• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Large Custom Millennium Falcon (new pics )

Large Custom Millennium Falcon (Shipment #5)

Cool stuff. I was thinking about your buttons there and wondered if you had considered some surface mount resistors? Inexpensive and uniform size. Some are even coloured. An example.

511-300x190.jpg

James

Large Custom Millennium Falcon (Shipment #5)

I am in cpmplete awe at your techniques and skillsets, Paul! Your sheer determination is most admirable as well. This is a truly fascinating and inspiring build thread- cheers!

Your praise is much appreciated Chuck as it is your work to a great extent that inspires me to keep pushing the envelope. The only thing that seems to hold me back anymore is a lack of imagination (which isn't lacking thanks to most everyone on MA). :notworthy

James that is a great idea! Unfortunately the bottons have to be clear or at least translucent as they light up. Also they are .030" square (.77 mm) and only about .005" to .007" thick (.12 - .18 mm). Little tiny shhtuff. ;)

I found that I needed to make some little tools to make them more accurate than a gnat's fuzzy little behind.

Up next I got some of the Uschi brass blackening agent and will blacken one of the side panels and attach buttons over the button holes to check how it looks and works. More experimenting. When I figure out how to get the results I want, I will clean that panel off, make the decals and assemble the rear bulkhead.

Again, everyone, thanks for looking in I always appreciate your comments and critiques. :notworthy

Large Custom Millennium Falcon

Wow, that's just fantastic detail work. I'm looking forward to seeing how you add the buttons to the wall.

Love watching you think out loud Paul. Great work, here's some more inspiration. :drink

I always look forward to your updates your work is insanely awesome, I'm still love all the tools u have :drool I still like that drill press with variable speed u have , I've manage to get one and I'm building the variable speed drive part my self lol

I got shipment 6 in about a week ago. Checked it out and just more parts for me to build on later.

Here are the pics.

Falcon-Basic-106.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-107.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-108.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-109.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-110.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-111.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-112.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-113.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-114.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-115.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-116.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-117.jpg~original

Taking a little break to work on something a bit less intense for a bit, but do't worry more in the wings soon.

It has been a while since I have posted on this thread. Took a break and worked on some other kits for some group builds. At this point I will have to either get my old computer hooked back up so I can use the printer or get a new printer. I need to print some decals out and the old printer has no drivers for Win8.1 :bang head Still works great, just won't work with the new machine. (UGH!)

In any case I have 2 shipments to cover this go round. I received shipment #7 back in the beginning of December but was busy with a number of things so just set it aside. Got #8 on monday so it was time to update this beast. I will need 2 more shipments (through Issue #40) in order to assemble the lower part of the hull on this beast. For now everything is fitting into 3 boxes.

On with the next basic installment.

Falcon-Basic-118.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-119.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-120.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-121.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-122.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-123.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-124.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-125.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-126.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-127.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-128.jpg~original

To be continued....

Here is the continuation.

Falcon-Basic-129.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-130.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-131.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-132.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-133.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-134.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-135.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-136.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-137.jpg~original

Tempted to start assembling the lower frame, but I know it will be somewhat wobbly until all the parts are assembled. Besides I also will be looking into how the hold and corridors mount down and how they fit. There are a number of things that seem wonky and I want to make the interior as reasonably close to the movie sets as possible. Lots of work there.
I also still have to get the cockpit all the way up to snuff. I am content with how the rear bulkhead looks and fits, now to get some time set aside to lay out the panels and all for the sides. There have been some new photos in the magazines that come with the Falcon that help a lot but there will still be more hard work to do.

Thanks for checking in! :Hiay

I received a new shipment this last week and it is getting interesting with the parts. I have several medium sized boxes now full of zinc castings, hull parts and lots of other bits. I am held back a bit at the moment for 2 reasons, one, my printer is an antique and there are no Win8.1 or Win64bit drivers for it, and I am wired into my Arizona build.

Lacking a printer is being a real pain at the moment. If I had the power supply for my old Viewsonic monitor I would just set up a network and use the old 'puter to print with the old printer. I have an extra mouse and keyboard. Alas, I suspect the old monitor which was in great shape when I gave it to my daughter and her ex wasn't treated all that well so it might not be worth messing with. Would rather not go and buy another monitor at the moment though.

Here is the latest batch of parts and some thoughts on some extreme mods.

Falcon-Basic-138.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-139.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-140.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-141.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-142.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-143.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-144.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-145.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-146.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-147.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-148.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-149a.jpg~original

While I am not actually doing much in the way of building on this at the moment, I am doing a lot of conceptualizing in my head. It should be interesting what I end up with.

That would be neat, you know you do that you'll have the make the loading ramp movable. :popcorn

That would be neat, you know you do that you'll have the make the loading ramp movable. :popcorn

Loding ramp is already motorised. I just don't have those parts yet. One of the British builders just finally got the electronics controller for the model in issue 57. It actually goes up and down fairly slowly as compared to the first video of it that DeAg posted a long time ago.

Biggest problem with the ranp is that it is pretty ugly if you look up the hole. Again waiting on parts in order to start figuring out how to mod it.

Have been visiting with another modeller in NC that has done a lot of Star Wars builds and is now doing a bunch of 3D printing on Shapeways of stuff for the Falcon.

Am about half and half on bumping the orders for the next 2 shipments up to get on this thing a little bit. There a bunch of little red lights (LRLs) that need to be added on a number of bottom parts as well as some openings for lights and flood lights all over the bottom. Have drawings for the floodlights and photos for the LRLs.

Oh and another thing, I want to add the corridor at the top of the ramp AND add the inner hatch closing when the ramp is going up and vicey versa.
Might end up doing some 3d modelling yet and stuff on Shapeways.

This same box is on its way to me. I'm excited to finally have the complete bottom frame, as I've just been collecting the parts thus far.

I was looking at the flaps too. I was thinking of having them all move together, with the actuators up top just being tubing that slides in and out and looks like they're moving it. I was thinking one movement for the top and one for the bottom rather than individual motions for each flap.

I would love to figure out how to make the internal door slide down. I'm curious to see what kind of mechanism you rig for that. Making curved rails for it to slide/rotate down isn't too bad, but the motor aspects could get really complicated with gears or pulleys.

For now, I'm getting my skills improved on other kits. I'm doing the Bandai AT-ST right now, which is close to the Falcon scale (1/48). I also have a TIE, X-Wing and Snow Speeder at that scale to play with.

Yeah Dan, Issue #37 (in shipment 10) has the last 2 bottom frame parts for the build. I am glad to say that they are shrinking the shipping boxes a little so that the parts don't rattle bang around so bad. Big improvement DeAgostini!

After looking over the parts on the back end I believe I have a concept for what I might do for the engines and all. Again I will need a whole bunch more of the kit before anything can really be dreamed up.

Back