• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

GAVIA 1/48 Albatros D.I (last build details)

GAVIA 1/48 Albatros D.I (New photos wing mounted)

Thanks Mike and Luiz, much appreciated.

I unstrapped my little beast from it's harness tonight and while the upper wing can flex around, it is nicely aligned just as I wanted it.

Started working on more of the rigging. As I looked at it compared to other builds I have seen, it began to seem that my choice of material for the rigging might have been a little thin. I went to my reference book for the D.I and D.II and it appears from the photos that I was actually pretty close to the wire thickness. The flying wires on these are very thin. The thick areas around the turnbuckles are thinner than most of the fingers of workers and pilots in the photos and the wires are quite a bit thinner than those. I also figured out a way to thicken up the rigging in those areas without doing all the other weird things that I have seen done to represent the turnbuckles and such. Sorry no previews on what I am doing as I am still figuring out exactly how I am going to do it, but my first tests have worked quite well. All I need to do is add the proper length of material for the turnbuckles. :D

I am most impressed with the look of this so far. Brilliant work Paul!

Thanks Mark!

It really looks much better when not surrounded by all the clamps. It is also heavier than I expected it to be. I had not handled it (mostly) all together before last night. I am going to have to make one of the landing gear crossbars from brass as it was broken into 3 pieces on the sprue. I have the length reference and diameter of the part so it shouldn't be much of an issue. The rigging is going well. I had to make a long extra pointy tool last night so I could make the sharp holes for the undone lines. I am going to have to be careful when pulling the lines snug as there is some flex to the upper wing mounting. If I am not careful it will be pulled out of alignment by the rigging and we don't want that.

I will go in and work on it in a bit and maybe get the rest of the rigging done tonight. No new show episodes tonight so we shall see.

I will try and get some more pics but am really trying to focus on getting-it-dun!

I am making some serious headway. I am feeling like I am a bit further along than I had thought I would be. The majority of the rigging is done. The landing gear still has to be done but it shouldn't take that long. The prop also needs to be finished up and then attached. Lucky for me it isn't going to be a laminated one. Most of the photos show non-laminated wood props so that is what it will be.

Here are the pics.

ALb_D-I_140.jpg

ALb_D-I_141.jpg

ALb_D-I_142.jpg

ALb_D-I_143.jpg

Not sure how the photos will be here in the final stretch. If it keeps moving along this well I will have a few more in the next week. Problems will mean not so many. We shall see.

GAVIA 1/48 Albatros D.I (Rigging 04-04)

Still on track to finish this up this week. Exhaust is painted and on, landing gear is painted and on. I have the prop to finish painting, the rigging on the landing gear to attach, 2 other lines to the cowling and add turnbuckle detail, a flat coat, and steel/silver on the rigging. I am quite pleased with it so far and it has been a challenge. I am trying to not miss any of the little details that can shoot it in the butt, and so far am doing well.

Tomorrow I will paint the prop blades. Lucky in that these were not laminated so I can use some of the same process I used on the fuselage (only lighter). The spinner has been painted and needs to dry. Looks good and just as I wanted on the front of the fuselage with the nice gap around it. Hopefully Wednesday I will finish it up.

Some pics in the camera but no time to post them now.

Some pics in the camera but no time to post them now.

I got a lot of that going on right now. I also have Hobby Day coming up so even more will be added.

Looking forward to seeing this, congrats on getting so much done.

Looks amazing Paul! Nice clean rigging!

Looks like the wire worked out well!

Thanks for following along everyone, I am declaring this a finished build. Overall I am quite happy with it, I learned a bunch of things, practiced some things I did years ago and that still work well.

And the biggie:

Finished my first WWI plane and first biplane in about 30 years.

Here are some quick snaps before I hit the sack, let me know what you think.

ALb_D-I_144.jpg

ALb_D-I_145.jpg

ALb_D-I_146.jpg

ALb_D-I_147.jpg

ALb_D-I_148.jpg

Only will have a few detail pics to add for the final parts. If you are at the Tulsa show this Saturday, I will have it there. We will see how it rates, but I am pleased with how well it came out. It was an OK kit but had a lot of minor troublesome issues. Most of them I fixed, a couple I let be, couldn't really do anything about them. I have the 1/32 scale kit by Roden that I might tackle later on. It should go a lot easier as many of the things I fought with on this are built in on that kit.

One last bit of info, this is originally a D.II kit put out by Eduard. Gavia took that kit and made a conversion for building the D.I. So it had some big issues and I would not call it an easy kit due to the wing mounting and locating. I had to build in pinning for both the wing center and the landing gear. Luck was with me on the exhaust, but I will explain that later.

Ta, ta for now.

Looks great Paul, looking back I don't see what you did for the turnbuckles.

Fine finish, good luck at the show. (y)

Thanks Mike!

Looks great Paul, looking back I don't see what you did for the turnbuckles.

Fine finish, good luck at the show. (y)

It is one of the things that I will post next week. Pretty simple what I did, but looks a lot better than most I have seen posted. Definitely easier in some respects especially in 1/48th and smaller scales.

GAVIA 1/48 Albatros D.I (calling it done 4-13)

Thanks for looking in everyone!

I got a 1st place in the biplane category Saturday. The winner of best plane was a 1/32 scale He111 that looked pretty decent. Kind of hard for any tiny build to compete with a larger build. PaulW was surprised that it was as small as it is.

I might go back and do some paint highlights and tweaks sometime down the road just for grins and giggles. for the next amount of time I am going to be cleaning, weeding out stuff, rearranging and doing house work. Much of it has been long overdue.

I will post the details on the rigging and other bits in a few days, bear with me as I am also dealing with a spring cold and it has me dragging a bit.

Till next time! :D

Back