• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Hasegawa 1/72 F-86D *FINISHED*

Hasegawa 1/72 F-86D

Really neat! The Harness straps and the overall cockpit are just great!

Hasegawa 1/72 F-86D

Thanks for the comments guys! This build would be progressing faster if I hadn't plunged a scalpel into my left index finger earlier today (and I'd just installed a fresh #11 blade...) :sick:

Hasegawa 1/72 F-86D

Thanks for the comments guys! This build would be progressing faster if I hadn't plunged a scalpel into my left index finger earlier today (and I'd just installed a fresh #11 blade...) :sick:

At least it was clean..kinda. :blink

Get healed up quick, this is looking good. :popcorn

Hasegawa 1/72 F-86D

Thanks guys. Finger's sore, but after coating the slice with several applications of superglue, it's usable.
doh.gif

The instructions indicate 5g of nose-weight. I crammed the nose-cone with Liquid Gravity and a few drops of CA to hold it all in place.

1K_4105.jpg

And just to be absolutely sure I added a lead fishing weight above the intake. Fuselage halves were now ready to go together.

1K_4109.jpg

The fit wasn't as straightforward as I remembered from the last time I built this kit (which in fairness was about 20 years ago). I ended up with quite a step along the nose seam, possibly/probably my fault. The wings were also warped but nothing that a couple of bulldog clips couldn't straighten out.

1K_4111.jpg

There's a retractable rocket-pod under the forward fuselage. Those recessed circles are supposed to be holes. The part looks big here but in reality it's only 1.5cm across, so the circles were too small and shallow to paint black, and too close together to drill out.

1K_4104.jpg

So, I scanned the end plate into my computer, traced the circle pattern exactly and then printed it out as a decal (with a few spares as usual, [strike]in case[/strike] for when I screw up). At actual size the 'holes' looks fairly convincing.

1K_4114.jpg

Next up... filling, sanding, re-scribing lost panel lines. Still, it's not like I'm going anywhere; -24C in Calgary this morning, -30 with windchill.
cold.gif

Hasegawa 1/72 F-86D

Great update. I surely like making decals for those pesky holes (y) A very good option.

Good golly :sick: Stay inside and stay warm.... Exactly why I live in the South :coolio

Cheers, Christian B)

Hasegawa 1/72 F-86D

Very nice!

If it's not a trade secret, what kind of printer do you use for decals?

Hasegawa 1/72 F-86D

Thanks for checking in, guys :)

A little more progress. There's nasty seam in the tailpipe area which is really hard to fill and sand, so I made a styrene insert which is a bit neater I think.

1K_4116.jpg

And then it was on to the painting. The model got a light base coat of Tamiya white surface primer, then I sprayed Tamiya white on the areas that needed it – rudder, ailerons, and roundels.

1K_4119.jpg

I made and printed the decals on my ALPS-printer. Although it can print white, the ink cartridges are expensive and hard to find, plus it adds another layer of thickness to the decals, so wherever possible I try to paint the white backgrounds.

1K_4079.jpg

1K_4122.jpg

Undersides were sprayed with Tamiya AS-12, decanted from the rattle-can and airbrushed. Goes down beautifully and dries quickly (it's lacquer based), so it's my go to NMF finish. I may mask a few panels and spray Alclad to give some tonal variation but as it's on the undersides... maybe I won't bother
whistling.gif

1K_4121.jpg

Hasegawa 1/72 F-86D

Like that fix and the printer. I have an Xerox solid ink printer up in storage at work, $450 for a maintenance kit will get it in working order, just can't find a department at work that will pay it. :rotf

Hasegawa 1/72 F-86D

Thanks guys. I decided to mask off and spray a second shade (Alclad Duraluminum) just to create a bit of visual interest, not sure how much it shows up on screen:-

1K_4124.jpg

Hasegawa 1/72 F-86D

I'm constantly impressed with how clean your work is. What airbrush are you using?

I have to add after many years of hearing about the modeling equivalent of Bigfoot, the ALPS, you're the first I seen that has one. :pilot

Hasegawa 1/72 F-86D

I'm constantly impressed with how clean your work is. What airbrush are you using?

I have to add after many years of hearing about the modeling equivalent of Bigfoot, the ALPS, you're the first I seen that has one. :pilot

My Brother threw one out. :smack :bang head

Back