• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Iron Mike's Jagdpanther

Fantastic work, Mike. It looks great. One thing I might suggest is to color correct the photos. they are a bit dark. Email me and I can tell ya how I do it [if ya have photoshop]

Thanks, Dave, I appreciate your comments! Rob, I don't have Photoshop (yet), but would still value your tutorial! Bob, the hatch hasn't hatched yet. I can not find where I stashed it and the two fellows I thought might have a spare haven't come through yet :(
I may have to post a plea to the general population to finish this beast!

I still say Battle Damage...

Got a picture of it? I think you should start checking out Wantanbe-san's Brass Masterclasses and start turning to brass.

I think the only real way to do this now if someone can not help you out with a hatch to replace it, is to scratch build a quick basic hatch with the proper shape and size, and then install it and put a tarp or blanket, or some similar to cover what is underneath.

And then if your modelling luck is like mine, as soon as you finish painting the final bit of the tarp, you will find the hatch.

Gary

You are both correct, it would be an easy scratch build, but as Gary says, then the doggone part will show up! That's really why I haven't gotten too excited about finishing, I figure it will surface (someday). I could close the rear set and move the part to the commander's hatch, then cover the rear with a tarp, but since the missing part is where the figure stands, can't hide it easily.

The piece at the right of the picture, the brown one behind the periscopes, is the one that's MIA.

IMG_2777.jpg

I've made a bit of progress on the base, so I'll give it a couple more days before I get serious about the wayward part.

As was mentioned before, if you build it, you will find the missing part! I made a replacement hatch from two half circles of styrene and made the hinge too, but I just couldn't help wishing I could have the already painted kit piece. :( While uploading the pictures of my Semovente, I picked up the box of spare parts (I've pawed through this box at least twice previously!), lo and behold, there's my HATCH!!!!! :mpup :mpup :mpup :mpup Before it could get away again, I glued it in place, dropped the figure in on top (just to make double sure the damned thing doesn't get away again!) and went to snap some photos.

IMG_3280.jpg

IMG_3281.jpg

IMG_3282.jpg

IMG_3283.jpg

IMG_3284.jpg

IMG_3285.jpg

IMG_3286.jpg

IMG_3287.jpg

The figure is from Warrior, thanks again to James Moody for the painting lessons, I think I'm getting better at it. :laugh:
I have a base started for this beastie, maybe I'll find the motivation to finally bring this oddessey to a close. Comments and feedback always appreciated! (y)

You are too kind, Joey! Time to wrap this build up!! I have been working up the courage to build a base for the Jagdpanther, but have been reluctant to start. Well! I finally grabbed the keys to my woodshop and started making dust a few days ago. I started with a square of scrap MDF (medium density fiberboard), sketched the general layout of my road and glued a couple pieces of florist's foam (the green stuff) cut to shape on either side of the road for some shape to the ground. I covered the road with Galeria Acrylic Mediums Sand Texture Gel and when it began to set up, I used a spare set of tracks to make impressions in the gel. Sorry for the lack of progress pix, but I really had no idea if this was going to work!! :blink I then used plaster of paris to cover the "ground" and foam. I let this dry thoroughly, still gathering that resolve stuff! :blush: I had purchased a Landscape Learning Kit from Woodland Scenics, so following their instructions, I dove in! Here is the result

img_3334_20100805_1063584015.jpg

img_3335_20100805_1163498608.jpg

img_3332_20100805_1721254849.jpg

img_3331_20100805_1312226982.jpg

img_3333_20100805_1172001071.jpg

img_3325_20100805_1435146966.jpg

I am planning to add some taller sprigs of grass here and there and the wooden base is still in the works. That's not to mention the weathering of the tracks to match the dirt AND fixing her to the base for good! Stay tuned, I may finish her yet!! (y)

I"m glad you mentioned dusting the tracks to match, it's really looking good. One thing I would look at doing with the tracks on the ground is to try and define them where they can stand out a little more that the rest of the road. Think about the tracks we see in that red clay around here, the fresh clay will be brighter, churned up, while the rest will be dried up and faded out some. I think if you could color the tracks (in the ground, not the tracks on the tank)a little lighter they would really pop out from the road bed.

just my.02 like I've ever done one of these bases...

MIKE,

Looks Good !! I dig th Rain streaks & Weathering. I agree with MOONIE , adding some Pastels or Pigments to the Tracks on the Ground would really make it PoP & tie it in to the Base ! Of course some grime & Oil & Petro stains on the Engine deck would really set it off. Personally I like using Oil paint for this & the Color I like th best is called Sephia. It really captures the colorization of Oil & fuel ! Just my $.02 :cheer:

Good JOB !!

ERIK

Looks pretty good Mike! Don't be afraid to try new things everybody has to start out somewhere. Great job!

Terry B)

Re:Iron Mike's Jagdpanther DONE!

Hey, thanks guys! I just finished the base and added some weathering to the tracks and roadbed, I think I'm calling this puppy done! I'll take more pictures, but wanted to post up the quickie outdoor shots. I was considering adding some additional "nature" but I'm really ready to move on to something else. All comments welcome!

img_3403_20100811_1785597890.jpg

img_3404_20100811_1976770710.jpg

img_3401_20100811_1091081124.jpg

img_3400_20100811_1696225041.jpg

img_3399_20100811_1917087812.jpg

Re:Iron Mike's Jagdpanther DONE!

Really great photography,and the simple base is just right.The last shot is just right.

Back