• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Iron Mike's 15cm s.IG.33

Nice one Mike but dont forget the inside of that barrel mate but as far as the build and paint goes

Top marks Sir ! :D

Thank you to all for the kind words, they keep me going when stuff goes bad! While moving the piece around, my fat fingers knocked off one of the fender return springs to be swallowed by the carpet monster! Damn!

IMG_4493.JPG

Thankfully, Chris talked me into buying some .010 solder (guess he knew what was coming?)that is the correct size to make a replacement.

IMG_4492%7E0.JPG

I fastened a piece of brass wire in the old third and fourth hand, then wound the solder around the brass. Instant spring!

IMG_4495.JPG

IMG_4496.JPG

Going to have to touch up that exhaust!!! :bang head

I sprayed Future on the gun in preparation for the washes, will hopefully get this done by the end of the month!! (y)

Yeah,sure solder!...Great save!

As on the exhaust,...why not touch up with pigments,just give it a try Mike!
You did well with pigments on your STUG III. [I am hooked on the stuff]

Greetings,Ron.

Thank you, Ron! Actually, the touch up to which I refer is where the exhaust comes out of the hull. I missed a spot on the pipe. I plan to pigmentize the muffler and pipes, after I get the panels washed etc. I always manage to goof it up if I add them too early :laugh:

Nice detail Mike!! The camera always show what you missed. :pinch:

B)

Many thanks to all for the kind words, I appreciate them very much!! Time to get back on "track", time is drawing near! The Magic Tracks that come with the kit are well detailed, but very small! I decided to try a different approach to these, making two runs then painting, all at warp speed! :D
The instructions call for 99 links per side and after reading several reviews confirming this, I went with it. I always count out my links, putting them in a plastic cup, keeps me square during this mindless task. Good tunes and the Optivisor are a must for me! I place a run of blue tape sticky side up on my trusty track board, securing the ends with more tape. The regular blue 3M is just sticky enough to keep the links in line, but lets go when you need to get the tracks up.

IMG_4524.JPG

I made one run of 50 links and another at 49. After the assembly, I liberally apply Testors Liquid Cement to the run, waiting 15-20 minutes to let it set up. On this first set, I ran the tracks around the sprockets and idlers and let it set another 10 minutes. Removing the tracks from the vehicle, I brush painted the tracks with Panzer Aces Track Primer and set them aside to dry. In about 15 minutes, they were dry to the touch and I mounted them to the vehicle. On the other side, I did the same thing EXCEPT I painted the run before bending the links around the suspension. This proved to be easier, guess they were easier to paint flat? :idonno

Clearing that hurdle, I set the gun in place to test the location of the upper armor.

IMG_4526.JPG

IMG_4527.JPG

IMG_4528.JPG

IMG_4529.JPG

IMG_4530.JPG

It took a couple tries to figure out exactly where the gun needed to sit, but I finally figured it out and placed the armor.

IMG_4531.JPG

IMG_4532.JPG

IMG_4533.JPG

IMG_4535.JPG

IMG_4536.JPG

The dirt and grime are MIG and Vallejo pigments, washes and filters. I have a lot of little bits and pieces yet to go, hopefully I'll finish on time. Some of the references I have read say they carrying of spare wheels on the hull was done in Russia, call mine an ahead of it's time field modification. :D Comments, suggestions and corrections always welcome.

Looks real good Mike but the inside of the breech would not be painted but polished.
Take care of that before I disown you :gogo

Tony lee :)

Looks real good Mike but the inside of the breech would not be painted but polished.
Take care of that before I disown you :gogo

Tony lee :)
That might be a trick of the light, Tony. It's gunmetal inside there. :D

Looking great Mike, When I did the 88 I overdid the breach trying to compensate for the shadow. Can I get in the will Tony?

Hey Mike , I like it. Very mechanical...Not sure but Red/Green might have been involved in the engineering of this one but the outcome is quite interesting. Been waiting a while to see one assemble now.

Cheers, Christian B)

Back