• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Kawanishi N1K1 JA

phantom II

Master at Arms
New work has begun, the panels are scribed and the stray lines corrected and polished.

Pictures tomorrow !

Cheers, Christian B)

Radio. :laugh:

testpattern.gif

:drinks

Well folks it is tomorrow.

Still have not had time to build any more but here's the rest of the intro.

The Kawanishi N1K1-JA Shiden . or Violet lightning .

shiden_001a.jpg

Strangely enough it was developed from a float plane . The Kiofu .

I will be using this book for references for this build.

Shiden_002a.jpg

Hope to get some modeling time latter so there might be some progress today.

Cheers, Christian B)

She's a chunky looking bird, will be interesting to see built up. Did you say this would be an early paint scheme? Not really up on Japanese a/c.
James

Hi James, they did not arrive on the scene until 1943 so my choices are limited to green/silver or green/gray . At least I have no pictures of anything different.

I think I would have used sturdy or substantial :rotf Kind of like the P-47.

Reportedly their best all around fighter.

Cheers, Christian B)

my choices are limited to green/silver or green/gray . At least I have no pictures of anything different.

Gate guardians and captured examples... but I am confused by which version they are (I do have a few books as I built a Hasegawa 48th scale kit for a commission).

This one is identified as a N1K1-Ja
N1K-38.jpg

Captured example
Captured_Kawanishi_N1K1-J_on_ground_1945.jpeg

Gate guardian (perfect for that campaign by the way)
N1K1J.jpg

Restoration work at NASM's Silver Spring work shop
7585501692_ba88e46c76_o.jpg

Regards,

Actually not so hard to pick out the N1K1 had the mid mounted wing and the N1K2 had the lower mounted wings.

Other than that most Japanese fighters look similar .

Worse than that the Navy had almost no variation. The colorful paint jobs were Army

Thanks for the pixs , I have not seen those before. Most of the ones I have seen were pretty used up airframes, so I think I can scrape the boredom off of it.

Cheers, Christian B)

Or George if you prefer. I find it confusing between the allied code names, the Japanese names and the actual meaning translated.

I'm finally back with some updates.

I spent most of yesterday building the stock cockpit ( no pix )

interior_2_004a.jpg

interior_2_003a.jpg

Just to realize this morning that I have a colored PE set for this bird :bang head

So, out came the sharp instruments to remove the excess plastic and instal the new and improved stuff :sick: Not the best way to do this !

Here is a shot of the instrument panel with the pieces drying while I post the pix.

Instruments_001a.jpg

I can't help but wonder why nobody at Eduards has never tried to instal the painted seat belts in a kit.

Nice looking but I know no way of bending them without the paint coming right off. I repainted them in place.

interior_2_002a.jpg

That said, I hope the cockpit still fits inside the fuselage . :snoopy

Hope you like it. Comments welcome.

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks Erick . Mike you can uncross your toes, it fit fine. :)

Here's a couple of earlier pix that were hiding in my files.

Cockpit before the dashboard instal .

cockpit_002a%7E0.jpg

Abetter shot of the Instrument panel . Good job Eduard !

cockpit_003a%7E0.jpg

To bore you a bit more, the assemble cockpit. Quite a few tiny gadgets.

glue_001a.jpg

and just for you Mike the assembled fuselage and wings . Look at the seams, no filler required .

glue_002a.jpg

Thanks for looking, comments are welcomed. Cheers, Christian B)

Back