• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

How about a OOB?

Interesting how I missed this. All I build is strictly OOB.

make one exception and I am in - adding brass barrels if the builder wants to - I loath kit plastic barrels on my builds!

unless the barrel is really bad and requires a AM barrel I'm 100% OOB.

Aren't they all!!!

either oval or some weird looking result after removing the usually horrid join line....... :bang head

I've never really had a problem with kit barrels being off on any of my small scale stuff. Besides, unless a kit comes with a metal barrel in the kit it ain't really OOB and would be contrary to the campaign. There are some kits that include them, so I would hope that this exception wouldn't happen. Then again, it is your Forums, and campaign, you can do what you want. I'm just waiting to see if and when this would start.

Mark, you sportin' all those campaign ribbons and you don't think it's your forum also?

I'll start a poll and see what happens.

Just OOB, no aftermarket what so ever? you could do some scratch building if needed to replace something faulty or missing but no aftermarket what so ever? Kit parts, kit decals, just as the manufacture intended.

No brass barrels unless it's just brass stock. No aftermarket what so ever. If you want to turn and shape your brass rod that's fine but no aftermarket.

I disagree...OOB should be just what's in the box. If there's broken or misshaped part,
you have to deal with it...there's plenty of extra plastic in the box.

Just my opinion,
Tom

Mark, you sportin' all those campaign ribbons and you don't think it's your forum also?

I'll start a poll and see what happens.

"...all those campaign ribbons...."??!!!

WHAT campaign ribbons?? :blink :blush:

Compared to most of you, I've got nothin'! :blush: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :notworthy :notworthy :D

...OOB should be just what's in the box. If there's broken or misshaped part,

Just my opinion,
Tom

That's always the way I understood it. It's also the only way I build about 99.9% of my models, as I mentioned before.

Cool, I'll watch for the poll. As for those who think they can't do it; I CHALLENGE you to come to MY World! :evil: :good: :D

I would have to agree that OOB means just that. If we make exceptions for one thing, where does it end? If a person hates rubber band tracks, do they get to use Fruils? If I've been sitting on an aircraft kit I bought at a show that came with yellowed decals (or a sheet that has been cannibalized) so I went and bought a new decal set for it, can I use those instead?

(Sorry,Phil)

No Fruils.

MY OOB suggestion allows some scratch building with basic materials. Plastic stock, Brass stock, string whatever. If you want to scratch build some tracks that's cool, have fun.

Decals...gotta think about that. Guess that would be allowed.

My point was more that making exceptions is a slippery slope. You can't say yes to one person and no to another. Just about anyone can find something in a kit that they don't like and want to replace it.

I am excluding the higher-end kits that already come loaded with goodies. Like this one I just ordered!

http://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/edu01179.htm

OOB should be just what's in the box. If there's broken or misshaped part,

Just my opinion,
Tom

I agree with Tom,

OOB should be whatever you can do with what's in the box, whether kit, sprue or the box itself.

Years ago on the original FSM I ran a one day, one model OOB contest. Build a 1/72 Tiger strictly OOB in 24 hours, starting midnight Saturday your time zone. There were 22 entries (if memory serves me right) across every continent but Antartca. It was a complete blast, with some very unique ideas. I remember one entry from Oz was a stolen Tiger up on blocks. ;)

OK you guys...keep it simple,keep it very simple. :rotf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=O9GqfSAVoQw

Greetings,Ron.

My point was more that making exceptions is a slippery slope. You can't say yes to one person and no to another. Just about anyone can find something in a kit that they don't like and want to replace it.

I am excluding the higher-end kits that already come loaded with goodies. Like this one I just ordered!

http://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/edu01179.htm

Not giving anyone exceptions so no slopes to go down. Like I said in my original suggestion, no aftermarket and if you have to rework a part do it on your own with the basic building materials.

Shalom.

A TRUE OOB sounds neat and would be great idea for people just getting into model building or for some of the younger denizens of the forum to be involved in.

In my opinion an OOB builds woyld be a model built with JUST the kit contents and no aftermarket or scratch built stuff at all. Cut apart and repositioned parts okay but not added parts that weren't in the original kit. otherwise it's not really an OOB build but a Modifed Kit Build.

A true OOB build would also be nice foranyone coming off a long hiatus too.

Just my opinion.

Cheers from Peter

Just my opinion,
Tom

I agree with Tom,

OOB should be whatever you can do with what's in the box, whether kit, sprue or the box itself.

Years ago on the original FSM I ran a one day, one model OOB contest. Build a 1/72 Tiger strictly OOB in 24 hours, starting midnight Saturday your time zone. There were 22 entries (if memory serves me right) across every continent but Antartca. It was a complete blast, with some very unique ideas. I remember one entry from Oz was a stolen Tiger up on blocks. ;)

If Luiz has to go back to Antarctica we'll have that void covered.

I like that idea, wonder if we can put it off over the Holidays?

Just my opinion,
Tom

I agree with Tom,

If Luiz has to go back to Antarctica we'll have that void covered.

I like that idea, wonder if we can put it off over the Holidays?

I'd love to do it. It was the most trafficed day on that forum's history. Since it dealt with time zones, there was a non stop progress photo surge and comments, there was a lot of participation, even for guys who weren't actually building.

I just searched (I haven't been on that forum since it changed format) and it's still there, here's a link to the results:

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/3/t/25249.aspx

For some reason, a result thread and proposal thread are there, but the actual build thread isn't. They list me as anonymous and my used name is no longer valid.

The key to the fun is picking one cheap kit and see what everyone can do with it. It's fun as everyone grips over the same instruction or fit issues. Roadwheels tripped up people since the Tiger has so many. ;)

Maybe an Airfix 1/72 Spit or something? The original idea was to get a company to donate 25 of the same kit, then distribute or even buy them wholesale myself, but postage and logistics to send them all over the world seemed too much and in the end easier to just to have participants grab whatever they could.

It really wasn't too bad to work out the build time itself. The midnight could be changed to a 9PM Saturday to 9PM Sunday (your local time of course) to fit in better with other weekend obligations.

I found the original, it was Start your Maybachs (Tiger engine), that's why the search wasn't working:

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/3/t/25181.aspx?sort=DESC&pi240=1

We have a tradition here, who ever suggest the Campaign is the Campaign moderator and head cheerleader. Jeff, it's a great idea and I think I know the kit I would do so..start up a poll on the suggestion and let's git'r done (y)

I would like to join this one but do have a question, the kit I would like use is a Tamiya 1/48 scale Fw 190F-9 and the decal sheet might not include the swastika, if that is the case could I use swastika decals from another source? The kit is still unopened in its original shrink wrapping and I would rather not tear it open just to look at the decal sheet.

Matrixone

During earlier discussion, we decided to use the rules from IPMS regarding OOB. You will be OK using a replacement decal. (y)

A. Kits. Any commercially available kit may be used. Any parts provided in the kit may be used, regardless of their material (i.e., brass, resin, plastic, etc.). Generally, only parts that are included with the kit and found in the bag or box may be used. As provided above, exemptions may be allowed but must be approved by the respective Head Judge in advance of the judging.
B. Finish. All finishing techniques are allowed. Decals other than those included with the kit may be used. Insignia, markings, and instrument panels may be hand-painted instead of decaled. Weathering is permitted.
C. Construction. The modeler may fill seams and gaps; sand off rivets; drill out gun ports, exhaust pipes, or other appropriate openings; thin to scale such parts as trailing edges, flaps, and doors; re-scribe panel lines lost in construction; and add rigging and antennas.
D. It is Not Permitted to: vacuum-form, manufacture, or replace any part, or substitute parts from another kit; cut or separate canopies, surfaces, hatches, doors, etc. (no major surgery); combine a standard kit with a conversion kit; add anything other than specified on the instruction sheet except as shown in Section C

Thanks Mike!

My entry will be true to the spirit of O.O.B. as much as possible. Building SFTB is beginning to be a lost art, its good to see a GB dedicated to it. :good:

Matrixone

Back