• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Iron Mike's Jagdpanther

Good Sunday Morning to all! Came into the modeling den, fired up the computer and found several messages alerting me to the fact that my stowage boxes should have raised beads, rather than indented! I noticed that yesterday as I built the parts, comparing them to the kit issues, but on I went (a little like General Custer, is that Garryowen I hear in the background??) I broke out the instructions and the pictures I took prior to starting the build and sure enough, there is no mention of adding a bead to the parts from Voyager Models! Guess they didn't count on anyone so green building one of their sets! :blush: Anyway, if you DO build one, if it's indented on the PE and RAISED on the kit part, add a bead with an old ballpoint pen, like this.

IMG_2536.jpg

IMG_2538.jpg

IMG_2539.jpg

I plan on damaging the fenders anyway so the deflection from the beading shouldn't be a problem (is that correct, Houston?)

So what am I gonna do with the boxes? Wait and see......

nice! Be happy you don't have the newer releases for the Panther from Voyager Models as they want Mission Impossible!

Regards,

I'll be sure to watch out for that one, Saul! Enough drama with this one! Using some .030 half round styrene, I made the replacement beads, rounding the ends with a file and gluing them to the PE with the magical 3M Quick Dry Adhesive. When the glue dries at little more, I'll clean up the excess and move on!

IMG_2540.jpg

IMG_2541.jpg

Many thanks to Jenny, Saul for pointing out the error and ChukW for the tip on the glue, works well, y'all! Hey Moon Puppy, watch 'is!

great save mike!

it's coming along very nicely! lovely kitten! (the tank! the tank! not the avatar! well that one also ... i mean ... errrr ... uuuuhm ... i'm offline now! :blush: )

Great save! This is a scratch-building tip from an old timer...

After the glue dries, carefully brush on some diluted putty along the joints where the rod touches the metal. This fills in and blends (after light sanding) both media to give the appearance of stamped metal. Since this technique may be new to you, try it on some scrap first as it can get messy.

Regards,

Thank you Laura and Saul! How does that saying go? Adapt and improvise? Anyway, did manage to stay focused today and get a little done (I'm sick of brass)

Mocked up for pix

IMG_2542.jpg

IMG_2543.jpg

IMG_2544.jpg

I haven't tried the liquid putty that Saul suggested yet, been bending, filing and fitting brass (I'm sick of brass). Roads thawed out some here today, hopefully back to work tomorrow, I plan to see if I can find some liquid flux so I can solder the front fenders. I am waiting to cut the kit fenders off until the PE parts are done and pronounced acceptable. Enough for tonight, I'm sick of brass, did I mention that? :woohoo:

See, I told you a snow day on the weekend is a wasted effort, but your effort here is tops! Well done Mike. I think this is what makes modeling forums great, the give and take like this to make a better model and modeler.

Hi Mike.

The back end of this beast is really looking good. And the storage boxes ended up looking just fine. And once they have a layer of paint on them, no one will ever know about how you did that on purpose so you could practice working with half round plastic rod ;) . And just give it time, and you will learn to love a big ole sheet of brass :laugh: .

Gary B)

Hey thanks, guys! You really made my day with the comments! I had dreams (nightmares) about itty bitty brass parts :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: and that the whole thing was gonna turn out like a '63 Rambler wagon! No progress today, but I appreciate the feedback and support! :notworthy

After several days of inactivity, I finally made it back to the bench yesterday. I worked on getting the kit parts fitting together, then added MORE brass. I managed to find several part numbers that were reversed n the instruction sheet, so it's always a good idea to dry fit first.

IMG_2562.jpg

I used as many of the Voyager brackets as practical, I did opt to keep the Dragon tool racks.

IMG_2557.jpg

The jack support block rack from Voyager proved to be too small for the kit supplied block, so I made one from a coffee stir stick (thank you, Barnes & Noble!) I cut the stick parts to length, then glued up two sections, sanded on the bevel and wrapped it in the brass straps.

IMG_2558.jpg

I used the kit gun cleaning rod case and added the brass chains and misc parts.

IMG_2560.jpg

IMG_2559.jpg

I still need to add a nut, bolt and stud here and there, but getting closer to paint.

IMG_2561.jpg

IMG_2554.jpg

IMG_2555.jpg

The turned aluminum barrel from Barrel Depot is a wonderful piece, it is well detailed and looks great! I've left it loose for the beginning paint stages. I did chicken out on the brass front fenders, they require solder and I need practice before going there. They will surface on a future project (maybe). I'm still planning to use the kit Magic Tracks and the hatches will be open, hopefully with a couple figures. Thanks for hanging with me! B)

Hi Mike.

So you see now that brass isn't that difficult once you start. Before you know it you are through to the other side, and you end up with a truly magnificent piece like you have here.

Honestly I always have a bit of heart ache when I get through all of the brass and scratch build work and have to paint it. But in the end it is all good, as there is really such a diffrence in a kit with a full set of brass, and one that is just plastic.

Keep it going, it's looking great.

Gary B)

Mike really good brass work!! This one is going to turn out good.

Terry B)

Thanks Johnny! Metal orgy, I like that one!

Gary, I appreciate the confidence! The brass parts DO look better than most of the plastic pieces, but it sure takes the time to get it right!

Terry, thank you, I'm ready to get this one done!

Now's not the time to get in a hurry troop,the make it or break it phase is about to start. :woohoo:

Tony Lee :)

Back