• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Latest Acquisitions Revisited!

I bought this book solely for the photographs. While one author is new but has shown promise with a previous book on the T-35, the second one never responded adequately to a charge of plagiarism on his article which appears in the book as well as the web site he contributes to. Therefore, I will not be reviewing it. Neither author reads or speaks Russian, nor have visited the Russian archives, or have used primary documents, and an honest review bothered them.
T34Shock 001.JPG

Regards,

I picked up a couple of items the last week or so. This weekend I took advantage of the Sprue Brothers RFM sale.

Aq-417.jpg

Aq-418.jpg

Aq-419.jpg

Bob Letterman has another Heller sailing ship in his stash that he has always wanted to build up. I have always wanted to build a big one of these (built the little Revell kit when I was a kid) I swapped off several 1/350 kits that I no longer wanted or intended to build and got this and some in-house cash for paint or whatever.

Aq-420.jpg

I will gladly accept Saul's advice on the Sherman and T-34 kits. The Victory I am sure will be a slog and I already know I will have to deal with some minor warpage and will have to scratch build up a piece that broke off and is missing. (the part for the other side is complete for a pattern shouldn't be hard) Also the vaccuformed sails are toast. They were super thin to begin with and are all pretty deformed. I had decided a long time ago to never build a ship with sails again. They tend to hide too much detail and make it harder to handle and keep dust off. This kit is 110cm long or about 44 inches. It will definitely be an impressive beast.

The house reassembly is coming along. The "work" room is mostly set back up (furniture wise) but am weeding out on a lot of stuff and trying to go through everything. I need to go through several large boxes of kits and find them a new home. Lighten my load and make life a little less stress filled.

This is a Christmas gift for my son's godfather...
CaracalCD48181UH1N.JPG

These are far superior to STEEL and the other PE crap they make.
Eduard49077MiG23FabricBalets.JPG

French language books but well done histories. Yes, I see the names Puma, Hetzer, and FAMO in them but... it is about the unit.
Heimdal2PDNormandy44V3a.JPG

Incredible book covers even the US Navy radios! click photo for mini-review:
HeimdalAlliedRadiosV1a.JPG
Some of the photos are new to me but there are 'prototype vehicle' photos which I believe I read (in Hungarian books) that were actually models.
HeimdalHungarianArmoredForcesinWWII01.JPG

Regards,

That's because these are made by HGW. I have a number of these for various aircraft. They can be tricky, but I like them much better than the Photo etched stuff.

I find it interesting that the HGW belts ALL have the Eduard name on the PE parts but the Eduard belts do not have HGW anywhere (not even on the laser cut microfabric). Yet, they both put their name and product number on the fabric. HGW sets have both names on the PE fret.
HGW132557.jpg

Eduard appears on the fabric and PE of their own set with no mention of HGW.
Eduard49077MiG23FabricBalets.JPG

Could it be that the laser cut micro fabric is done by a third company?

Regards,

I've often wanted to give these seat belts a go. When they first came out, and even now for that matter, the PE seat belts work like a charm but I keep coming around to seeing if this is just the cherry on top for realism as far as seat belts go.

I believe that a lot of PE is done by Eduard for other companies, especially those in the Euro Union. I guess it is much easier (and probably easier) to farm out the PE artwork to them as they are all set up to do it and do it correctly. I know that Eduard does the PE for Zouki Mura even though you can't buy it from Eduard.

That's because these are made by HGW.
Well, well, well... I took a closer look (at the instructions where it is clear and then on the microfabric) and lo and behold! It DOES say HGW on the lower left!

1636144427105.png

I also got in my AOA decals. A bit pricey at $20 for only one shark mouth scheme, BUT there are two sets of stencils!
s-l1600 (0).jpg
AOAlowlevelhell0000.jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600 (3).jpg
s-l1600 (5).jpg

@centaur567 if you want the D Troop 3rd Squadron 4th Cavalry markings, it is yours for the asking. ;)
s-l1600 (6).jpg

Regards,

Hey Jeff! Good to see you posting. How is the shoulder (IIRC?) doing? I also picked up a Sherman during the SB RFM sale. Maybe we can do a Sherman build together.
The pup looks like a keeper

Jeff, great to see you posting again. What a beautiful pup you have too! Way to go!

Great scores everyone! Here's what I acquired over the past couple weeks.

First of all, my IPMS club president came by a Hobby Day and brought in some models he had gotten from a widow. She had seen our website and contacted him to arrange pick up of all her husband's models, supplies and kits. He brought by the ones he thought I'd like the most. These are what I got:

Dragon LCM (3) Landing Craft:

full

Matchbox Fairey Seafox:

full

Italeri Italian Br-20 Cicogna:

full

And finally, this set from the 1990's, Revell's Aircraft of Desert Storm:

full

Later on, one of my gaming friends had gone with several fellow gamers he knew to the house of a friend of his who'd passed away. He managed to get a number of ship kits among other things that he brought into the next Hobby Day to see if anyone was interested in buying any. I took a look at what he had. Among them were a couple of Revell Emden kits, one of which was opened. The one I wanted was the 1/72 scale Schnellboot. My friend Lon wanted an Emden built for himself so he offered the S-100 Schnellboot as payment for me building him one of the Emdens. I got the second Emden for a friend of mine who'd lost his.

Here is the S-100 Schnellboot he gave me:

full

That's all I have. Now to go post updates in the Manufacturing plant...

Hey Jeff! Good to see you posting. How is the shoulder (IIRC?) doing? I also picked up a Sherman during the SB RFM sale. Maybe we can do a Sherman build together.
The pup looks like a keeper

Shoulder is coming along not as fast as I want. I'm always up for a Sherman build.

Back