• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

GAVIA 1/48 Albatros D.I (last build details)

GAVIA 1/48 Albatros D.I (plywood done 1-1)

I'm surprised no one has come up with brass control horns for us. Guess we have to keep making them ourselves Paul.

Looks good!

The control horns that I made weren't even in the original kit. I cut the slots that they are in. There weren't even any slots in the wing originally. There are some PE control horns for the elevator. The rest is coming along well.

Very nice work and I think the mask work came out great,especially for the scale. The other alternative was to add printed wood decals and risk obscuring details under the film.

Regards,

Thanks Saul, much appreciated!

This has been a bit of a learning experience which is also part of why I decided to do it. So far this is going quite well and the next build should be quite a bit easier and better.

GAVIA 1/48 Albatros D.I (plywood done 1-1)

Remember I made some control horns for the Eindecker a while back, they didn't turn out bad, worth the effort.

GAVIA 1/48 Albatros D.I (some details 1-14)

I did paint the undersides of the wings earlier this week. Got a good look for the undersides. I am currently waiting for the paint to fully cure. I have been picking them up and giving a sniff to see if I can still detect paint smell. Yup, still there but getting fainter.

Once the undersides get fully cured I will go after the green brown upper sides. Have been holding off so that handling won't affect the applied paints.

This is looking fantastic Paul!! :notworthy :notworthy

One question though, the pics in the last instalment it looks like the upper body plywood is darker than when you first posted the painted plywood. Is that just me, lighting or did you try to darken it a bit?

This is looking fantastic Paul!! :notworthy :notworthy

One question though, the pics in the last instalment it looks like the upper body plywood is darker than when you first posted the painted plywood. Is that just me, lighting or did you try to darken it a bit?

Just re-read the post, perhaps it was the shading? either way, I think it looks better, toned down the "orangey" look!!

I missed a couple of panels by the cockpit when I first painted the fuselage and had to go back and paint them. I didn't quite get the clear coat color mached up with the touch up. Couldn't go back and redo it either as it would require a full strip redo of the whole fuselage.

Actually to the naked eye it isn't noticeable, but the camera with photo enhancement tends to enhance the difference.

It has been a couple of months since I updated this and I have a little bit of progress. If I can keep focused and keep doing a little at a time I should be able to get it done soon. Hopefully the hard part is now mostly done and I should be able to do the finishing touches.

Here are the photos.

ALb_D-I_124.jpg

ALb_D-I_125.jpg

ALb_D-I_126.jpg

ALb_D-I_127.jpg

ALb_D-I_128.jpg

ALb_D-I_129.jpg

ALb_D-I_130.jpg

ALb_D-I_131.jpg

Thanks for looking in!

Looks great, can't tell you had any issue. Take it slow Paul, you're doing fine. :popcorn

GAVIA 1/48 Albatros D.I (New photos 3-14)

For someone with little experience, you are doing far better than I would have done. Congrats on fixing that decal. It should all smooth out with a coat of gloss then semi-gloss or flat afterward. Your paint effects are magnificent. Looking forward to seeing more, but take your time and take it slow.

Paul, you can probably just tidy that aft section just a bit nd hand brush a coat of Future over it.

Cheers,Christian B)

Interesting! I made a post here last night from my desktop and it isn't here now. Been having a lot of trouble posting from my desktop lately and have yet to figure out what is going on. Only way to describe it is that it starts off OK then laggs out. I can type 4 or 5 words (sometimes more) before they finally show up on the screen. Tried something Bob suggested and found nothing. Only thing that seems to be affected is MA.

So what I posted last night was this:

Thanks so much for your kind comments everyone! They are much appreciated as usual. Did some more shading and painted the struts for the wings. Now to assemble and add on the ear radiators, the landing gear and tail skid, the top wing and struts and the rigging. I have been thinking on the rigging for a while and have done some preliminary stuff for it. No EZ line for me, I will be using some fine black nylon thread and even have some ideas for how to show the attachment wraps and such. More experiment time on it and we will see just how it turns out.

Hopefully more in a week or so. This is getting close to being done. (YAY!)

Paul, Ian also reported this issue but I have not been able to recreate it. Hard for me to fix something if I can't break it.

I'm using the full Reply dialog now and I don't seen any if this issue. I suspect that any trouble shooting I do will point to loading the latest greatest software for the website which is the next thing on my plate for the website upgrade.

Sorry you're having this problem, again if I can't break it I can't fix it. If anyone can identify the problem I might be able to put a fix in.

I really suspect it's something to do with the inline spell checker, maybe turn that off if you can. (we'll notice when you do... :rotf :rotf )

My tablet works just fine (and it doesn't have a spell checker) I am sure it is something to do with my desktop, but it only came up suddenly and has been messed up since. A little better tonight, but once I get a few lines in it starts to lag just slightly.

Anyway, have a great weekend all! :D (y)

Maybe it was google spell checker thing causing it. But for the life of me I can't get it to do it here. Biggest problem I have is my keyboard seems to be going.

Have a new update everyone. Been busy the last couple of days. I have a goal to try and get this finished in the next week and a half. If I do I will take it to Tulsa on the 14th and show it off. At this point about all I have left is some of the rigging, the landing gear and some detailing with final weathering.

So here is where she is at the moment.

ALb_D-I_132.jpg

ALb_D-I_133.jpg

ALb_D-I_134.jpg

ALb_D-I_135.jpg

ALb_D-I_136.jpg

ALb_D-I_137.jpg

ALb_D-I_138.jpg

ALb_D-I_139.jpg

The top wing is now fully mounted. Yes some of the rigging from the upper sides of the center strut to the lower wings is also done. I have some of the other rigging partially set already. I am using black monofilament nylon sewing thread which is working quite well. It takes a little care to set up and get the length correct but it is quite strong and I have use this technique before many years ago on a 1/72 He-51 float plane using stretched sprue. That one is still hanging in there after almost 30 years so I expect this will too.

One thing for sure, that's going to be the one most true and square biplane made. Looks swell Paul! :popcorn

GAVIA 1/48 Albatros D.I (New photos wing mounted)

Thanks for looking in Bob!

Like I said back at the beginning, this is a learning build. I have found on some of my earlier builds that using a jig really helps to see and solve problems before adding glue. It also allows the glue to set stronger since the parts don't move around once the glue has been added.

Back