• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

How I got sidetracked to major "Honey do" projects!

I'm with Gator. Not counting college which was 25 miles away, I've had 5 addresses in the last 74 years, and presently live 4 blocks from the hospital building both my wife and I were born in. 2 addresses since 1970. I did enough traveling when I was flying to satisfy myself.
I lived at four locations by the time I was four years old, one in Kansas City and three in Springfield, Mo. Then, at four years old, I moved in with my Grandmother and until I went in the army, we moved three times and then I ran off at age 16 to Atchison Kansas. That makes nine. Then, in the army, I was at Fort Leonard Wood, Fort Belvoir and Fort Dix. Then to Verdun France and later, Etain France. That makes 13. Then I lived in a rented house, an apartment and bought my first house in Springfield. That makes 16. Then I moved to St. Louis, rented an apartment In Jennings Mo. Then bought a house in The now famous Ferguson. went back to an apartment, then lived in Kansas City again. Then bought a house in Florissant, Mo. That makes 22. Then, we bought another house in Florissant. We maintained an apartment in Belgium. Then to a condo in Creve Coeur, Mo. Then, we had a house built in O'Fallon, Mo., lived in an apartment until it was finished, then bought a house in Lake St. Louis, then, bought a larger house in Lake St. Louis. That makes 28. Then, in 2001, we moved to Troy, Mo., a far suburb of St. Louis. Finally, a guy bought it and we moved back to our hometown, Springfield, MO., to be near our daughter and son-in-law. That makes a total of 31 addresses. At age 80, I can't imagine we will ever move again. If you are wondering, The 19 addresses I mentioned in the previous post are since Susan and I married in 1965.

Bob

Very few of my moves were by personal choice. Between the service, divorce, and school addresses I think 3 of the addresses were me actually wanting to move. I attended 4 Elementary, 2 Junior High, and one High School. Every couple of years I get the itch to move, but I am settled now and it goes away, quickly.

I have moved basically 12 times in my life. Twice as a kid, and then the other 10 starting after college and getting married the first time.

Lovely work Bob. Messy worker or not, the results are great.

As for moving ... yuck.....way too many times to even want to start counting, I'll just say 5 times over the past 9 years alone. The record (distance wise - almost 9,000 miles) is migrating to Australia with a suitcase and a piece of hand luggage on the plane. Almost 20 years on, needed a 9 ton truck to move our stuff from Canberra back to Sydney - 200 miles that is. The wife hasn't unpacked all her stuff yet, she said she was waiting for me to inform her that we would move again. The look on her face wasn't showing much love and understanding either.

Very few of my moves were by personal choice. Between the service, divorce, and school addresses I think 3 of the addresses were me actually wanting to move. I attended 4 Elementary, 2 Junior High, and one High School. Every couple of years I get the itch to move, but I am settled now and it goes away, quickly.
You ever notice barney, how things change in your later years? I sure as hell have! :)

Bob

I have moved basically 12 times in my life. Twice as a kid, and then the other 10 starting after college and getting married the first time.
Wow Paul, you have a hell of a lot of moves ahead of you! :)

When are you headed this way?

Bob

Last edited:
Lovely work Bob. Messy worker or not, the results are great.

As for moving ... yuck.....way too many times to even want to start counting, I'll just say 5 times over the past 9 years alone. The record (distance wise - almost 9,000 miles) is migrating to Australia with a suitcase and a piece of hand luggage on the plane. Almost 20 years on, needed a 9 ton truck to move our stuff from Canberra back to Sydney - 200 miles that is. The wife hasn't unpacked all her stuff yet, she said she was waiting for me to inform her that we would move again. The look on her face wasn't showing much love and understanding either.
You got me there Laurance. 9000 miles is one hell of a long way to move and especially with one suitcase! That would be an interesting story about that first year in a country you had never experienced! I can only imagine!

Well, I guess I can chime in here. Since being born, I've moved seven times while my father was in the Air Force. Our longest move was from New Jersey to Guam and then back from Guam to Virginia. Our last move in the Air Force was to Florida. After he retired, we all moved to Minnesota because that is where he got a job. Since then, I've moved five times. The last time was to a condo my brand new wife and I bought. We are still there 29 years later and given our financial situation, I don't see us ever moving again.

Well, we've got one more move coming up in October into our new house. Hopefully that will be the last move we have to make.

I've got a big move coming in the next few years that I'm not looking forward too. Going to be a cross-country move from Washington to somewhere out east (easy day drive to Eastern TN) in probably 4-5 years. I need to start paring down a bunch of extraneous crap I've acquired over the past 27 years.....

I've got a big move coming in the next few years that I'm not looking forward too. Going to be a cross-country move from Washington to somewhere out east (easy day drive to Eastern TN) in probably 4-5 years. I need to start paring down a bunch of extraneous crap I've acquired over the past 27 years.....

I just need to do that anyway, even though we aren't moving!

Well, I guess I can chime in here. Since being born, I've moved seven times while my father was in the Air Force. Our longest move was from New Jersey to Guam and then back from Guam to Virginia. Our last move in the Air Force was to Florida. After he retired, we all moved to Minnesota because that is where he got a job. Since then, I've moved five times. The last time was to a condo my brand new wife and I bought. We are still there 29 years later and given our financial situation, I don't see us ever moving again.
Well Mark,

This is it for us. I'll be living here when I take my final breath! The thought of moving again is not a fun thought!

Bob

Good Luck on that one!

Bob

That is a good rule.
It is Mark,
So far we have sold more than #3K and haven't even scratched the surface. $3K buys a lot of steak dinners, even these days!
:tens:

Well, that last post was June 25th. Shortly after that, I found myself in the hospital and some serious back surgery! Gee, isn't getting old fun!!! Anyway, I had the surgery, then a month of rehab at home, (They came to me), and then, after a consultation with the neurosurgeon, he ordered another round of physical therapy at a facility where they had better rehabilitation equipment and evaluation equipment as well. I go to a session tomorrow, another two the week after Christmas and I'm officially back to normal.

Anyway, since I was released from the hospital on August 7th, took a couple of weeks to begin walking. Then, slowly and easy, I started back on the redo of the house. I finished the rooms on the main level and I'm now working on the museum. In the two rooms I am posting photos, I have really changed everything. They look like totally different rooms. One I call my service room, meaning it is about my service in the army, the Naval reserve, at University and as a police officer. I have also moved my 5000 DVD movies to that room as well.

Here are some photos.

First, the room where my wife Susan and I work on our computers. This is my side of the room. We have matching desks on each side of a window looking out on the street in front. In our travels, I have framed the currency from most nations we have been just above the chair. Our computers are Macs, OS Catalina. That is my gaming chair Susan bought me. I don't game but, it looks kinda cool! :)

Bob Desk B.JPG

Then, here is Susan's desk. Her awards from her career at Ma bell on the walls surrounding her desk. The painting of me at a much younger age was by an artist from Rockford, Illinois. He painted me and Verlinden when we ran VLS. Both hung in the Miniature World museum the years it was open from 1990 to 2007. Directly above her desk, there is an artist's rendering of a Drive-in restaurant (Fisher's Hi-Boy Drive In), from the 1960s where we were engaged 56 years ago.

Susan desk A.JPG

In Between our desks, we have printers on a wi-fi network, a combo DVD/VHS player-recorder, a record turntable to play some of our antique 33 and 1/3rd record albums. A small TV to catch the news while we type away.

TV A.JPG

We also have six oak bookshelves; loaded with our favs, biographies, novels and research material. I have many, many more on model research on the shelves in my workshop downstairs. An exercise bike for Susan, I hop on it once in a while myself. The rooms have 12 foot ceilings

Book Wall B.JPG

Another angle. The framed panoramic photo above the door is of Verdun, France, where I spent three years from 1959 to 1962 in the Army.

Book Wall A.JPG

Susan has been collecting Elvis figures for decades. Some have been sculpted and painted for her by some names you would recognize.

Elvis A.JPG

Some more shelves of books.

Shelf End A.JPG

The movie poster from The U-571 is signed by Matthew McConaughey. VLS supplied some of the miniatures for that movie.

Shelf End B.JPG

And, There's the door! That's all for this room! The framed photos are of Sgt. Elvis Presley.
I took them in 1959 in Friedburg, Germany where he was stationed.
I walked by the motor pool and he was standing there talking to some other G.I.s so
I snapped away.

Plant A.JPG

Now to the Service room! Page three.

Last edited:
Back