• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Latest Acquisitions Revisited!

An oldie but a goodie! I found this old MPM Dornier (vacuform) for $11. It has some good detail, going to use it as practice for some of the other vacs I have.

3.jpg

An oldie but a goodie! I found this old MPM Dornier (vacuform) for $11. It has some good detail, going to use it as practice for some of the other vacs I have.
A blast from the past! I had several, actually completed a few. Does yours have brown styrene parts? Most kits had them, nice decals on orange paper, and often PE. The ones I completed, for the collector, were the I-153 (built him another from LTD when he irreparably damaged it), Avia B.534 (I still have one of the two he gave me to build and compared it to the Eduard release), SB-2 bombers (one Chinese and another SCW Republican), and a Pe-2. Definitely more time-consuming to build!

Regards,

A blast from the past! I had several, actually completed a few. Does yours have brown styrene parts? Most kits had them, nice decals on orange paper, and often PE. The ones I completed, for the collector, were the I-153 (built him another from LTD when he irreparably damaged it), Avia B.534 (I still have one of the two he gave me to build and compared it to the Eduard release), SB-2 bombers (one Chinese and another SCW Republican), and a Pe-2. Definitely more time-consuming to build!

Regards,
Yeah Saul, it has the old brown styrene...

6.jpg

It will be a challenge but looks pretty good!

Those are really cool Mike! Be aware that the carbide bits are VERY brittle. They are sharp as all get out, but break VERY easy. I have worked with those bits for a couple of decades and with care they last a long time, but one little tweak and they break.

HEC_3658a.jpg

HEC_3659a.jpg

This is where I have been buying my bits from and they are quite reasonable. It is also possible to make up your own mix on the sets you buy. Check them out.
Drill Bits Unlimited

The other tools look really nice as well. Yeah I am a tool whore, but I am a watchmaker and it goes with the job.

3D_emoticon_184.gif
3D_emoticon_149.gif
3D_emoticon_148.gif

Drill Bit City bits are a waste of money, if you don't have a drill press, they are useless. The reason for this purchase was the mini vise, but the high speed steel bits are really great for the money and the rest are just gravy. Not my first rodeo.

Drill Bit City bits are a waste of money, if you don't have a drill press, they are useless. The reason for this purchase was the mini vise, but the high speed steel bits are really great for the money and the rest are just gravy. Not my first rodeo.
As I said, I have been using them since the mid 90's, but it is a different skill set than many folks have. I can and have just used a Dremel with the separate speed control to lower the speed down A LOT, and then drilled holes by hand. The trick is don't spin too fast and melt the plastic, and being able to hold it fairly still while drilling.

It can be done....
Aw2-Ho229-88.jpg

Drill Bit City bits are a waste of money, if you don't have a drill press, they are useless.
Like Paul, I work slowly but I use my hands. Although I have a Dremel drill press and a foot pedal controlled Dremel, I rarely use the combination as it is in the garage workshop.

316VNWeapons11.jpg

I broke my first one (in over a year) two nights ago drilling out the vent holes on the Dragon POS. My mistake? I coughed and let it go so it snapped under its own weight! It was too close to the shaft to consider resharpening.

It was a learning curve though which was covered by the school during IT training (drilling PCBs). oops, I probably shouldn't have said that some bits made it home with me! Pin vise spring type hand drills were useless to me, my Foredom flexible shaft tool was OK on larger bits. This tool was a deal from my dentist when he upgraded and was controlled by a foot pedal as well. Dremel did NOT work unless in the drill press.

This pin vise didn't work with the carbide bits but was perfect for the regular, and more durable, HSS drill bits.
1646544122496.jpeg

@Iron Mike, thanks for posting... :D

Looking at how I'll spend some Amazon Reward points! I find it curious how many vendors use a walnut in their display.

Regards,

Like Paul, I work slowly but I use my hands. Although I have a Dremel drill press and a foot pedal controlled Dremel, I rarely use the combination as it is in the garage workshop.

View attachment 147743

I broke my first one (in over a year) two nights ago drilling out the vent holes on the Dragon POS. My mistake? I coughed and let it go so it snapped under its own weight! It was too close to the shaft to consider resharpening.

It was a learning curve though which was covered by the school during IT training (drilling PCBs). oops, I probably shouldn't have said that some bits made it home with me! Pin vise spring type hand drills were useless to me, my Foredom flexible shaft tool was OK on larger bits. This tool was a deal from my dentist when he upgraded and was controlled by a foot pedal as well. Dremel did NOT work unless in the drill press.

This pin vise didn't work with the carbide bits but was perfect for the regular, and more durable, HSS drill bits.
View attachment 147744

@Iron Mike, thanks for posting... :D

Looking at how I'll spend some Amazon Reward points! I find it curious how many use a walnut in their display.

Regards,
Same. I have that same set and problem.
I need dills that are small but have thicker ends.

Here is my secret for drilling with a Dremel by hand. The ancient Dremel speed control.
With a variable speed Dremel simply set it at full speed and let the speed control adjust it. The control has a MUCH greater range than that on the Dremels and can slow it down to where it barely crawls. This is needed for working with these tiny brittle bits and plastic.

HEC_3662a.jpg

Well then, let's see what's wrong with this purchase, shall we?

IMG_2376 (2).JPG

IMG_2377 (2).JPG

Another $20 Amazon deal. For what it's worth, it works quite well, especially in places I can't get to with my Proxxon foam cutter.
:Drinks:

Well then, let's see what's wrong with this purchase, shall we?
I didn't see anything wrong with the previous one (or I wouldn't try hunting it down). My reaction was to the "waste of money" comment. I took that to mean anyone buying them is wasting their money. This would obviously include Paul, myself, and Moon Puppy.

I'd gladly trade you HSS for your Carbide bits, if interested. Let me know the sizes and I will try to match them.

I don't have any foam cutting tools.

Regards,

I may have spent unnecessarily, but I have never wasted money, except on my ex-wives. Tools are always useful, if not necessarily for their original intent. Several tools have been repurposed for lobster crackers, sewing do-hickes and god knows what else.

New additions to the library.

I'm not too pleased with this one. The artwork is fine but no photos to show the inspiration behind the color profiles.
KageroCD8WarsawPactVol2a.JPG

I expected the decals to reflect some of the schemes covered. Instead, only a dozen insignias in two scales (72nd & 48th) for Poland, DDR, and Czechoslovakia.
KageroCD8WarsawPactVol2f.JPG

This title is more traditional with text, color profiles, and plans...
KageroMono79Kate0.JPG

plus a poster tossed in for good measure.
KageroMono79Kate6.JPG

No extras with this one and it did not have any scale plans so I need to wait for Volume II.
KageroMono80MiG3Vol1a.JPG

This one also didn't have any scale plans!
KageroMono82FA18EFVol2a.JPG

Regards,

Yep, it works both ways... tools not intended for model building but perfectly suited and model building tools finding other uses.

Regards,
Yup! That is my work and hobby to a "T"!! Use a lot of the watchmaker tools for the hobby and a fair amount of hobby tools go to watch repair.

Back