• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Italeri Bugatti 1/12 FINISHED

Not unusual, but I didn't understand a single thing yous guys was talking about with knobs and timing and whatnot! I just like the pretty pictures LOL. And they are fantastic!

I wasn't sure that Mig chipping fluid would work with MRP paint as it needs water to soak through it but it works fine.
:)
View attachment 164855

I have now started on the engine bulkhead, its pretty plain so what there is needs to be quite good so i am currently making some copper pipe work. The kit gives you copper wire but its too soft and its hard to get a straight run. I am using 1mm copper tube.

View attachment 164856
Do you anneal the pipe to bend it? I have just learned how to do that. There are some springs from Micro Mark I want to get to make bending smoother. So many tools and techniques, so little time!

Do you anneal the pipe to bend it? I have just learned how to do that. There are some springs from Micro Mark I want to get to make bending smoother. So many tools and techniques, so little time!
I usually anneal anything that needs some complex bends and is fairly stiff. Bending tubing can be a bit of a challenge.

Actually i haven't found the need to anneal. This might be that Albion alloys brass and copper has reasonable wall thickness for the dia. I also use round nose pliers so the bend is supported as this helps

974e59edd197c3033c7a53fed32a0b4f.jpg

annealing will soften the brass/copper and stop it "snapping" however its not going to stop it deforming in fact it might encourage it.
Remember there is brass that that will snap if you bend it even 20 degrees and there is brass that you can tie knots in..:) its an alloy of copper and zinc so it can be whatever you make it.

_DSC8375.JPG

also worth mentioning this is 1mm tube, you couldn't do this with thin wall tube above 2mm.

Last edited:
This process reminds me a bit of those guys that can cut your silhouette in to a black bit of card while looking at you side on.
This 1mm brass tube, its rigid which you don't get from the supplied brass wire, down side is you don't get a second chance once bent so after several attempts this what i have

_DSC8388.JPG

I have some 1mm brass nuts which make for good fittings on the end. Not sure why this was brass when all other pipe work is Copper but thats how they were.

_DSC8389.JPG

It fits !!!! :cool:

Something to ponder while i deal with the insides

The outside panels are made up of several parts. the problem is they are lock wired like this ( along the join from side to under tray

5179321740_afa680221e_o (1).jpg

My problem is this needs to be done after assembly and painting and you cant fit the parts together and then fit to the chassis

_DSC8398.JPG

one option might be to wire the parts separately for example this picture seems to show the panels wired but not laced together

bugatti-type-35-nathanael-greene-title.jpg

You can just see here there is a wire for the top row and a separate for the bottom row

bugatti-type-35-nathanael-greene-title.JPG

Oh it's safety wired. Didn't you do this on another build? Feels like you need to shave off what you got, get something more pronounced to replace them then get some really small gauge wire to just wrap around each head and string it along.
My oversimplistic view on it. 🍿

One source for some really fine silver wire is to take some 22 gauge wire, strip the insulation and unravel the strands. I found even finer wire by taking an old iphone charging cable that broke and was not useable any more and stripped it down. My buddy donated it to me and it has even finer wire.
You could take a thin worn razor blade, put a fine cross cut on the edge to make it into a bit of a super fine saw blade and cut slots in the bolt heads before painting. Then run the wire through the slots and add a touch of thick CA to the slot and touch up with paint. Only a suggestion as I don't really know how proud the bolts are on the kit.

Panic

looked everywhere and i have lost the Bugatti badge for the Rad.

I remember putting the decal on the PE backing disc a week ago and placing on the bench to dry and .......

_DSC8406.JPG

i tried printing one but i cant get anywhere near the resolution i need on a decal 4mm wide.

Back