• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

KI-27 Nate

phantom II

Master at Arms
As I was rummaging through the kits last week I came across this old Hasegawa kit :) .

I have meant to build it more than once and even started once before.

Hasegawa_Nate.jpg

The empty threats are over . Time to glue some stuff :eek:hyeah

KI-27_partsa.jpg

I had actually tried to scribe it a few years ago but gave up due to inexperience and lack of proper tools.

It's scribed now .

Even though it is a Hasegawa kit it suffers some issues.

KI-27_legs_a.jpg

More pictures coming this evening . Cheers, Christian B)

I built the original 'Mania' boxing that I got from a guy on eBay. The moulding was perfect, no flaws whatsoever. Still have it around somewhere.

h6a15538.jpg

h98474dc.jpg

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this one, Chris.

Ian.

I built the original 'Mania' boxing that I got from a guy on eBay. The moulding was perfect, no flaws whatsoever. Still have it around somewhere.

h6a15538.jpg

h98474dc.jpg

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this one, Chris.

Ian.

Mania was really a forerunner for making quality kits . Hasegawa baugh several molds from them.

I sure with they would have stayed afloat . No telling what they would be capable of now days .

Some very colorful marking for this bird . It would be easy to build an entire fleet of them.

Cheers, Christian B)

The KI-27 was the JAAF 's contemporary fighter to the JNAF's A-5M and had similar performances .

They were used with success in China until were outperformed by the Russian I-16 ( likely my next build ) and latter the Curtiss P-40.
They were then relegated to training duties . Two still survive .

I was surprised to find this cockpit color during my research . Not something I have seen before :coolio

tachki2706_28129.jpg

So, some Eduard PE and dark blue gray paint.

KI-27_interior_001a.jpg

Followed by some dry brushing with medium blue and more PE.

KI-27_interior_004a.jpg

Some detail paint :soldier

KI-27_interior_again_001a.jpg

KI-27_interior_again_002a.jpg

In my opinion , the interior detailing is too blue but when it's close up it will appear to be much darker.

A seat .

KI-27_interior_002a.jpg

Sorry for the dark pictures . Seems that some of the recent bad picture carma has rubbed off on me.

I added shims under the landing gear as it appeared to go in there too deep . Replaced the right flap that I damaged ( my fault )

KI-27_interior_003a.jpg

Followed by a scab patch to repair a cracked wing . It seems both thin and a bit brittle .

KI-27_wings_001a.jpg

Now, I'll see if I can jam these thing together :fencing

Cheers, Christian B)

Rock on. :ro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFRbZJXjWIA

:drinks

By the way, just thought I'd take off my cape and hat for a while and show off my new DO . Seems so many people are doing that or just changing their Avatar.... Can't do much with my real hair :rotf

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks Bob , Mike , Gator for following along .

Had a bit of time last night to fool with this . Unfortunately, the happy union between the wing and the Fuselage was not completely happy :(

Nate_flaps_001a.jpg

The front fuselage joint had to be filled with some stretched sprue while the rear wind to fuselage sat quite low even though the upper wing fit the fuselage well :bang head

Had to get a bit creative now I need to let everything dry before going further.

Cheers, Christian B)

:popcorn

You're costing me hours of surfing Japanese shops looking at all the great Fujimi 1/72 subjects. Now I have to add Hasegawa to the mix?

Pauls, Jills, Nates, Jethros, where does it end? I'm really starting to develop an interest in the float planes.

:popcorn

You're costing me hours of surfing Japanese shops looking at all the great Fujimi 1/72 subjects. Now I have to add Hasegawa to the mix?

Pauls, Jills, Nates, Jethros, where does it end? I'm really starting to develop an interest in the float planes.

So soddy grasshopper ...... I think my next build will be a Rata . Got a fur hat ?

Probably would be wise not to ask such a question . The Japanese airplane trail is long .

This is the end of the Hasegawa floatie trail. H6K Mavis

H6K_Mavis.JPG

H8K Emily

HK-8.JPG

and I am leaving out a little know one A twin ) by Fujimi .

For me, the end of the trail is this one .

The last Kawasaki built fighter . Very limited production

KI-61_bubble_top.JPG

So far, I'm still nervous bringing it out of the box .

If you follow my example, you will certainly go off the rails :rotf :rotf :rotf

A thousand pardons :tomato

Cheers, Christian B)

Yikes.

Must resist. :sick:

It might be a phase for me, but there's something very attractive about these kits, especially in the $8-12 range with shipping from Japan not much more than what small shops charge in the US.

Of course I haven't built the Claude yet, so I have no idea on how I'll like them.

I agree on the Japanese shops and It has been a pleasure doing business with them so far.

Of course the majority of what you see her was bought long ago .

The two floaters go back a long way . Definitely old technology but still the only examples of these birds in 1/72 .

Should you find some old Mania birds don't be afraid of the brand . All their stuff was very good for that time frame . Way better that Hasegawa of same period.

Cheers, Christian. B)

Back