• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

PT-17

jknaus

Administrator
I managed to get some modeling in today. I've been waiting for seat belts for this PT-17 and for the Yak-9. Well the belts came for the Yak but it seems I deleted the belts for the PT-17. So I thought about making some up but just could not get the hands working right so said enough. So this a/c has no seat belts but I'm not too concerned. It will look good in the cabinet and no one will notice anyways. Just waiting for the glue to dry and tomorrow I can start cleaning any joins and prep it for the guy wires and add the tail planes and work on the engine more. So some drilling and cleaning to come up.I really like how the 3D wheels came out and the engine. I am trying to decide if I should just use the kit pushrods or make new ones from brass. Its a bit fidly to make and no guaranteed to come out very nice. Will think about it. Got some paint in today along with a 1/32 B-24J and a B-25H and a couple of books. I know the B-24 is big but WOW is it ever big.
20230818_142428.jpg
20230818_142431.jpg
20230818_142442.jpg
20230818_142501.jpg

James

Oh My! Looking good James!

So you took the bite for the BIG B-24J as well my friend. Yes, it is huge! I have one, but am going to sit on it for a while as I have too many "in process" builds that need to see the finish line first.

Tyres not yellow, not sure why it looked like that in the pic. Hope to get back to it today but got to keep an eye on the sump pump first, started flooding yesterday but caught it pretty fast.
I decided when the B-17 and B-24 came out I would not buy them as they were so big and had nowhere to put them. Momentary insanity moment caused me to get the B-24 and I know it is big, but when it arrived yesterday I was blown away by HOW BIG it is. OMG but where do I put the thing.
James

Well I'm kind of regretting my paint flow plan. I should have started with the yellow wings I think as it would be easier to mask them then the blue fuselage. Oh well live and learn. Interior is Zinc Chromate Green and buff for the cloth areas. The blue is Tamiya X-4 Blue and XF-4 Flat Blue mixed 50/50 with some Mr Leveling Thinner. Came out nicely I think.
One thing to be aware of if you are building this kit. The instrument panel decal isnt one piece as I thought, but individual instruments. The front panel decals all kind of mixed together so I was trying to guess which instrument went where by looking at the second panel. They fit beautifully, although I kind of wish they had been individually numbered to make it easier. Still I am very impressed at the clarity and quality pf the decals. Once one and dried they had future added to simulate the glass. I kind of thought about making a map case decal but figured it would be a waste to use a sheet for just one decal. I cant wait to see the yellow go on. In the past I have found Tamiya white, red, and yellow gloss does not cover very well. I found though that if I painted the item in the corresponding flat colour first then sprayed in the gloss colour it came out so much better. So for that reason I wont mix the flat and gloss yellow but instead will paint the flat and then the yellow. Getting excited to see this done and what it will look like.
20230820_205102.jpg
20230820_205217.jpg
20230820_205245.jpg

James

Start with the light colours then go dark so white base, then yellow, then blue etc.
Its looking good James, not a subject we see over here very much. :)

Well a little miffed. Despite being cocooned in tape the yellow managed to spray through in a couple of spots. Of course did this while suffering a headache and a pain day, but still a bit miffed. A recoat of blue will fix no problem. I skipped my usual step of flat then gloss as the blue worked so well and instead mixed the yellows together. Then I added a few drops of orange paint. It sprayed nicely and covered well so I am happy with that. No way of holding top wing and painting it all so half is down. Getting closer.
20230824_083500.jpg
20230824_083514.jpg

Next up is the tail. That will be fun masking the stripes, but should look better than deals I hope.
James

I just bought the new Devastator in order to do a "Yellow Wing" aircraft.
Glad you can easily fix this problem James.

Step by step, a bit more done. Blue paint fixed, top wing finished, tail fixed and then promptly buggered up. Thats okay though as I forgot to paint the tip of the rudder thinking it was just blue red and white. So tomorrow fix that and work on engine. Maybe decals also if I am lucky. I want to get it done so I can get into my TBD-1. Oh and wheels on.
20230826_165243.jpg
20230826_165249.jpg
20230826_165303.jpg

James

Oh and almost forgot. Found a file for an aircraft jig and printed it out on the Neptune 3Pro and while I'm not thrilled with it, it is pretty handy. The Stearman is sitting on it in this pic.

A bit disappointing, got most of the rest of the decals on and working on the rudder. Got the prop painted and realized I needed to make a prop shaft, so did that. Then started knocking stuff off so have put it aside for now. Really losing interest and want to get started on the TBD-1. Have also got some wheels, brass landing gear, brass Mg barrels and PE for the Liberator ordered. Have also ordered some Mk VIII depth charges to fill the belly. Need to find out if all the RCAF 10 BR Sqn Libs had bomb bay fuel tanks and where they were put, front or back bomb bay. Getting really excited to do this big bird.
James

Looking great. I'm going to be starting the Revell 1/48th kit soon. I think on the B-24 fuel tanks, they were in the rear bombay. Gary S.

Back