• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

I'm going Japanese

I like it! Where did the mojo go?

Other than touching up the shiny spots on the track pins and making sure the road wheels are set on the tracks, you're good.

:good:

Peter, think I went overboard with effects yet didn't achieve what I wanted. Hard to tell paint from rust, no demark between the two.

Peter, think I went overboard with effects yet didn't achieve what I wanted. Hard to tell paint from rust, no demark between the two.

Well there Moonpuppy, I think you've done an excellent job of weathering that tank. It simply looks like it's been on the beach a fair bit longer than t he one in your inspirational image. As far as the lack of demarcation between the paint colours and the rust; I don't think there would be that much demarcation on any real vehicle that was a rusted as the one your model represents.

Artists are their own worse critics because so many times what they create doesn't match the vision they had when they started the project. that's why so many great works of art are never finished. It's also why artists and writers often have agents to pressure them into finishing something.

Like another poster said, dull down the shiny track pins and make sure the tracks sit right on the wheels. Then I think you'll have quite the masterpiece there.

You could add an old man and a boy and have the old fellow telling the boy about the battle all those years ago.

Cheers

Bob, I think you're justified as this already looks done. Dull down the track ins, check the roadwheels in the tracks and you're done. I truly cannot imagine what else you might do to improve this; it already looks perfect.

Have to say I really like this too Bob! From the pics, I think you did an awesome job! It really looks like a chunk of rusty iron that has been sitting around for a long time!

Hey there Bob, I have to agree with everyone in that this little gem looks pretty good. However I can understand your frustration when a project doesn't come out as you see it in your minds eye. Setting it aside for a bit is a good call, but don't give up on it. From my perspective a lite contrasting pin wash would really help the details pop and might even tone down the areas you're not satisfied with.

Hang in there Bro it still looking great! (y)

Thanks all, actually, I've been thinking of another top coat of color. Again, look at the original, looks like there's another layer on top of the original colors. Kinda like you see on a gate guard at an American Legion hall.

You're kind Abdin, I didn't get the effect I wanted. Not enough demark between the rust and the colors, seems to blend too much.
I have thought about adding another top coat of color, like someone had painted over the original camo with rust and all still intact.

I've picked this up again, restart with the base. What I'm going for is the sloping grade of the beach.
Using Liquitex Natural Sand effects over some cork board helping build up the slope.
1612747170543.png

It's pretty stinkin' thick so it might take a while for it to cure up. I tried to place the tank but it's just too wet yet. If you look back at the original photo there's a lot of sea debris on the beach, need to figure out how to do that.

Been a long slump but I'm kinda fired up to get back on this.

I find a period correct piece of music helps my builds. I heard this first in "Tora Tora Tora."
If you can let your Bwain go 80 years back and 14,000 miles away, the troubles of today can be forgotten, for a short time.
If not, Try Aerosmith!!

Back