• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Junkers Ju87D "Stuka" 1/32

Looking terrific Mats - so how are you feeling about the cross over to aircraft? I did it about 6 years ago and did not go back to armour until about 18 months back, now it's great because i'm confortable with both and love doing both.

Trying to figure out the best way of building, with tanks you can build the whole thing and then paint, but that´s not going with planes :)
Having a couple of ju88s and a messerschmidt to make so i will jump between planes and armor, also have a lot of figure kits that i must dig in to.... :)
//Mats

Trying to figure out the best way of building, with tanks you can build the whole thing and then paint, but that´s not going with planes :)
Having a couple of ju88s and a messerschmidt to make so i will jump between planes and armor, also have a lot of figure kits that i must dig in to.... :)
//Mats

You just summed up my feelings exactly.

I'm starting to realize cockpit painting is an art form in itself. Yours looks fine, I just finished my IL-2 cockpit and it looks like it was assembled by howler monkeys.

yes it's something different than tanks, and if you mess up you can't hide it under stowage or a tarp either! :bang head

Looking so forward to paint the transparent parts.... all those small frames :bang head :bang head :bang head
//Mats

So here is the results! :hmmm
the panel is ok but (i think it´s the radio) the decals in the back seat area was a pita, the arrow molded in the plastic doesn´t correspond to the one on the decal so it looks strange, wish i had sanded it down before i installed it :facepalm

It's the little things you learn as you go about building and painting aircraft components, look really unless the viewer has 20/20 vision or looking at a close up photo, or carries a magnifying glass in their back pocket!! just to pick faults! I personally wouldn't fret about the decal looking a bit strange, or some minor faults, sometimes joins or parts just can't be worked anymore, and I have had some of those, also plenty of times I also hadn't sanded down the IP before placing the deal and no one picked it !!!

Only I know my small mistakes - :yipee

As for you mad armor guys building the kit then painting it - that still makes me scratch my head and think - how the XXXX!

I still build my (limited) armor like an aircraft.

As for how an aircraft should look, well, This is from the Reich's RLM !!

Luftwaffepaintwork1.jpg~original

Read the text on photo 330
Luftwaffepaintwork2.jpg~original

"Speed in the air more important than concealment on the ground"

True, some aircraft were knocked around, but this evidence does support the clean look builds that alot of judges take offense to, with the usual comments of ''not dirty enough'' :bang head

And gives the builder more scope to work with!

Best tip I can offer for building aircraft is go through some of the aircraft builders posts and work with what you feel comfortable with.

I only paint IP and detail panels with Humbrol enamels, cause I can push the paint around where needed and you can take your time - it won't dry out on the brush like acrylics do. If the brush starts to stiffen up with the enamels, simply clean it off in turps and resume.

Just remember, if you are happy with your result - that's all that matters!

Great work, I like what you are doing! (y)

Thanks i do my best :) and it's nice to do something different now and then.

Not to concearned about if the colour is all correct i just build it for fun, if i go to much in to details i know i'm not gonna get it done (much easier before we had all the info from internet on how it should be :) )

Right now i'm jumping between my gate guardian T-34 and this build so have patience with me :)
Just cleaned up my desk so i can get something at all done :good:
//Mats

Finally managed to make the mold and do 3 castings for the propeller, they are casted in clear polyerster.

P1150428.JPG

P1150427.JPG

Need to clean up the 2 last ones and glue them to the center and then try to give them some colour, thinking of doing a clear smoke on them (not everything just where you see the propellerblade and fading it out.

Stay tuned to see how it turns out :idonno

//Mats

Looking very good //Mats!

If you are finishing your Ju 87 as an aircraft flown on the Eastern front in the latter half of the war the paintwork would not be very glossy at all.
Even though Luftwaffe paints were semi-gloss when new they would become dull at the frontline just as quick as any other paint would, unlike fighter aircraft waxing and polishing a Ju 87 to get an extra 5 mph would not make much difference to its survival if it encountered enemy fighters because it was so slow to begin with. Since the Ju 87 performed its missions at lower altitudes a dull non-reflective finish would actually help with crew survival more than a wax job, if you were piloting a Ju 87 and were spotted by Russian fighters you were in trouble! :eek:hmy:

Someone posted some Luftwaffe regs regarding caring for aircraft paintwork and if you read the dates of the regulations in the article they are either pre-war or early war dates so that would not really apply to your Stuka.
From the mid-point of the war onward the practice of waxing aircraft to get more speed was on the decline in the Luftwaffe except for special aircraft like the Me 163, the notion of Luftwaffe ground crew following to the letter the pre and early war regulations on protecting paint finishes later in the war is downright laughable. :rotf

Matrixone

Very interesting Mats, let see what they look like with some paint onthem. What do you have planned?

Will try with some dilluted tamiya clear smoke and see what it will look like....hopefully not like crap!

I have seen those photo etched spinnin props but i wanted something more transparent so this is what i came up with :) well something noone else got :D

Back