• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

I'm going Japanese

I'm going for a wrap up on this.
I laid out the sandy beach then marked with tape where I thought the Defanged Dragon would sit.
1614482797449.png

Found a drill bit about the size of the tracks and chucked it up in the drill press. Raised the table up and started routing out the ruts the tank would sit in.
1614482878099.png

A little test fitting and i"m happy, I'll fill in the ruts with the sandy paste and it'll attach the tank to the base.
1614482901448.png

Now to paint the beach.
Started with yellow ocher but i think that's a mistake. I should have started out white for the bleached out sand.

1614482967303.png

So I started adding white to it.

1614482992708.png

It's just not looking right to me.

1614483020814.png

Really would like y'alls input. What direction you think i need to go here.

I don't know if I can be of much input because I've never tackled bases but the last image looks more "sand like" to me. Sand has so many hues to it that it could be many colours. I've seen sand from almost white to rust colour, to almost black. Do you still have your reference photos Bob? I think most of us think of sand being close to the "white" side of things so that's why I think the last image looks closer but maybe it is just the lighting in the picture.

I don't know if I can be of much input because I've never tackled bases but the last image looks more "sand like" to me. Sand has so many hues to it that it could be many colours. I've seen sand from almost white to rust colour, to almost black. Do you still have your reference photos Bob? I think most of us think of sand being close to the "white" side of things so that's why I think the last image looks closer but maybe it is just the lighting in the picture.
Thanks Warren,
3-19-2006-41.jpg

I'm not going for busted up coral look but i would like to get the bleached pacific sand. Looking at this now I shouldn't have used any browns, should have been layers of gray me thinks..:hmm:

I think its a good start. It doesn't need to be repainted just dry brushing with ever lighter shades until your last one it all white. Also Have more paint on the brush at the start then less and less until the last pass.

Here is a video to give some inspiration...

:victory:

I doubt I have Skrag Brown, (what RLM number would that be? :rotf ) I get the point, more blending and layers.

Thanks everyone. :notworthy

I like it! A little bit bigger base, maybe, would be the only comment I might make about such a thing. I would also wonder which Pacific Island you're depicting.

I like it! A little bit bigger base, maybe, would be the only comment I might make about such a thing. I would also wonder which Pacific Island you're depicting.
Well the photo above was made by my Dad on his way back from Korea when his Dad passed. He also took this as they approached.
3-19-2006-35.jpg

You can see the full slide show here. http://www.brittsbytes.com/Korea_1952/index.htm?0_L

Now I'm not 100% sure this is the island they landed at to refuel, could have been Wake, but the above island was called Marcus Island but know known as Minamitorishima. I've put a lot of thought in to this issue. Marcus island and Wake Islands are not in line with each other if you're flying from South Korea to anywhere in the US.

In typical Moon Puppy build fashion i ripped off what I had on the base. First it was latex and was a bit spongy to the feel, I saw a part that was already lifting from the base so I started pokin' at it and well, don't poke at things. I didn't like the color I had on it, just wasn't right.
I'm going to use the Vallejo Sand product I have on round two. It's already got some color in it and I'll work with it. I'll plant the tank tracks in as I work it also.
Stay tuned to Round Two.... 🥊

Back