's. Remember those? The bottle labeled "Super" is actually some airbrush lubricant. That will be a great help! There's the two tweezers in between the cloth and the lubricant, these have that claw end for holding parts better. Finally the rest is strip or tube styrene. I'm still not sure what the silver roll is; maybe soldering flux, or some kind of wire. For some reason I didn't want to leave that behind.

The next thing was these two German WWI aircraft in bags. I couldn't tell what company they were from, but they are still sealed:

full

Then I found this Hasegawa weapons set number 3. I'm sure I have another box or two of these, but hey, can't have enough of these bad boys can you?

full

This one was a model I'd been looking for for quite some time. I'm glad I finally got it and will be starting it soon:

full

This is one I never knew was released! Since my favorite Marvel movies are the Guardians of the Galaxy, and Rocket is one of my top favorite members of said group, I just had to get this:

full

Then at my IPMS meeting, I got a raffle ticket for entering models in our monthly contest and placed it in the tub for these decals. I won!

full

They consist of three sheets of railroad decals in HO scale, including Amtrac; and one sheet of WWII German armor insignia along with company, battalion and divisional markings. Then a friend came up to me and sold me this Airfix Dogfight Doubles set, complete with the brush, paints and other accessories mentioned on the box. I told him I was out of cash, but he said, "Pay me when you can, I just want to see these built and I know you will do it".

full

During the meeting, we honored a member who had passed named Reed West. He was a prolific aircraft modeler, but also did cars adn a couple other things too. His preferred aircraft subject were WWII biplanes in 1/72 scale. He used to make hundreds of jigs for aligning the wings for these and gave a few hundred away. There were still about a hundred more still in his stash that his friend Bob Penikas was giving away. Since I now had that Dogfight Double set, I requested one from Bob and got this, complete with one of his in progress projects that he didn't finish:

full

That is a vacu-formed aircraft of a Martin-something Scout. I doubt I'll ever finish it as I haven't any other parts for this, so I don't know what I'll do with the plane. I will definitely hold onto it though.

Finally, here is my last "official" purchase from a store (either online or street), this was pre-ordered through Kitlinx when I had some left over money from a job. Five months later, it finally came in. I had forgotten I'd ordered it, it had been so long:

full

This is the second of the three Dragon Stryker variants that I've been wanting to get. Now to try and track down the last variant when my check from this last job comes in. He's already five days late paying me....

That's it for me. Don't know if or when I'll have more acquisitions so I'm going to enjoy all this!

Gotten a couple small deliveries over the past couple weeks. Cans for the F-15I, which is the current leading contender for the club GB (Israeli). The remaining paints I needed to round out both the modern & classic IDF camo (in case I decide to build something older like a Mirage, A-4, or F-4 instead). The AIM-7s & 9s for the Lakenheath F-4D, since the kit winders were the wrong type and the Sparrows were complete garbage. The Molotow chome pens were a spontaneous purchase from suggestions of a couple guys here...especially @mustang1989. He's taking most of the blame for those. :lol:

@helios How do you like the MRP paints? I picked some up for my Ukrainian aircraft but have yet to try them. Could you tell me a little about how you use and apply them?

@Heavens Eagle I really like them. Both my current F-4 projects (F-4D & F-4EJ Kai) were sprayed with them.

Pluses: They spray pretty thin right out of the bottle...sometimes I'll add a little Tamiya (yellow cap) lacquer thinner to thin it out a little more if I want to do a real slow build up. They are great for creating subtle (or not so subtle) variances in coverage to simulate weathering/age, or easy to build up for full uniform coverage (w/o losing detail). Really lets details show by not burying under a thick layer of paint. Really good color selection (lots of FS color identifications). Lacquer finish is durable...especially compared to the MM enamels these are replacing for me.

Drawbacks: Airbrush only, so if you were looking for brush application these won't work. Definitely not cheap at roughly $8/bottle. Because they go down thin, you do have to pay a bit more attention to build/surface prep because they will allow faults to show through just as easily as the details (not likely an issue for you though having seen your attention to details on your builds). They are lacquer, so good ventilation is a must.

I use Tamiya clear overcoats for decals and weathering (so I can use oils w/o damaging the finish) with no issues. I'll frequently use Tamiya acrylics as a base coat (German Grey was used on both F-4s). Tamiya spray primer is my go to for primers.

I have a friend in Australia that has been using the AK Interactive paints recently and likes them as an alternative to MRP. He loves MRP, but has a really hard time getting them where he is at. The AK are a close second for him, and I believe come brushable which can make them a better value when you compare thinned volumes. I likely would've tried them if they were more available here...but the MRP is readily available now that SB started stocking them a while back. And now I'm starting to get a decent stock of MRP to run along w/ the Tamiya (which is available locally), I don't really want to mess too much with a 3rd main line of paint. I have been experimenting w/ some of the Gunze metallics to see if they might be able to fill the gap of the old MM Metallizers, but those are pretty much a specialty application so don't really consider them my "main" paints.

Back